• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fire cover, what do we need?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Ladies and gents of trumpton, I have a serious question for you.

If, or when, we start to taxi Jags at Tossford what is the minimum crash cat that will be required? Looking in JSP 426 it has Jag down as 3A, will this remain so even though even though it is now a GIA (Ground Instructional Aircraft/Aid). They will be fully gassed up with the possibility of dummy weapons/external tanks fitted as well. All help most welcome.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Very good question FLT and one I'd bet that the Metrix organisation has not even considered. Don't know the answer but I'm guessing two blokes in a flat bed Ford Transit with the word "fire" on the bonnet just won't do anymore. I will be very interested in what is the correct solution.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Fire cover for Taxiing Jags

Fire cover for Taxiing Jags

Not sure if it would help but you could always ask what the ruling is at Cranwell.

I know they have a capacity to deal with the larger aircraft there but they are the only people that taxi Jags in the way that you guys intend to.

I'm sure a quick phone call to the Fire section at Cranwell will give you some guidance.

HTB

G

grumpyoldb

A saucer of milk will suffice for Jags..................! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

P

pie sandwich

I would have thought the requirement wouldn't change if your at tossford, they have been taxiing A/C for years so therefore I doubt it would change.

Unless they need more green string vests :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

I would have thought the requirement wouldn't change if your at tossford, they have been taxiing A/C for years so therefore I doubt it would change.

Unless they need more green string vests :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Would that be for the volleyball nets.............? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Maybe not but some ancient viper powered JP's tottling round on constant speed variable noise is a different ball game to Adour powered twin engined Jags. For me FLT asks a good original question.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
2a is all you need
Where is this laid down? Like I said at the start the JSP has Jag as 3A and as far as I know Cranwell are using 3A. I don't think we're even using 2A at Tossford at the moment because from my understanding if the aircraft burst into flames we're supposed to call 999, as well as let the tower know (when they're in).

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I actually took some time to have a quick look at this today.
Cosford is Crash Cat 1 according to the BINA.
JSP 552 is the ATC Bible, and under Crash Cats, it refers to JSP 426 as holding the definitions for each category, and what fire cover that actually entails.
I believe that JSP426 is a Fire Section doc, and we didn't have a copy to hand.
However, the decisions on the level of cover required are based on the level of aerodrome activity, fast jet, formation departures, that sort of thing.
Cosford's CC is designed to cover whatever AC are flying about, I'm not sure you would have one for just towing AC.
However, maybe a member of the Fire Section maybe able to shed some light.

Last edited:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
We don't just tow we taxi. Later this year the vision is all AMM training to be Jag based, and that means firing up the old cats and taking them for a taxi, both engines running and 3330Kg of fuel ready to go up in smoke at a moments notice.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
In that case, you very probably need to be speaking to your SATCO/ OC Ops/ OC Fire Section or equivalents to see if the current fire cover is going to be sufficient.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
As TB alluded to earlier, I happen to agree that our current arrangements just don't cut it. A couple of blokes in a transit with FIRE on the front isn't really enough. It would seem their role is really to cover UBAS, we're just an after thought.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Sorry for dragging back an old post from the dead, but to put this one to bed once and for all.

You would require crash category 3A. This consists of 1 Sgt, 1 Cpl, 4 SAC's, 1 MFV/MFV2 and one RIV.

However as there willbe no actual take off or landing movements crash cat 2A would suffice. 1 Cpl, 3 SAC's and an RIV.

Fire cover

Fire cover

At the moment the only fire cover at Cosford is for UBAS and is only here on the days that UBAS fly. The fire cover for the Jags will be supplied by the training sqdn and the idea is to let the aircraft burn.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I think people will be more worried about the poor chap in the cockpit rather than the aircraft.

IIRC when 1SofTT was at a secret location in Buckinghamshire, the airfield cover for ground runs etc was 1 x TACR (mk1 then mk2 in the days pre-RIV).

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry for dragging back an old post from the dead, but to put this one to bed once and for all.

You would require crash category 3A. This consists of 1 Sgt, 1 Cpl, 4 SAC's, 1 MFV/MFV2 and one RIV.

However as there willbe no actual take off or landing movements crash cat 2A would suffice. 1 Cpl, 3 SAC's and an RIV.

Long time, no see, don't be a stranger!