• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newboyintown

Hi guys,

I am intending to join the RAF and have a couple of questions about fitness..

Looked at the website and there was a fitness programme with videos - how useful is the programme?

Also I am struggling with the sit-ups they have on video on the careers website. How important is the situps for fitness test at OASC. And is there a trick to getting it right?

Weedy23

LAC
Hiya,

The fitness programme is designed to steadily increase with a view to building your fitness. I followed it and had no problems really (and I'm a girl!!)

As for sit-ups, if you're having trouble with the full ones, it might be worth bringing your knees up to 90 degrees and building strength in your abdominal muscles. Then move onto full sit ups. You'll need to be able to complete a set number to pass the fitness tests at OASC.

Good Luck! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

N

newboyintown

Thanks Weedy thats what I really wanting to know. I totally understand the need for it, there is not enough information out there on how to achive this.

This site really seems like a good one for people like us who wants to join RAF.

Anyone with any other tips would be of great help.

tats

Sergeant
With regard to sit-ups, try putting your feet underneath something or getting someone to hold them down while you do them.

Or try to improve your core muscles as that helps a lot.

Weedy23

LAC
Thanks Weedy thats what I really wanting to know. I totally understand the need for it, there is not enough information out there on how to achive this.

This site really seems like a good one for people like us who wants to join RAF.

Anyone with any other tips would be of great help.

You're welcome. I struggled with sit ups to begin with as well, so I used the method of having my knees at 90 degrees and then moved onto hooking my feet under the sofa to make it a bit easier.

Perseverance and hard work is the only way to get there I'm afraid!

Let me know how you get on! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

N

newboyintown

You're welcome. I struggled with sit ups to begin with as well, so I used the method of having my knees at 90 degrees and then moved onto hooking my feet under the sofa to make it a bit easier.

Perseverance and hard work is the only way to get there I'm afraid!

Let me know how you get on! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

well i can go further than i cud before.. thanks Weedy.. i will keep on trying. I was a bit worried when i saw the video.. it looked so easy.. and although i think im quite fit, it was hard.

N

newboyintown

With regard to sit-ups, try putting your feet underneath something or getting someone to hold them down while you do them.

Or try to improve your core muscles as that helps a lot.

how do you improve your core muscles? any advise? :S

R

Rich_P

By working on them. The core comprises from your upper back all the way down to your hips, with the mid section (abs, obliques and erectors) being the main part of the core.

Clean and presses are a good test of core strength and stability.

R

Rich_P

What are they??

Best done with a barbell with some moderate weight on for your strength. You pull the bar up to the hips, then swing it up to rest across your chest and shoulders before pressing it up. At first they always seem easy, but once you get through the first few reps it then becomes a bit more challenging!

A search on google should give you the instructions of how to do it properly.

S

shoutingwind

try getting a yoga or pilates (or indeed yoglaites) DVD and fallowing the workouts on there, they are brilliant for building core stability :)

or if you have Sky, go to the Body in Balance channel

G

gemarriott

try getting a yoga or pilates (or indeed yoglaites) DVD and fallowing the workouts on there, they are brilliant for building core stability :)

or if you have Sky, go to the Body in Balance channel

Also good for aerobics the old sky box. Aerobics oz style I never miss:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Serious advice head on for a moment. Do use the search button, somewhere on here not so long ago these questions were asked and answered by people who actually knew what they were talking about.

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.