• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Get some in'

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
This is my first post on here. Does anyone know which RAF Station(s) 'Get some in' was filmed at?

Not sure about the earlier series; but the last series was - at least in part - filmed at RAF Halton (I remember watching it being filmed when I was a kid).

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not sure about the earlier series; but the last series was - at least in part - filmed at RAF Halton (I remember watching it being filmed when I was a kid).

Yes, scenes from 'RAF Midham' and 'RAF Hospital Druidswater' were certainly filmed at Halton, mainly around the guardroom and near the (current) WAAF block.

laugemsue

LAC

I was at Halton when the filming was done.
the main building used was the old guardroom on Appo's Hill. At top on left.
Some filming was also done on the Appo's Hill parade square.
When they arrived in the 3 tonner we were at the gates of Appo's Hill on the way to the airfield side.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I was at Halton when the filming was done.
the main building used was the old guardroom on Appo's Hill. At top on left.
Some filming was also done on the Appo's Hill parade square.
When they arrived in the 3 tonner we were at the gates of Appo's Hill on the way to the airfield side.

Which illustrates the difference between Services. In 1960, the papers got hold of a notice put on the TV set at a pongo RTS (possibly RA at Oswestry, I'm not sure): "This set will not be used for watching a programme called 'The Army Game'".

G

Gord

Appos Hill? Are you referring to the hill and road that passed by the station commanders house which was on the right hand side about halfway up HENDERSON HILL and Henderson Square that you have referred to as Appos Square?

I have never heard of an Appos anything at Halton but then with today's failure to correctly use the English language and instead opting for abbreviations and concocted terms I suppose I am very likely considered a dinosaur.

T

Tubby

He is probably referring to the time techies were taught there. Appos, I think, were trained at Halton at one point.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Appos Hill? Are you referring to the hill and road that passed by the station commanders house which was on the right hand side about halfway up HENDERSON HILL and Henderson Square that you have referred to as Appos Square?

I have never heard of an Appos anything at Halton but then with today's failure to correctly use the English language and instead opting for abbreviations and concocted terms I suppose I am very likely considered a dinosaur.

Did you mean the Station Commander's house?

Last edited:
G

Gord

Did you mean the Station Commander's house?

Touche,:biggrin::biggrin: I apologise for failing to insert the apostrophe, an oversight created by attempting to type too fast whilst using only two fingers. I never did learn how to type properly, I was too busy fixing aeroplanes.:wink::biggrin:

WTF is an APPO though? When I was there, we referred to ourselves as Apprentices as did everyone else on the base.

ps Yes, I know there's an accent over the e in touche missing, I'm afraid I'm not computer literate enough to manage that.

Last edited:

TARDE85

LAC
When I went through Cosford, in '84 to early '86, apprentices were commonly referred to as Appos. I guess the term came into use after your time Gord.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I went through Cosford, in '84 to early '86, apprentices were commonly referred to as Appos. I guess the term came into use after your time Gord.

Same period for me but at Halton and they were always known as Appo's then, or gayboys, w@nkers, knee-boys or similar if it was a fitter talking about them...

G

Gord

Same period for me but at Halton and they were always known as Appo's then, or gayboys, w@nkers, knee-boys or similar if it was a fitter talking about them...
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Nice try but I won't be biting, I think you need to try some fresh bait.:wink:

Having gone through the three years training offered at Halton in "my time" and graduating as an "Airframe Fitter", I never referred to the lads at Halton as anything but Apprentices.

Mind you, while I was there I must admit I ran into a few Apprentices who were also c*nts, tw@ts, Richard heads, pecker heads, arseholes, bar stewards and a variety of other descriptions but they were merely ancillary to their positions as Apprentices.:wink::biggrin:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Just to add further confusion, I seem to remember Halton trained fitters being referred to as ex-brats !

I know a former boy entrant (as opposed to aircraft apprentice - after 1964 craft apprentice as opposed to technician apprentice) who always refers to himself as an ex-brat.

Incidentally, a grammar school 5th former (aged 16) from the place I was brought (?) up in the 50s got into Halton as an aircraft apprentice, and it was considered to be such a success it was reported in the local paper complete with photo.

Last edited:
G

Gord

I know a former boy entrant (as opposed to aircraft apprentice - after 1964 craft apprentice as opposed to technician apprentice) who always refers to himself as an ex-brat.

Incidentally, a grammar school 5th former (aged 16) from the place I was brought (?) up in the 50s got into Halton as an aircraft apprentice, and it was considered to be such a success it was reported in the local paper complete with photo.
Halton had such a good reputation that when i was there, we had apprentices from numerous countries vying for a spot and indeed had lads from South Africa, Ceylon, now (Sri Lanka of course) Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) Venezuala and several other countries that i can't quite remember at the moment.

Apprentices were known as Trenchard's Brats by those who were already members of the RAF because it was Trenchard who promoted the Apprenticeship program and convince the MoD, or WD at that point in time, that it would provide the RAF with skilled tradesmen who would be invaluable in the future of the Royal Air Force and Apprentices and EX Apprentices have worn that moniker proudly ever since. I still consider myself an Ex Brat, it gives one a community to belong to regardless of which entry one may have belonged to.

The term Brat was applied to those who attended Halton, Locking and I believe Cosford, though I could be wrong on the latter. Boy Entrants were not considered Brats for some reason, perhaps because upon graduating from their 18 month course they were not considered fully qualified tradesment and so had to go through the same routine as other recruits, in order to obtain that position whereas an Apprentice after 3 years training graduated as a fitter and therefore fully qualified and given that little extra bit of trade pay that came with the rank of Junior Technician so were perhaps considered to have been given an unfair leg up by those having to spend a lot longer before they could attain that rank and were in many cases somewhat Jealous of the supposed advantage given to the Apprentices. At least that's the way it was when I was in.

I joined the RAF at Halton during my fifth year at a Secondary Modern School in Portsmouth, I was 15 and a little over 9 months My birthday is March 26th and I joined January 6th 1960. Most of my mates were in the same age range, between 15 1/2 and 16 1/2. We signed on for 12 years following our 18th birthday and that 12 years and our training period before our 18th birthday was considered NON pensionable supposedly in order to pay for the training we were receiving at the government's expense.

Some of our lads therefore served 14.5 yrs of non pensionable service until they were given the order of the boot in the 70's as being surplus to requirements.

F*ckin' rip off if you ask me but that was the system at the time.

Last edited:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Halton had such a good reputation that when i was there, we had apprentices from numerous countries vying for a spot and indeed had lads from South Africa, Ceylon, now (Sri Lanka of course) Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) Venezuala and several other countries that i can't quite remember at the moment.

Apprentices were known as Trenchard's Brats by those who were already members of the RAF because it was Trenchard who promoted the Apprenticeship program and convince the MoD, or WD at that point in time, that it would provide the RAF with skilled tradesmen who would be invaluable in the future of the Royal Air Force and Apprentices and EX Apprentices have worn that moniker proudly ever since. I still consider myself an Ex Brat, it gives one a community to belong to regardless of which entry one may have belonged to.

The term Brat was applied to those who attended Halton, Locking and I believe Cosford, though I could be wrong on the latter. Boy Entrants were not considered Brats for some reason, perhaps because upon graduating from their 18 month course they were not considered fully qualified tradesment and so had to go through the same routine as other recruits, in order to obtain that position whereas an Apprentice after 3 years training graduated as a fitter and therefore fully qualified and given that little extra bit of trade pay that came with the rank of Junior Technician so were perhaps considered to have been given an unfair leg up by those having to spend a lot longer before they could attain that rank and were in many cases somewhat Jealous of the supposed advantage given to the Apprentices. At least that's the way it was when I was in.

I joined the RAF at Halton during my fifth year at a Secondary Modern School in Portsmouth, I was 15 and a little over 9 months My birthday is March 26th and I joined January 6th 1960. Most of my mates were in the same age range, between 15 1/2 and 16 1/2. We signed on for 12 years following our 18th birthday and that 12 years and our training period before our 18th birthday was considered NON pensionable supposedly in order to pay for the training we were receiving at the government's expense.

Some of our lads therefore served 14.5 yrs of non pensionable service until they were given the order of the boot in the 70's as being surplus to requirements.

F*ckin' rip off if you ask me but that was the system at the time.

Until 1963 there was a distinction between 'skilled tradesmen' and 'advanced tradesmen' (on higher pay with better promotion prospects) in all trades, not just techies. Where such words applied, there was a distinction between 'mechanics' (skilled) and 'fitters' (advanced). In TG9 where I then lurked Operations Clerks were skilled tradesmen and Aerodrome Traffic Controllers were advanced tradesmen (I'll not bang on about changes 1 Apr 63 onwards). Boy entrants passed out as SACs in a skilled trade (something they could have got in a year if they'd waited until 17yrs 6mnths before enlisting). Aircraft apprentices passed out as J/Ts or exceptionally as Cpls or as baby engineering branch officers at RAFTC Henlow. Skilled tradesmen who had signed on for at least nine years could take an advanced course, in due course, if you don't mind the pun. Only advanced tradesmen were eligible for branch commissions over 30. Like you say, Gord, a rip-off.

I haven't seen my friend recently but I'm pretty sure he said he was at Cosford.

G

Gord

Until 1963 there was a distinction between 'skilled tradesmen' and 'advanced tradesmen' (on higher pay with better promotion prospects) in all trades, not just techies. Where such words applied, there was a distinction between 'mechanics' (skilled) and 'fitters' (advanced). In TG9 where I then lurked Operations Clerks were skilled tradesmen and Aerodrome Traffic Controllers were advanced tradesmen (I'll not bang on about changes 1 Apr 63 onwards). Boy entrants passed out as SACs in a skilled trade (something they could have got in a year if they'd waited until 17yrs 6mnths before enlisting). Aircraft apprentices passed out as J/Ts or exceptionally as Cpls or as baby engineering branch officers at RAFTC Henlow. Skilled tradesmen who had signed on for at least nine years could take an advanced course, in due course, if you don't mind the pun. Only advanced tradesmen were eligible for branch commissions over 30. Like you say, Gord, a rip-off.

I haven't seen my friend recently but I'm pretty sure he said he was at Cosford.

We had at least one, possibly two who went on to officer training at Cranwell. Not sure if there were others who went elsewhere. We also had a couple or three who graduated as Cpls but I was thankful just to graduate as a J/T.

There's a story behind that but I'll not go into that here.

Oh yes, we also had a couple of lads dishonourably discharged after getting as p!ssed as rat's and then waiting in the bushes behind Henderson guardroom and beating the living sh!t out of a couple of lads from a junior entry, putting one of them in the hospital with very severe injuries. They each spent quite a long time in Colchester before being kicked out and probably underwent a fair bit of punishment themselves before being booted out.

Funny thing is, neither one of them seemed to be the type of person who would even dream of behaving in that fashion. I guess booze can bring out a lot of nasty characteristics in some people.