• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For the older codgers amongst us

stereolab

Station Cashier
January 1971 for me, memories of a cold R and I camp in Sherwood Forest, never did get to meet Robin Hood either. In best blue delivering roller skates to an orphanage or similar type home and helping the kids have some fun with them on Lindum hill in Lincoln.
April 1972, went to Sherwood Forest twice, as I was backflighted due to slight injury. Having seen the first week through ok, I elected to volunteer as a steward for the second trip. Good decision, early mornings but most of the day was free of any hassle from instructors. Very mild conditions, thankfully. GST2 at Hereford in 1984, at the height of Summer.

Keef

LAC
Dec 74 for me 16 1/2 years old! We were the first flights' in the new blocks Gibson and Cheshire (8 and 9 flt). The blocks were not offically opened until our pass-out parade. I could never work out why I took the Queens Shilling on Tues Dec 17th, Swinditz on 18th and home Friday 20th for 2 weeks Leave - would have made sense to start in Jan. However, Pass-out parade was taken by Cheshire himself, one of Gibsons relatives (Widow I think) opened that block, and we had 3 Vulcan flypast from 617 .

I guess our pass-out date was the only one when all those elements came together and they worked back 6 weeks from there , hence the Dec start.

Sort of enjoyed time there, damn cold with drainage ditch jumping on the morning run, Sgt Faulks (Lepse, Lepse, Lepse aight, Lepse!) was our SNCO, can't remember the Cpl's name but we had JC for a few days whilst he was off sick (Deep joy!) Bed pack out of the window twice, Sherwood forest for field training, someone fell off the assault course and broke his arm so we came back early. Remember guard duty week 5? P***ing down with rain 3am corner of hanger with broken gutter, got my new flasher mac soaked!

Happy Days

Deltaitem

Corporal
Christ, but you're all a bunch of deadpool daisy-pushers, makes me feel young!
'89, Nettleton Block. I was in 11 Flight, alongside 4,5 and A Flights. A very naiive, gentle intro into military life, as it should be for a bunch of youngsters who didn't know how to cook, iron or make a their own bed.
And I'm way too embarrassed to point myself out, so don't even ask.11251_209537373973_747363973_4114622_3558530_n.jpg

Hot Shoes

Corporal
As suggested, we shall all guess.

Are you front row, seventh from the left?

3 years earlier we were in a more modern block, cannot remember the name but it must have been less of a **** to clean than the brass and wooden floors

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As suggested, we shall all guess.

Are you front row, seventh from the left?

3 years earlier we were in a more modern block, cannot remember the name but it must have been less of a **** to clean than the brass and wooden floors
I was in one of those 'modern' looking blocks (might have been Gibson?) in 86 and they were alright (not that I had anything to compare and contrast against. Then got bussed to Halton to the block that overlooked/was opposite the Burnett gym, ex-permanent staff block so we all got single rooms with a hot and cold running toilet in the corner but feck it was old and a piece of sh1t to keep clean (in fact a piece of shit would have been easier to keep clean).

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was in one of those 'modern' looking blocks (might have been Gibson?) in 86 and they were alright (not that I had anything to compare and contrast against. Then got bussed to Halton to the block that overlooked/was opposite the Burnett gym, ex-permanent staff block so we all got single rooms with a hot and cold running toilet in the corner but feck it was old and a piece of sh1t to keep clean (in fact a piece of shit would have been easier to keep clean).
Blimey it's a small world Vim also Gibson block (79) and also when at Halton in the block overlooking Burnet gym. Years later Sgt TB was the block SNCO for the same block opposite Burnett and yes it was almost impossible to keep clean and the work services list was always long and largely ignored by the system.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Christ, but you're all a bunch of deadpool daisy-pushers, makes me feel young!
'89, Nettleton Block. I was in 11 Flight, alongside 4,5 and A Flights. A very naiive, gentle intro into military life, as it should be for a bunch of youngsters who didn't know how to cook, iron or make a their own bed.
And I'm way too embarrassed to point myself out, so don't even ask.View attachment 1011882
Mar 80 Nettleton Block for me, bottom left room then shifted to bottom right.