• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First time rider needs help

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Hey guys

Im looking at doing my bike course at Nellis in the next few weeks, and im looking at getting a bike ready to start the commute to work.

Im mainly looking on Craigslist and have a ceiling of $3000. I have already seen this bike, Linky, and may be going to view it in the next few days.

My question to you all is, would something like this be ok for a first bike? and if not, what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone :pDT_Xtremez_14:

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Hey guys

Im looking at doing my bike course at Nellis in the next few weeks, and im looking at getting a bike ready to start the commute to work.

Im mainly looking on Craigslist and have a ceiling of $3000. I have already seen this bike, Linky, and may be going to view it in the next few days.

My question to you all is, would something like this be ok for a first bike? and if not, what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone :pDT_Xtremez_14:

The links been deleted, so give us a clue as to what it was

Hot Shoes

Corporal
The link still doesn’t work. Just tell the make & model.

The advice I was given for my 1st bike was "don't buy a sports bike; get something more predictable & more comfortable, that way you won't be put off after a short time."

Good advice with hindsight, especially till you get some miles under your belt

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
The link still doesn’t work. Just tell the make & model.

The advice I was given for my 1st bike was "don't buy a sports bike; get something more predictable & more comfortable, that way you won't be put off after a short time."

Good advice with hindsight, especially till you get some miles under your belt

Anything that isn't a Hog, that would be to American

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Careful now

Careful now

Need more gen, how far is the commute, are you worried about the look, are you going to go out on the bike at weekends for blast and finally are you capable of doing any maintenance yourself.

Without knowing any of the above, and if you're not just after a little bike, then anything around 500 - 600cc and if you're buying second hand you should look out for names like bandit (cheap), hornet (reliable), ER5 (all rounder), I'd avoid any thing with lots of chrome or made in China (or the USA). Any of those three would be okay for a quick weekend/evening blast too.

Good luck with the test.

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
The link works fine on my puta, here's the address anyway

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1117164197.html

As for why i'm doing the course out here, I'm on 39 Sqn based at Creech AFB so i live in Las Vegas, and the course is held by Nellis personnel.

ACE!!! I think you should get a few miles under your belt, then get some boys together, hire a load of Harleys & road trip to the Tucson mountains in Arizona (via the Grand Canyon, obviously...)

Off Topic Tell Jen at Enterprise Rent a Car (right outside Nellis main gate) that her fave english bloke said hi! ;-)

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Sorry about the links not working. (if any mods could help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated)

The 2 bikes i'm going to see today are:

2004 Suzuki Katana
5400 miles
$3500
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/chrisandvikki/Bikes#5324211622921596258

2000 Triumph TT600
11K miles
$3600
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/chrisandvikki/Bikes#5324211622879591746

I will be using these for the commute to Creech AFB from Vegas, which is about 45 miles up the I95.

I realize the importance of not being a pr*ck on them as i have 4 children here, which is why i'm leaning towards the Katana, as all the review sites i have been on says that it makes for an ideal first bike. The TT i really like the look of, and with it still being a 600, its still within what i am looking for.

I will be taking a mate with me who has been riding bikes for a long time, and so will be giving me advice on what to look for, I just thought i'd put it out to you guys and see what you think.

As i said before, if anyone can help me with the links, it would be great. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Katana

Katana

The Suzuki is just a bandit with a fairing, over here it was the GSXF, had one myself. very docile bike big and long not too sporty but sporty enough.

The Triumph may be a bit less reliable but if you've got the mech skills I'd go for it, much more cachet and more fun, but as my pic above proves I'm a bit biased here.

It does not really matter what bike you get as a first bike as long as you treat it with respect and stay within your limits, if you don't you'll soon learn.

Odie

Sergeant
The Suzuki is the better of the two bikes for a first timer. Pretty docile compared to a full on sports bike, but certainly exciting enough for a new licence holder. The build quality isn't up there with some other makers (i.e. Honda), but with some TLC it should be fine.

The headlight on the Trumpet looks like a pair of Y-fronts when viewed from ahead. :pDT_Xtremez_42:The fuelling on the TT600 was a bit sharp before Triumph got it sorted, but the build quality isn't too bad. However, it's more of a sports machine than the Katana (GSXF) and less suited to commuting.

Whatever you buy, for a first bike get one that you can make mistakes on and won't be either too heartbroken or out pf pocket. There are two sorts of biker; those that have dropped a bike, and those yet to drop a bike. Treat dropping it as a grim inevitability and you'll be fine.

Other options worth considering are the Honda VFR750F (1994 - 97 model), the Honda VFR800Fi (the 1998 - 2001 model, also called the Interceptor over there), the Honda CBR600F (post 1998), the Kawasaki ZX-6R.

Best of luck getting the licence. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
Consider these, the older models are easier to maintain, should be cheap to buy out there. Fazer is the best allrounder and best brakes, the CBR 600 is known as the F3 in spamland. Smokin Joe paint job(don`t be fooled by the photo it is actually purple) would be a bonus.
Let us know what you go for.

Attachments

• 19954_0_1_2_fzs%20600%20fazer_Image%20by%20Yamaha_%20Published%20with%20permission_.jpg
    19954_0_1_2_fzs%20600%20fazer_Image%20by%20Yamaha_%20Published%20with%20permission_.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1998HondaCBR600F3SmokinJoe-BenW.jpg
    1998HondaCBR600F3SmokinJoe-BenW.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Thanks for the advice

Went to look at the 2 bikes yesterday, and the Suzuki was in real good condition. It had been dropped but the cosmetic damage was only very slight, the chain also needs a bit of adjustment, but after that it'll still have a fair amount to go. Went to see the Triumph TT, and i pretty much fell in love!!! Awesome looking bike!!! Whoever had owned it before had added quite a few extras like a power commander? and loads of other bits and pieces, from what my mate had said who went with me, it had been pretty much customised for doing track days.

I did make a decision, and i decided to go with the Suzuki Katana. I think that its a good bike to start with for now, and if i decide i want something a bit better once i've been riding for a while, i can get something with a bit better performance, and a bit lighter.

Thanks once again everyone, and ill let you know how i get on with the course in a few weeks :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Attachments

• katana.jpg
    katana.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: