• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Free Kindle Books

S

squipper01

After a lot of thought i've just taken the plunge and purchased a kindle 3.

Anyone got some suggestions as to what books to load on it ?

Only got four months left of a six month det to work through them !

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Anyone got some suggestions as to what books to load on it ?
It really depends on the type/genre of 'normal' paper books that you read. Give us a clue and we can probably make some suggestions - I don't mean to be arsey but before you had the Kindle there was probably a public library or bookshop close to your house, did you ask us/anyone what books you should get before going to the library/bookshop?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It really depends on the type/genre of 'normal' paper books that you read. Give us a clue and we can probably make some suggestions - I don't mean to be arsey but before you had the Kindle there was probably a public library or bookshop close to your house, did you ask us/anyone what books you should get before going to the library/bookshop?

That's what I was thinking. Just be aware amazon make it so easy to download a book by it's one click payment and before you know it you've spent a fair wedge. Lol

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm catching up on books which I missed out on before asda came I'm and smashed the net book agreement. I'm currently spending £30 on books. New releases are so cheap compared to even what amazon are selling them for

W

wgaf

'The girl with the dragon tattoo' series-Stieg Larsson. Quite hard work to start with but great once you've got into them they're very good. Mad, Bad and dangerous to know-Sir Ranulph Fiennes, warts and all from the great man. 'Blood sweat and a cup of tea' 'More blood more sweat and another cup of tea' Tom Reynolds- They'll have you in tears of laughter and sorrow. Thats a start.
Oh and anything free! But that may be because I'm a well known tight @rse.

G

gemarriott

I have loads of freebies but the books I paid for include Bernard Cornwell's series about the vikings and Alfred the great, starts with the Last Kingdom. Terrific read.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have loads of freebies but the books I paid for include Bernard Cornwell's series about the vikings and Alfred the great, starts with the Last Kingdom. Terrific read.

I spent £20 on books last night it's so easy to press that button. one book is nor due for publication until the middle of February mind you

Vagabond

Sergeant
Conn Iguldenn, four books on Ceaser, great ancient history fiction as are Simon Scarrow's on Napolean and Wellington. Bernard Cornwells Vagabond series and I agree with Gem on his Alfred ones. This is if you like military history.

Just read Blackwater, its about the private security company and is an excellent read.

Last edited:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Simon Scarrow, four books on Ceaser, great ancient history fiction as are his four on Napolean and Wellington. Bernard Cornwells Vagabond series and I agree with Gem on his Alfred ones. This is if you like military history.

Just read Blackwater, its about the private security company and is an excellent read.

Is that by Jeremy scahill

zyonsbimp

LAC
Depends on what you want I have a large collection of ebooks in all different formats for which Calibre is a brilliant tool for organising and managing your collection (also converts them into whatever format you want)

See PM

S

squipper01

I would just like to thank everyone who has taken the time to post on this thread.

It is the best think I think i have every purchased for being on det

:pDT_Xtremez_26:

May I commend to you Picking Up The Brass by 'Eddy Nugent'. Written by two Pongos who started a thread on ARRSE and subsequently published it.

It is about the trials and tribulations of joining the Army in the mid 80s as a Siggy. Even though it is Army orientated you will have a lot of spat coffee v Kindle moments of laughter as a lot of it carries across to the experiences of us in blue.

I have just started the sequel Eddy Nugent and the Map of Africa and it is just as good.

Jimps

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Cheers Hu,

Don't have a Kindle so I downloaded the Kindle for PC & just grabbed the book.

Many thanks again!