• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flight Safety Awards

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Just reading the latest "flight saftey flyer", why do the Runway Controllers get commendations for doing their job? If they werent supposed to spot crap on the runways or panels open on aircraft then they wouldnt be issued with binoculars.

F

fugmeister general

I agree with both of u on this one I think that they should call it the "specksavers award" for air traffic controllers. What is so annoying is that if a Techie finds a serious problem and it was not to do with the job he is directly doing at the time he gets a pat on the back and thats it!! but air traffickers have to shout it from the roof tops and swing from the chandelier!! i might seem a bit of a disgruntled techie but god does it annoy me when they get one for doing there job:mad:

H

HilstonPols

Totally agree SSH, I was once told that my SATCO wanted to put me forward for a Good Show after spotting a Harrier with a flag left in. I asked , politely not to be put forward to avoid the embarrassement. If I had not spotted the huge great big and bright red/white flag fluttering beneath the Grey GR7 then they had my permission to shoot me.:eek:

I still cringe whenI think about, thankfully he did not put me forward and life continued normally.

B

Bluntend

I think this ties in well with other threads about how in the past we used to strive for excellence - these days we aim purely for adequacy. I must admit I'm anti the whole idea that we should reward people for doing exactly what they are paid to do. That said, when things happen and individuals do genuinely perform well over and above that which is expected, then their actions be recognised formally.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
In the latest flyer a bloke gets one for spotting a flat tyre!!! Does that mean next time some old geezer flashes me for having a flatty, I have to buy him a happy meal and present it with a cheesy grin.

Might put a Gems in for a waste of time, effort and paper award!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Jesus and spotting one with no wheels on the approach!! It probably had the computer generated voice of "bitching betty" in the cockpit shouting "wheels wheels!!" as he spotted it with his bins!

If he had run down the stairs from local, jumped in the ATC landrover (kicking out the controllers too lazy to walk home), drove across the airfield at 30mph and pulled the wheels down with his teeth then fook me readers, tea and medals is the way forward. However, saying the gear is not down between slurps of coffee and bites of donuts and getting an award is quite frankly bang out of order

We used to teach gear checks in sims at Shawbury, should have given them a well done for getting a SAT in Local.

Who can I write to?

Last edited:
I

insideinfoman

I have to agree with everyone on that front, it also grips my s#@t that people get awards for doing their primary task. Ok, if a scribbly sees something hanging from an aircraft and reports it correctly then he/she deserves an awards but not for siting in the caravan reading and looking out of the window and telling the controller. :mad:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The FOMz said:
We do, But giving a Good Show to Runway Controller for doing what he/she is primarily there for, is akin to giving one to a scribbly for not messing up some paperwork...:D

Mmmmmmmmm don't see many scribbly awards do we. :D :D :rolleyes:

Hmmmm

SAC
I must disagree with the general sentiment on this thread. It may be the caravan controller's job, but he/she spends days sitting out there looking at endless aircraft, 99.9% of which are normal. Furthermore, they are, by definition, a last look check and they often spot someone else's cock-up. We're not just talking about open panels and flags dangling from gear, these guys notice ejection seat pins and the very slightest of discrepancies.

Do we award firefighters when they pull people from burning aircraft? Damn right we do. Take the same argument and, because they are merely 'doing their job', we shouldn't recognise their contribution.

What is so annoying is that if a Techie finds a serious problem and it was not to do with the job he is directly doing at the time he gets a pat on the back

Sorry but you're wrong. Just look at the latest edition of Aviate Magazine. Plenty of techies in there 'just doing their job'.

Lighten-up and give the guys a break.

To right, you shouldn't get an award for doing your job. Are the standards in the RAF so low that nobody does anything special these days? Or is it that the people who go the extra mile for the RAF never get noticed?

It's the same as medals these days, all you need is to turn up. Even then there are aircrew with hundreds of flights into Iraq/Afghanistan who haven't got a medal!!!

2 blunties at Brize got TELIC medals, and they never left the country!!!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Hmmmm said:
It may be the caravan controller's job, but he/she spends days sitting out there looking at endless aircraft, 99.9% of which are normal. Furthermore, they are, by definition, a last look check and they often spot someone else's cock-up. We're not just talking about open panels and flags dangling from gear, these guys notice ejection seat pins and the very slightest of discrepancies.

It is the caravan controllers job, they are there for last look checks. He is there to look at endless aircraft, thats what he is paid for, that why he is a Cpl. Its like being MacDonalds employee of the month, getting an award for doing your job. Can they trade them in for a bigger award if they get 10?

If they are getting rewarded for spotting things, are the guys who leave the pins in, panels open getting tech charged? Are they hell!

The award for doing their job is taking it away from those that actually deserve it, let me guess Hmmm that you either have one behind you on your wall or you have just nominated someone for one

Hmmmm

SAC
Niether, I just think that we (the RAF) can be overly negative. How many of us get/give a Rec etc on a 6000 when an individual has merely done their job?

The award for doing their job is taking it away from those that actually deserve it

Sorry, I don't see where you are coming from here?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
If someone spots a red flag dangling from a hawk from his bathroom window while brushing his teeth then yeah give him a good show, he deserves it. The guy sitting at the end of the runway, who gets paid to be there, who has last look checks in his terms of reference doesnt deserve one for spotting something as a last look. Its what he is there for, simple.

As for promotion recommendations thats a totally seperate issue and a lame argument as the recommendation is for how they do their job. Looking at an aircraft prior to take off IS their job.

Hmmmm

SAC
I think we will continue to disagree on this.

as the recommendation is for how they do their job

Wrong. The recommendation is as to whether they can do a job in a higher rank - read the book.

P

pilotbaiter

Awards

Awards

I used to agree with the majority on this thread but I've really changed my mind. The one thing you don't get in HMF is extra financial reward for doing a good job. Unlike some civvy jobs where you get a bonus of some kind for merely doing your job e.g. end of year bonus etc. The only thing we can get this is some official recognition i.e. Good Shows etc. Whilst agreeing that the RWC is simply doing his job, by rewarding him/her, I bvelieve it actually encourages/promotes excellence not mediocrity. As for the techies replies, you guys do get these awards for "simply doing your job." Read the latest Flt Safety magazines and you'll see that the majority of awards to Ground personnel (all trades) are guys simply doing their job.

Bloody Hell, how many times did I say "simply doing your job" in this thread. Should have had an ISS freak to check it for me.

T

The Controller

Hilston Pols
SATCO wanted to put me forward for a Good Show after spotting a Harrier with a flag left in

...knowing you as I do, old boy, I'd be surprised if you didn't salute it!!!:p

Anyway....what about those 'Gods of D & D' (the real one at LATCC...not the Jock equivalent)... why should they get 'Good Show' awards for doing what normal mortals couldn't???:rolleyes:

(Looks up at a wall full)!!!:D

H

HilstonPols

Very true Old Man, anyone that can stay awake for longer than 10 minutes in D & D deserves applause at the very least.

Managing to not wet your chair and staying awake most definately deserves an award. However, those with help from bags should be considered as cheating when it comes to this particular skill.:eek:

As to me saluting a Harrier, well ofc I did after all it was being driven by one of HMs finest!!:p

Hmmmm

SAC
HP, obviously a while since you visited D&D. The average age has reduced significantly over the last year. Indeed, there are a couple of ladies who are rather 'easy on the eye';)

R

Retard Retard

Indeed, there are a couple of ladies who are rather 'easy on the eye'
:eek:

For fcuks sake don't send them any Secret Santa presents!