• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gas and leckie going up....Your thoughts?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Luckily I signed a 24 month fixed price deal last year so whatever happens I'm OK in the short term, next year might be a bit of a shock. Business is business the companies that remain viable will survive the ones that aren't will fold. I wish the execs of the smaller firms would be a little clearer in their statements and instead of as referring to "needing government intervention" simply say we are "needing a bailout using tax payers money"

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I increased my direct debit a few months ago when prices started to rise so help ensure I don’t suddenly get a big bill.

Let’s see how this flows into the Sep inflation figures.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We're well in credit on the Electric direct debit thanks to not reducing it when my 2nd son left home (what was he doing, ffs, bottling the stuff to sell on the black market....?), but the gas we pay as & when the bills come in so we'll notice that when it goes up.....

ERT

Corporal
Locked into a deal with Octopus until Feb 2023. Beyond that, unknown.

I dont think prices will come back down. They will use the drop in wholesale prices to recoup some of the profit losses before the fixed deal "ends".

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've been picking up log deals past couple of weeks...I can heat half the house with that and turn the thermostat down on the gas.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've been picking up log deals past couple of weeks...I can heat half the house with that and turn the thermostat down on the gas.
Heathen - all that locked up carbon being released into the atmosphere... you planet destroyer.... please provide your details to XR & Insulate Britain forthwith so that they can come & glue themselves to your driveway (and hopefully get them away from the M25 et al.....) :D :D

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Watching BBC breakfast this morning there was a guy on there who recycles & composts as much as possible; he is even willinng to be composted himself when he pops his clogs....

Brings a whole new meaning to 'putting his heart & soul into his garden'......

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
My fixed tariff comes to an end on 30 Sep. Fortunately I'm about £150 in credit so the next 3-4 months on the new tariff wont hurt too much. Like Vim, I've got a multifuel stove and a garage full of wood, so I anticipate that being used more this winter than in previous ones.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Watching BBC breakfast this morning there was a guy on there who recycles & composts as much as possible; he is even willinng to be composted himself when he pops his clogs....

Brings a whole new meaning to 'putting his heart & soul into his garden'......
Solent Green anyone :unsure:

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
As I have got close to bugger all cash in the bank, living alone and down to my last scraps of food. I am at the ripe age soon of 58 with no work hence no income. So this year gas is off electrics is nominal and selling my household goods is my top priority.:cry:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
As I have got close to bugger all cash in the bank, living alone and down to my last scraps of food. I am at the ripe age soon of 58 with no work hence no income. So this year gas is off electrics is nominal and selling my household goods is my top priority.:cry:
Any other options...cannibalism??? Sheep herding???

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Don't have much choice over here (NI). Still on Oil fired central heating, but got cavity wall insulation 2 years ago (I did notice the difference). Have solar on the roof generating 4KW, into deep cycle batteries anything I don't use is sold back to the company. I have gas for my hob and the oven is electric, I also have a generator in the garage as we frequently get power cuts due to where I live out in the sticks. we have an open fire at the min but seriously looking at a boiler stove that heats the central heating system, as I have an abundance of wood in my vicinity.

foxOneFive

Corporal
You have to wonder if there is a certain amount of "over egging" going on here?
Minister on the wireless today stated that the UK supplies itself with 50% gas and friendly Norway sells us 30%

foxOneFive

Corporal
"People's energy" went last week and apparently "Bulb and Green energy" are in deep dodo, and they certainly are some of the bigger of the smallest companies

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Soylent Green anyone :unsure:
Slightly off topic but Soylent green is a film well worth finding and watching a dystopian view of a world that has run out of all food resources but one. Your fellow humans. Starring Charlton Heston and Edward G Robinson in his final film role. Very 70's but thought provoking

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
"People's energy" went last week and apparently "Bulb and Green energy" are in deep dodo, and they certainly are some of the bigger of the smallest companies
The plot thickens, that might be why Bulb 'told' me last week that my DD is going up to £200 per month despite me only using £145 of Gas / Lecky on average and being in credit........🤔