• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting civvy maintenance licenses while still in the mob?

• Thread starter reddeathdrinker
  • Start date
R

reddeathdrinker

Anyone done it? How did you do it, pros and cons, and got any tips?

Cheers ta muchley

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Did it in 1989 and then I stayed in for another ten years due to the pension traps I fell in to! (Promotions and time to do till full pension etc)

However, The whole licensing system has changed in the last few years.
All you can do now is to go through the Modules for the licence you wish to get and log as many working hours on civil aircraft as you can.
On leaving the service you must have 1-year of logged experience on civil aircraft (not military types with civil equivalent) before you can ask for a licence - even if you have the modules under your belt.
I don't believe you can get a Licence whilst still serving - but nothing actually says that in the Regulations!?

My advice is:
If you have less than five years to do - and you want to work on aircraft when you leave - DO THE MODULES!

S

Sump plug

Greeting Folkes,

Having lit the blue touch paper and left the mob last year, i may be able to shed a little light on the subject.

You do need a year's logged civi exp if applying for a B1 Lic. However, if you go for an A Lic, depending time served, six is enough.

Good advice from Rigga, get Modules under your belt. I did a 3 month course during my last 6mths , boxed clever and saved up a years worth of leave entitlment and basicaly had my last 6months off! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Im now working for an airline down at Luton, not EJ or RA, its a culture shock, but the rewards are there if you want them.

If anybody wants any gen, I will try to help.

Cheers SP

ps..... I dont miss the mob at all....... it seems civi companies can cock up just as well as any sqn could!

Chocks away..........

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Maybe you should read Airmech again!
Try the ALAE discussions. It might be Union 'stuff' but its worth reading - and, in the end, it is likely to effect you in some way too!