• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finance for OOA Personnel

Mightierthan

Corporal
I'm looking for a definitive answer on this one. I'm not on a military unit but based with civil serpents, therefore they don't have a great deal of experience dealing with military finance.

I know that when a scrote like me goes OOA then my wages are still attributed to my parent unit's UIN because I will be returning there and they continue to parent me throughout my OOA.

With respect to our commissioned brethren who are posted OOA, then posted elsewhere afterwards, against which UIN are their wages attributed whilst OOA? Is it still the losing unit, a PJHQ/Air Cmd UIN or something different altogether?

As I said, I would be grateful for a definitive answer so I can pass details to our finance dept.

Thanks in advance!

T

TDJ

The parent unit remains the one you have been posted from (to OOA) - they still have a responsibility for you. ie family can remain in FQs there etc

Why?

Mightierthan

Corporal
The parent unit remains the one you have been posted from (to OOA) - they still have a responsibility for you. ie family can remain in FQs there etc

Why?

The finance dept here are moaning that they are still paying the officer's wages but he has been posted and will not return. Additionally, because we are not on a military base, parenting (HR, accom, medical, dental etc) is supplied by another unit - in this case HMS Sultan - under a parenting agreement.

I presume, without any finance knowledge, that somewhere down the road, we pay Sultan some money for the parenting that they supply on our behalf.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
The finance dept here are moaning that they are still paying the officer's wages but he has been posted and will not return. Additionally, because we are not on a military base, parenting (HR, accom, medical, dental etc) is supplied by another unit - in this case HMS Sultan - under a parenting agreement.

I presume, without any finance knowledge, that somewhere down the road, we pay Sultan some money for the parenting that they supply on our behalf.

I'm not 100% certain, which is why I didn't answer earlier, but I believe your finance dept have to reclaim the salary costs from PJHQ. Unless someone else comes up with chapter and verse in the meantime I'll check with the finance people at my unit on Monday.

Mightierthan

Corporal
I'm not 100% certain, which is why I didn't answer earlier, but I believe your finance dept have to reclaim the salary costs from PJHQ. Unless someone else comes up with chapter and verse in the meantime I'll check with the finance people at my unit on Monday.

Thanks TBJ, that would be great

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Well I asked what I thought was a fairly simple question and got a massively complicated answer.

Anyway, according to our OC Number Crunching, salary costs are assigned to a unit for information purposes but they are actually all managed centrally. I understand it happens this way now to avoid the farcical situation a few years back when units were refusing to accept overborne personnel because paying them would generate an overspend. In salary terms, of course, one unit's overspend is another's underspend, so the net effect is always nil.

So although the deployed officer's salary will still show on your unit's accounts each month until he is posted to another permanent unit, it's not something that your finance dept need to worry about because all salaries are actually paid by Centre.

Hope this helps

Mightierthan

Corporal
Thanks TBJ; finance never seems to be straightforward! As we are not a military unit we haven't had anyone go OOA before so it's all new to our finance; hopefully this will make sense to them! Cheers