• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Functional skills alternatives

adsdcc

LAC
Hi all,

Just reading the PRTC joining instructions and they talk about alternatives to the functional skills quals so you don't have to do the exams.

FS.JPG

Is it right that if you have GCSE maths and English at grade C or above that you don't have to do the assessments? or am I just reading it wrong? Obviously would rather not do them if I can get away with it!

Thanks in advance

unruly1986

Sergeant
Hi all,

Just reading the PRTC joining instructions and they talk about alternatives to the functional skills quals so you don't have to do the exams.

View attachment 14014

Is it right that if you have GCSE maths and English at grade C or above that you don't have to do the assessments? or am I just reading it wrong? Obviously would rather not do them if I can get away with it!

Thanks in advance

You might not have to do the assessments, but even if you do, it will be a minor event in the grand scheme of things. They aren't that difficult.

adsdcc

LAC
You might not have to do the assessments, but even if you do, it will be a minor event in the grand scheme of things. They aren't that difficult.

I know they aren't, but it's just whether I take the time to go over a load of GCSE maths stuff again or not. I will email the AFCO and see what they say about it. Cheers

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Unless things have changed, you'll do the Assessments as part of your Pre RTC.

I'd go over the stuff anyway, you know, as part of 'striving for EXCELLENCE'... You know, one of those Core Values you'll be expected to eat, sleep and breath by... 🙄

adsdcc

LAC

I'd go over the stuff anyway, you know, as part of 'striving for EXCELLENCE'... You know, one of those Core Values you'll be expected to eat, sleep and breath by... 

hahaa I see your point! It just seems daft when I've got a degree and 4 years work experience that I'd have to do quals for a 16 year old haha. Will suck it up I guess!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was made to do Key Skills Level 2 at Cosford, despite having a HNC, 10 GCSEs and Three A Levels.

It's something you just have to suck up and do, they aren't exactly demanding qualifications.

Elwood

SAC
I could be out of date, but I was there when the screening tests were brought in. At the time we were at pains to point out that they were not part of a selection process, but to see whether the recruit had any specific learning difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia. This is NOT a screen from selection, (I know of at least 2 Wing Commanders with SpLDs & Winston Churchill was dyslexic!) and RTS will do what they can to aid training - written hand outs, printing on coloured paper, more time in exams, ..........

Just do the tests and let RTS do their stuff.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I'd go over the stuff anyway, you know, as part of 'striving for EXCELLENCE'... You know, one of those Core Values you'll be expected to eat, sleep and breath by... 

I would agree with what MBH has said, considering he knows more than most about RTC.

hahaa I see your point! It just seems daft when I've got a degree and 4 years work experience that I'd have to do quals for a 16 year old haha. Will suck it up I guess!

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. In my line of work, all new starters, irrelevant of past experience, or qualification have to undergo screening with basic testing to more advanced testing. The process is not designed to humiliate or remove the value of a person. (They would not be working in my field if they had not already made the grade). The testing is used to help identify training requirements so that courses can be booked and planned in to the department work schedules. Conversely, the identified, individual strengths of a person can be exploited for the benefit of everyone.

MattBombHead

Sergeant

Also, Elwood, Talk Wrench and Monty have brought excellent reasons for the 'Assessments'.

I remember several recruits from my time at RTS that were diagnosed with SpLDs through FS testing (as well as other means) who's lives (at least in training) were made immeasurably better by the diagnosis, so there are valid reasons for them.

adsdcc

LAC
Just to confirm, if you hand your educational certificates in you DO NOT have to do the main functional skills tests anymore and you get to go home a day early too. You do, however, still have to do the BKSB tests which are simple literacy and numeracy tests which, as you say, can identify some special learning difficulties. We also had to do a speaking and listening group discussion as the RAF don't consider the GCSE speaking and listening tests sufficient to satisfy this part of the FS qualification.

Hope that clears it up for others who might (probably won't) be wondering the same.