• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flt Lt P J Maitland's tankard

A couple of days ago I found a typical pewter tankard - somewhat battered- abandoned in a local hedge. It is engraved " Presented to Flt It P J Maitland by 80 P R squadron June 1960 to Jan 1963". I thought it might be of some sentimental value to the recipient or a member of his family. I should be very happy to post it on to a claimant.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No idea but there was Maitland Square and Maitland Mess at a certain station near Wendover so perhaps your find may have a lot of relevance

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hmm, a quick Google turned up this from the oldcranwellians which shows a Peter Maitland graduating from Cranwell as part of C Sqdn of 76 entry in 1959. I guess he could have been a Flt Lt 4 years later. Interestingly, it also shows that 76 Entry included one M J Graydon who, of course went on to be CAS (I knew him as OC 11 Sqdn in the late 1970's). The page also shows that Peter Maitland died of natural causes in 2013. At the time in question (60 - 63) 80 Sqdn were flying Canberras out of Bruggen so it is conceivable that he went to another UK based Canberra Sqdn in 1963.

A check of the FreeBMD website shows 2 Peter J Maitlands born between 1935 & 1940 (a speculative date range based on a likely age at graduation), one in Epping and one in Gosport. There is one marriage for a Peter J Maitland, in 1969 in Alton which is, of course, not a million miles away from both Gosport and RAF Odiham. (There are other entries for Peter Maitlands btw)

I also turned up a news story from Feb 1961 to the effect that a Fg Off Peter Maitland, son of AVM Maitland of East Harptree, had just completed a winter survival course in the Bavarian Alps.

None of which, of course is definitively linked to the pewter tankard nor does it show where his surviving family may be today but may be of help in taking the search forward. Another idea might be to put an ad in Air Mail, the magazine of the RAF Association, and see if that turns anything up. Service careers, especially at officer ranks tend to run in families so there may be a surviving Maitland still around and reading Air Mail.

I hope that the tankard can be reunited with a rightful owner.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
The squadron reformed, when No 80 Squadron was renumbered, just over a month later on 1 August 1955 as a photo-reconnaissance unit in RAF Germany at Laarbruch. Equipped with Canberra PR Mk 7s, it moved to Bruggen in June 1957 and remained there until disbanding on 28 September 1969.

Maybe contact the Canberra Heritage Trust. http://canberraheritage.co.uk/

They'd be happy to have a little bit of memorabilia from that time I'm sure. They'll look after it until it finds its rightful owner.

Last edited: