• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting Backflighted

stormwell

LAC
Still at the application stage, though like to plan ahead.

I'm aware that if you're not up to scratch/fail at certain stages during recruit that you get backflighted to an earlier course to re-do where you failed to meet the required standard. I intend to avoid this happening, but realise it's still a possibility. My wife has expressed some concern if I do end up being backflighted.

Is there a limit on the number of times you can be backflighted and will it ultimately result in you being kicked out?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It really depends on a number of factors which I will try to list for you (and I may miss one or two so others feel free to chip in):

1. Fitness - it depends how much your fitness is lacking and what your attitude to fixing it is like. If you arrive unfit but puke your guts up trying to make the grade they will give you more chances than someone who arrives unfit and gives up easily.

2. Injury - If you injured yourself in training then they have to fix you and give you another chance. This could take months of rehab but you will slot into the next course once you are pronounced fit to train again. The report back from the Physios and PTI's (often the same people) will guide your flight commanders thinking on how many chances you get...genuine effort to get better and improve/maintain your fitness throughout does you better than 'did the minimum and fitness has suffered due to lack of motivation'.

3. Attitude to military life - You can be at the head of the pack in a run but if you can't buckle down and take orders/work as a team you will fail on attitude. Some arrive and initially find it difficult and either 'learn' or 'walk' back into civvy street. Some do not and have to be told to try again or no thanks. This also extends to levels of hygiene and attention to detail with your uniform, although that last point isn't singularly big enough to get you a re-course.

4. Credibility - You might be fit enough and shout 'sir yes sir' at the right times and in the right way but if you lack credibility i.e. lie, mislead or are seen as dodgy you will be on thin ice with your flight commander. Credibility is huge at Cranwell...let me give you an example: I saw one of my course get his marching orders because he was asked to do a calculation on his Dalton Calculator (big wheel that spins around and tells you when you will arrive at some nav point in the air). The instructor gave him the task and turned to do something...student pressed the screen on with all the nav information that the instructor had just turned off to see what the computer reckoned the ETA was going to be and quickly turned it off again. The instructor saw him do it out of the corner of his eye and asked him what his answer was. Student pretended to use the Dalton and gave him the exact right answer despite the wheels not being used correctly. That foolish action cost him his shot at flying forever as he was 'vamoosed' on landing.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I was backflighted a week due to a medical issue thus missing a GDT introduction to the SLR rifle which could not be missed or done on my own. As to the number of times you can be backflighted a mate on my original flight was still on week one when I passed out 8 weeks later. I expect his ghost is still wondering around Swinderby to this day!Thus they don't give up on you unless you are a total loss. Work hard and do as you are told and you cannot go far wrong

stormwell

LAC
Cheers for that guys.

Wife's family has been military going back to Victorian times, heck the mother-in-law who's an ex-army nurse grinds her teeth about the 'standards' on NHS wards. So understand joining the military involves the right mindset and willingness to work hard.

@GD on Wheels; nice Creed pic.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As to the number of times you can be backflighted a mate on my original flight was still on week one when I passed out 8 weeks later.
On transiting Sleaford tech the second time (in case the first wasn't enough) there were people on Med recourse who had been there 20 months, but surely the most soul destroying was the Pizzagate affair in 2014, a matter of days before graduation - leaving some back at square 1 on a 12 month course.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
On transiting Sleaford tech the second time (in case the first wasn't enough) there were people on Med recourse who had been there 20 months, but surely the most soul destroying was the Pizzagate affair in 2014, a matter of days before graduation - leaving some back at square 1 on a 12 month course.
Please spill the beans for those of us that have never heard of the "Pizzagate affair".

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Please spill the beans for those of us that have never heard of the "Pizzagate affair".
Pizzagate, as far as I can recall, involved some unwholesome behaviour best kept indoors of College Hall. Like has browns at breakfast, it's alluded to only in context and never discussed in polite society

ERT

Corporal
Still at the application stage, though like to plan ahead.

I'm aware that if you're not up to scratch/fail at certain stages during recruit that you get backflighted to an earlier course to re-do where you failed to meet the required standard. I intend to avoid this happening, but realise it's still a possibility. My wife has expressed some concern if I do end up being backflighted.

Is there a limit on the number of times you can be backflighted and will it ultimately result in you being kicked out?

Unsure if your around, but 19 years ago, i was "back flighted" on Phase 2 training.

I went from being the worst, least confidence in a task to being the strongest on the course behind me. The only penalty was time, my time, and i left Phase 2 training a few weeks later than planned.

Looking back, the system is a massive sausage factory, and i was glad to be able to go back a course, spend some time learning when i didn't understand, and move on...

The system isnt in place to fail you, its to be bring you on. If you dont understand something, and the course has to move on, they will leave you behind at that point and be picked up by the next course... the RAF (or the whole MOD) dont want to waste money on training people (that they have selected to join), then to toss them out onto the street.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The system isnt in place to fail you, its to be bring you on. If you dont understand something, and the course has to move on, they will leave you behind at that point and be picked up by the next course... the RAF (or the whole MOD) dont want to waste money on training people (that they have selected to join), then to toss them out onto the street.
I would agree in general terms BUT if you are backflighted for any reason then you absolutely must be seen to be putting in the effort to move forward; whether that be by studying, doing your physio, working on your fitness or whatever. Your efforts will be key to being seen to be worth persevering with.

stormwell

LAC
Cheers.

It's mainly something I wanted to ask about to reassure the wife who, quite reasonably, is worried about me being in a situation where I get rejected by the RAF and have no job to fall back on.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Cheers.

It's mainly something I wanted to ask about to reassure the wife who, quite reasonably, is worried about me being in a situation where I get rejected by the RAF and have no job to fall back on.
You seem switched on enough to me. Don’t overthink it.

fourteen2two

Corporal
I worked at Cosford for years as RAF instructor on trade training, then as a civvy . It was not that common for students to be back coursed. Some struggled with academics and theory on tech courses.
We would give them extra training and resits rather than recoursing. It could be tricky if to back course if the courses behind were full.
If they were not working hard they would be encouraged to do better. Interviews without coffee with the Flt Commander would also follow.
It was rare to cease training.
My entry at Swinditz had a couple backflighted for illness or injury.

ERT

Corporal
I would agree in general terms BUT if you are backflighted for any reason then you absolutely must be seen to be putting in the effort to move forward; whether that be by studying, doing your physio, working on your fitness or whatever. Your efforts will be key to being seen to be worth persevering with.

I was backflighted for not performing a "hinge line check" on the JP before moving the flying control surfaces. I didnt realise i had missed it until the end. Something simple, but a fail meant i was to go back in LTF.

On the next task, i was the safety man, and of course i asked the "cockpit operator" if they had performed a "hinge link check" before they moved the control surfaces...as they forgot.... :censored:

On my next course, hinge line checks stuck with me..