• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness question

S

sam1222

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying to join the RAF, i wanted to join as a driver but ive been waiting for the jobs to re-open for 3 months now so i'm thinking of just going with my second choice, RAF Regiment.

I do a lot of running, circuit training, boxing training, light weights, swimming, cycling and walking.

My max reps in 1 min are:

Pull ups:28
chin ups: 32
press ups: 85
sit ups: 76
squats: 55
burpees: 52

And i run 3 miles in 17.5 mins. my best time is 17 mins dead on.

Am i fit enough for RAF Regiment? or do i hold out for the drivers jobs to open up?

Cheers,

Sam

K

Krusty_Crab

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying to join the RAF, i wanted to join as a driver but ive been waiting for the jobs to re-open for 3 months now so i'm thinking of just going with my second choice, RAF Regiment.

I do a lot of running, circuit training, boxing training, light weights, swimming, cycling and walking.

Am i fit enough for RAF Regiment? or do i hold out for the drivers jobs to open up?

Cheers,

Sam

The only problem with holding out for a job as driver is that we're already processing so many candidates you may have to hold out until 2011!!!

You ought to be fit enough for the Regt!! If not you've got the potential to be fit enough!! Many regt gunners do advanced driving and HGV courses and when you come to leave the RAF you can qualify as a professional driver. If Gunner interests you....go for it!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
"My max reps in 1 min are:

burpees: 52"

....and I am sure that when you do get to Regiment training they will teach you very quickly that quality matters in all things.

S

sam1222

The only problem with holding out for a job as driver is that we're already processing so many candidates you may have to hold out until 2011!!!

You ought to be fit enough for the Regt!! If not you've got the potential to be fit enough!! Many regt gunners do advanced driving and HGV courses and when you come to leave the RAF you can qualify as a professional driver. If Gunner interests you....go for it!

Ah ok, i see. that's definately a problem then, as i'm 35 in november, if i hold out for the driving i'm likely to miss out and be too old to join. i'm definately interested in joining the regiment as a gunner, as it was originally my first choice and one of the reasons ive kept my fitness so high, but i was advised to get a trade and driving was the one that interested me the most. but as you say, if its still possible to gain driving qualifications in the regiment then i'm happy, best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice, i'll get myself down to the AFCO and carry on with my application.

Cheers

S

sam1222

"My max reps in 1 min are:

burpees: 52"

....and I am sure that when you do get to Regiment training they will teach you very quickly that quality matters in all things.

Meaning...?

Not sure i understand you mate.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Meaning, if you are doing these press-up and sit up reps in one minute, you are not going to be focusing on the quality of the exercise, but getting ticks in the numerical box.

S

sam1222

Meaning, if you are doing these press-up and sit up reps in one minute, you are not going to be focusing on the quality of the exercise, but getting ticks in the numerical box.

No there all quality, i train hard mate. and its took me a few months to build up to those numbers.

P

Portcullis

Hi,

Cheers,

Sam

Sam

Forget the Regt with those numbers mate.

What are you doing in 2012?

S

sam1222

Sam

Forget the Regt with those numbers mate.

What are you doing in 2012?

Sorry for the late reply mate, haven't been on here in a while.

Why forget the regiment with those numbers? And no idea what i'll be doing in 2012 mate, why did you ask?

Sam

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Sorry for the late reply mate, haven't been on here in a while.

Why forget the regiment with those numbers? And no idea what i'll be doing in 2012 mate, why did you ask?

Sam

Oh dear. He means your max rep figures make impressive reading and you should be aiming for the Olympics, not the RAF Regt.

Anyway, 2 years on from your original post, what happened with your application?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
My max reps in 1 min are: Pull ups:28chin ups: 32press ups: 85sit ups: 76squats: 55burpees: 52 And i run 3 miles in 17.5 mins. my best time is 17 mins dead on.
Sorry for the late reply mate, haven't been on here in a while. Why forget the regiment with those numbers? And no idea what i'll be doing in 2012 mate, why did you ask?Sam
I'm sorry mate I would put every single penny of my pay chit on crap odds of them figures being no where near what you could actually do, whilst doing them properly! Perhaps the Army would be better suited?? Did you make it as a Gunner???