• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness

S

StuartCantrill

Hello Guys and Girls

Just thought I would put forward my recommendations to anyone who is trying to get in shape for training or just trying to get fit for the RAF.

2 months ago I failed my medical because I was 2 and a half inches to big around my waist and weighed 15 and a half stone and was pretty unfit. 2 months ago I was introduced to something called Spinning. Now believe me this isn't easy but it really does have drastic effects on your fitness. When I first went I struggled, couldn't complete it all and was shattered after a little while. Now 2 months later I have lost 2 stone and lost 3 inches around my waist from just doing Spinning 3 or 4 times a week and has helped me get my mile and a half down to 9 mins 30 secs.

Now I know how hard it is if you want to get in shape, was at Uni for 3 years, and this really is amazing if you want to train.

Hope it helps if you try it I would recommend it to anyone

Minor

SAC
Exercise bikes but more nails

Oh. It sounded more exciting than that. I prefer my real bike and the lovely Wiltshire hills. Far more enjoyable than sat in a musty gym.

But fair play. 2 stone in 2 months is good going. I'd recommend a decent balanced diet to go with the training too. Theres no point losing all the weight and eating crap. As soon as you stop the training the weight will jump straight back on.

M

Moz_Magister

Taking a slightly different tack here,

I nearly didn't get in because I was 2 stone under weight, in the end I persuaded them to let me have a go and passed all the fitness tests (after a good 6 months training), but I was just wondering is there any good ways to bulk up and keep a high fitness level?

Minor

SAC
If you want to bulk up with muscle. You need a good weights plan. A diet consisting of mostly carbs before you train and lots of protein afterwards to help repair the muscle. You can buy suppliements from Maximuscle which helps towards bulking up. But these type of suppliments really only work if you are 110% commited with a stable balanced diet and lots of weight training. Some will say lift a medium weight for longer periods. Personall I lift a very heavy weight for only 3-5 reps. Then a 1-2 minute rest then do it again 3 times. Then the following day train a different muscle set. Do this 5 times a week and you'll soon start seeing a difference. The most important part to all this is diet. It wont work without a good diet. Too many people want a quick fix to a long term problem.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Spinning is ok and weights are good too, but they only do ONE specific area of fitness, Cardio work and muscle work. To achieve a good level of fitness you have to combine both, take a look at British Military Fitness and see what you think. I've been doing this now for 3 months and my fitness has improved no end.

I

Isis

Taking a slightly different tack here,

I nearly didn't get in because I was 2 stone under weight, in the end I persuaded them to let me have a go and passed all the fitness tests (after a good 6 months training), but I was just wondering is there any good ways to bulk up and keep a high fitness level?

Not trying to put you off BUT I was PMU due to my weight and had to gain around a stone to be acceptable. My fitness level was fine, not professional athlete standard but reasonable. But even after gaining that weight I've suffered reacurrent and permanat injuries, which have been attributed, in part, to my small frame.

If you really want it, go for it, but you need to be aware of the risk to your health if you do.