• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness test on treadmill help

TotalWar

LAC
As part of my recruiting process to get back into the RAF Ive got to run 1 1/2 miles(2.4k) on a treadmill. Ive got to do this under 13.30mins. Sounds easy. But Im struggling to do it.
Ive been practicing running outside for the last few months, and can do the required distance on grass or pavement in under 12 1/2 mins(its not easy or comfortable but I can do it)
But the last two weeks or so Ive started trying on the treadmill and its hideous. It seems like Im having to run much faster than I usually do, My lower calfs(soleus?) start to ache like mad, and my chest feels tight as hell. I need to run at 11.4kmh to do the run in the time.
Has anyone got any tips to help please?
I would be most grateful.
Timescale to get myself good enough to take the test, is probably 4 weeks or so.

many thanks

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Treadmill calibration problem? To cover 2.4km in 13.30 mins you would need to run at 10.83 km/h.

D

DrunkenMonki

Bear in mind, it takes a minute or so to spin up too. I always try to do 1.5 miles in under 12 mins, but you have to set the machine as if you want to run it in 11.5! Bigger strides, use your arms more to pump your lungs. Fix your vision on a set spot to stop you going side to side too. And mainly, just keep doing it!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think the centre that does the fitness test advises to run at 11.4kmh to give you some leeway.

That may be so, but if you start going at the speed required to pass, then as you get better up it to 11.4 or whatever. As you say, you are struggling so... 'small steps', you have a few weeks.

tats

Sergeant
It feels like you're having to run faster because you are. I've been having the same issue and have spoken to 'hard core' runners about this.

Basically running outside there is no 'give' in the surface you run on, therefore you push off quicker and therefore run quicker. Running on a treadmill there is 'give' so your strides are slower so you need to make more of them.

I hope I've made sense, where's RR when you need him?!!?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It feels like you're having to run faster because you are. I've been having the same issue and have spoken to 'hard core' runners about this.

Basically running outside there is no 'give' in the surface you run on, therefore you push off quicker and therefore run quicker. Running on a treadmill there is 'give' so your strides are slower so you need to make more of them.

I hope I've made sense, where's RR when you need him?!!?

Makes sense to me tatties..

N

NotAnIDOYet

There is also a school of thought that says to set a 1 degree incline on the treadmill to properly simulate outdoor running. Although in these parts at them moment having a large jet engine in front of you to simulate the wind may help too!:pDT_Xtremez_09:

ITgeek

LAC
depends on the gym , my old gym said no incline , but my new gym says a 2% is equal to road running as the machines naturally dip forwards at the front .

i found i run bad if the gym is busy as its really hot in there and it makes it worse to breathe

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
i have the same problems on treadmills. good running shoes will help for good foot ankle support. make sure you are hydrated, being dehydrated usually makes me hurt more than anything else. also take a bottle of water on the treadmill with you. im sure they wont object to you having a swig during the run, most gyms are some quite hot.

Last edited:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
As part of my recruiting process to get back into the RAF Ive got to run 1 1/2 miles(2.4k) on a treadmill. Ive got to do this under 13.30mins. Sounds easy. But Im struggling to do it.
Ive been practicing running outside for the last few months, and can do the required distance on grass or pavement in under 12 1/2 mins(its not easy or comfortable but I can do it)
But the last two weeks or so Ive started trying on the treadmill and its hideous. It seems like Im having to run much faster than I usually do, My lower calfs(soleus?) start to ache like mad, and my chest feels tight as hell. I need to run at 11.4kmh to do the run in the time.
Has anyone got any tips to help please?
I would be most grateful.
Timescale to get myself good enough to take the test, is probably 4 weeks or so.

many thanks

mrs_collie here, I'm a personal trainer.

Try following - interval training, 1 or 2 mins work, same time recovery. Work above 11.4 k, ie 12 plus, then recover at below, ie 10.5, repeat for as long as you can. Also do long, steady runs, ie speed you can maintain comfortably (below 11.4), for longer time, ie 20 mins or 2-3 miles (4-5 km). Then after 2 wks, retest yourself on 1.5 run. Also make sure your trainers are suitable for the purpose - ie running shoes and not worn out/too old (should change approx every 6mth/300ish miles). Ensure you are running heel to toe not on your toes (that can cause tight calves). Finally ensure lots of good stretches afterwards and treat yourself to a good sports massage! Let Mr Collie know how you're getting on............good luck.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You could try changing to different running speeds. I trained to get below 11 mins on a treadmill. I ran 5 mins at one speed, sped it up to another speed and balls out running as fast as I could for 1 min at the end.

I found it easier to do this than keep up a constant rate.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You could try changing to different running speeds. I trained to get below 11 mins on a treadmill. I ran 5 mins at one speed, sped it up to another speed and balls out running as fast as I could for 1 min at the end.

I found it easier to do this than keep up a constant rate.

Fartlek is a very good option for upping your aerobic capacity as MT implies