• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness, Levels Before Basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stvwardy

Hello!!!,

im going to the AFCO in sheffield on April 15th, for a discussion regarding my career options.

ive already memorised all the Ranks, Insignia, and types of Aircraft, past and present, used by the R.A.F. in an effort to fully concentrate on my fitness.

Basically id like some advice,

I HAVE started the R.A.F. 6 week fitness programme as recommended on their website, and am pleased with the results im seeing, particularly in the upper body strength area,

before i started {2 Weeks ago} i couldnt do a push-up, and could only manage about 10 sit ups......and my running was very poor, in-fact i had to stop after 5 mins, gave in went back inside and watched some T.V. {just being honest}.......

TWO WEEKS LATER.

im able to do

* 30 push ups
*60 + sit ups

but, i can only run a mile and half in 12 mins, and its really bothering me, im throwing everything i can into getting my time down, including running Everyday, regardless of the plan i should be following, usually i go for 20 min running, and i do feel better for it, i.e. no cramp or stitch so quickly.

after that long point, what i'd like to know is........

would it be better to go for long-slow runs, of about 3 miles to increase my endurance, or short sprints in say 1x100m?

id really like to get my time down to under 10:30, but at the moment, i cant physically move myself faster

i can do distance, just not short sharp running.

so far ive lost 2 stone just from running and eating right, and to make my career dream come true id like to pass Basic first time

any thoughts, suggestions are really appreciated.

p.s. in-case it helps, im 20 and Male!!!}

cheers!

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Don't worry, it will come.

Just keep training, BUT DON'T OVER DO IT!

Just keep running the same route at a normal pace and time your run, you will see the time drop as your fitness improves.

Don't worry, you will be a lot fitter than most that turn up.

S

stvwardy

cheers mate,

i want to show that real determination.

im only just starting to get into it, and want the recruting Sgt to see this,

im going to Arizona for 4 months starting May, which they are aware of, and was hoping to get all the interview, PJFT etc...done before i went, {which is probably abit over expectant}

but i wouldnt be back till september, {unfortunately i signed the contract to work over there a year ago, and cant cancel now or i would}

fortunately, i see this as a advantage, rather than a disadvantage, as it gives me more time to get even fitter.

do you know what the longest runs people go for at RAF Halton are for a Airman?

i'd like to work myself up to that distance, then push beyond it.

cheers for the reply aswell!

Shugster

Warrant Officer
cheers mate,

i want to show that real determination.

im only just starting to get into it, and want the recruting Sgt to see this,

im going to Arizona for 4 months starting May, which they are aware of, and was hoping to get all the interview, PJFT etc...done before i went, {which is probably abit over expectant}

but i wouldnt be back till september, {unfortunately i signed the contract to work over there a year ago, and cant cancel now or i would}

fortunately, i see this as a advantage, rather than a disadvantage, as it gives me more time to get even fitter.

do you know what the longest runs people go for at RAF Halton are for a Airman?

i'd like to work myself up to that distance, then push beyond it.

cheers for the reply aswell!

What job do you have now then? And what trade do want to join?

Arizona is dry, VERY DRY! Of course if you can run a good time in a hot enviroment you will do better in a, "Normal", British enviroment.

Just don't over do it, you could injure yourself and put your plans back by a few months.

Just keep going at a pace that suits you and the results will come.

Just bear in mind that the Roman Empire wasn't built in a day.

S

stvwardy

hehe, perhaps i am too worried about fitness

at the moment, im a warehouseman, lifting heavy cages, emptying wagons, receipting goods in, etc etc........

40 hours a week plus is my usual , 9 hours a day, 6 days a week is the typical depending on whether i do sundays,

early rises dont bother me that much, Tesco likes its 6am starters......."gits"

as for trade, im not too sure, i do have a few job choices,

aerospaec systems operator

personnel admin

flight ops assistant,

however i made those choices on my G.C.S.E. Grades, when i get to the AFCO, im going to ask what is better, with my A-Level grades.

AgentTiro

LAC
You definately seem to be going the right way about it. I'd say stick to the 6 week plan from the RAF site if it's working so well for you.

Personally instead of timing myself over 1.5m i timed it over 2m and aimed at getting that time down. Knowing that if i could do that quickly then the 1.5m would be much easier.

Running longer distances does help a bit. Also I wouldn't run every day early on. Every other day would be better. Gives your body a chance to recover on the rest days.

N

NotAnIDOYet

at the moment, im a warehouseman, lifting heavy cages, emptying wagons, receipting goods in, etc etc........

40 hours a week plus is my usual , 9 hours a day, 6 days a week is the typical depending on whether i do sundays,

aerospace systems operator- currently over manned so recruitment may be down, if you have the a-levels go for commission as a Fighter Controller (if you want to know more about the trade then PM me!)

personnel admin

flight ops assistant, Undermanned and looking for a good number of people this year

however i made those choices on my G.C.S.E. Grades, when i get to the AFCO, im going to ask what is better, with my A-Level grades.

If the A-levels are good enough then why not commission?

Shugster

Warrant Officer

aerospaec systems operator

personnel admin

flight ops assistant,

God! Don't ask the AFCO which is the best, they will point you in the direction of the trade in most need at that time!

I went in and said, "I want to be an Airframe mechanic", the bloke said, "Oh, you don't want to be a cook then?"

*****Post Edited due to unnaceptable comment for Recruitment Q&A Thread******

The others are OK, look at Aircrew and Technical trades, they will give you the best chances whilst, "In", and when you're out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stvwardy

commission?

to be honest ive never really thought about being a officer.

im going to follow the R.A.F. 6 week plan to the letter, {all except for the number of upper body repititions which i think are really low}, until its finished, then up it in accordance with the schedule,

for example the last week has a 30 min run on monday, so for the seventh week, i will do 35min, 8th week 40min and so on.

theres a swimming pool at my american workplace, so im going to get some laps in and get as fit as i can.

i once went to ATR Lichfield {last september}, to do Army selection at the urging of two uncles {both in the paras} and passed all the physical tests and the interview.

but i personally have always wanted to join the air force?

would passing the army selection stand me in good stead for the R.A.F. Selection?

cheers for the replies aswell, good to know care, and help out those with worries....

.....but damn it, im having Sunday as my rest day!!!!

p.s. of all the job choices ive looked at, flight operations assistant was more appealing.

Last edited:
As those above have said try for a commission you can do both ATC/Flight Ops and Administration still and the pay would be better. Aim as high as you can you've done those 'A' Levels for a reason so make them pay you back. However, there is always the non-com route if you aren't sucessful at Cranwell, you could still try later for the commission once you've got some experience behind you.

Having past the Army selection won't do you any harm but do point out that the Air Force is your first choice at an interview. Getting fit now is good as you are already showing the comitment recruiters are looking for.

As Shugster has said don't ask the recruiters what is best it is guarenteed to lead you into a trade which you may not be suited to and changing trades is near impossible once you are in.

However, ignore what he has said about Admin, the trade is undermanned and currently going through a period of huge changes. However, it is still a worthwhile job (they always need adminers in civvy street) and it is varied even at SAC level.

Ultimately it will be your choice and your career.

S

stvwardy

cheers for that woolly,

im going to go have a chat, next tuesday {my birthday unfortunately, but if i want it!!!!!!!}

have a discussion with regards a commission, while carrying on with fitness training.

how important are "rest days", as when i have them, i think im just wasting my time when i could be doing some more.

and does anyone know how long the runs are at R.A.F. Halton, id like to work up, and then beyond that distance.

Northern Monkey

Corporal
You don't need to worry too much. If you have made that kind of improvement in two weeks, then your well on your way.

Like one of the others said, try running a slightly longer distance than 1.5 miles. Get used to that and then try running the 1.5 miler a bit quicker.

We didnt do that many long runs during basic training. But it was built up slowly and people were streamed into groups of different standards.

Hope this helps.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

S

stvwardy

defineatly sounds like a plan, 2/3 miles at a time, as long as its over the time limit for the R.A.F. 6 week plan, i start week 3 tomorrow and monday is a 25 moderate run.

* just seen a good 3 miles run through the countryside near my house, some good hills, and one nasty one, so im going to crack that one tomorrow.

seriously, to everyone, thanks for the advice, for some reason, i was expecting to turn up on the first day, and be welcomed by a 6 mile run, dont know why.......

D

dodgysootie

I find running up a steep hill dragging two used car tyres attached to a rope improves fitness.
DS

S

stvwardy

im going to have a go at this interval training, on your advice!!!!!!!

i'll do it on a rest day, up this 20m "killer hill" near my house, 1x10 sprints up should be ok.........

on my "aerobic" day i go biking, usually for around half an hour or more, anyone think this is enough?, nothing wrong with more biking!!!!

The Stig

LAC
cheers for that woolly,

im going to go have a chat, next tuesday {my birthday unfortunately, but if i want it!!!!!!!}

have a discussion with regards a commission, while carrying on with fitness training.

how important are "rest days", as when i have them, i think im just wasting my time when i could be doing some more.

and does anyone know how long the runs are at R.A.F. Halton, id like to work up, and then beyond that distance.

I think the longest run at Halton was about 5 miles for the fitter recruits, if my memory serves me right (been a while). They used to split you into 3 groups for PT based on your fitness (not sure if they still do), and then altered the distance according to your group

Status
Not open for further replies.