• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FIFA Arrests

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Numerous FIFA officials have been arrested on suspicion of corruption, money laundering, fraud etc. The view that FIFA is rotten to the core is not a new one but this time it's led to legal action from the US authorities. I for one am not surprised that something is being done about FIFA. But it is rather unexpected that the US, a nation not steeped in football, is the one taking the first steps to clean up the game. Will the 2022 Qatar world cup go ahead and will there be a revote for Russia in 2018?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32895048

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
the yanks are involved because some of the talks about bribes etc, were held in the US and the former US FIFA member helped the FBI out with the inquiries, some of the cash has allegedly been funnelled through US banks as well.

As usual Blatter will come out of it smelling of roses and claim innocence of everything and be determined to clean up FIFA - again! Hopefully this will be the final nail in his coffin and he'll be voted out at the end of the week - unless he can fix that vote again as well

Quatar was a farce - bid for a world cup in the summer of a year, do so promising air con in the stadia and win. Then suddenly it's too hot we'll have to move it and cock up most of the leagues!

FIFA has been ald boys club for years that works on back office deals and back handers (allegedly) and is in severe need of some form of reform

G

Gord

the yanks are involved because some of the talks about bribes etc, were held in the US and the former US FIFA member helped the FBI out with the inquiries, some of the cash has allegedly been funnelled through US banks as well.

As usual Blatter will come out of it smelling of roses and claim innocence of everything and be determined to clean up FIFA - again! Hopefully this will be the final nail in his coffin and he'll be voted out at the end of the week - unless he can fix that vote again as well

Quatar was a farce - bid for a world cup in the summer of a year, do so promising air con in the stadia and win. Then suddenly it's too hot we'll have to move it and cock up most of the leagues!

FIFA has been ald boys club for years that works on back office deals and back handers (allegedly) and is in severe need of some form of reform
There's a reason FIFA's headquarters are in Switzerland, according to a mate of mine, taking a bribe is not considered a crime there.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Swiss investigators have apparently told all FIFA personnel who are Swiss nationals they must remain in the country until told otherwise. Mr Blatter well he's Swiss.

Digzster

Sergeant
It's a pity that it was the US that actually did something.

Let's face it Goaters, we have all suspected for some time that FIFA has had "questionable" transactions but they refused to try and sort it themselves as too much money was at stake.

About time this was cleaned up.

G

Gord

It's a pity that it was the US that actually did something.

Let's face it Goaters, we have all suspected for some time that FIFA has had "questionable" transactions but they refused to try and sort it themselves as too much money was at stake.

About time this was cleaned up.
Those indicted so far are mostly from Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, the Caribbean, a few from the US including one who was secretly indicted in 2013 and who then wore a wire during subsequent meetings with FIFA officials. They expect the list to get longer as those currently under indictment proceed through the system towards trial and begin naming names to try to get a reduced sentence so your mate Sepp Blatter might be wise to sleep with one eye open as he may yet find himself falling foul of the RICO statute on corruption and money laundering/tax evasion etc etc etc if he received any financial benefit from transactions that took place in the US or through US financial institutions.

These guys can cast a pretty wide net.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
FIFAs sponsors need to pull the plug to stop their names getting sullied any further.

The sponsors are now getting twitchy, the whole house of cards would fall if they pulled the plug.

Credit card giant Visa said ""We expect Fifa to take swift and immediate steps to address these issues. Should FIFA fail to do so, we have informed them that we will reassess our sponsorship"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32910235

G

Gord

I see Putin is mouthing off saying that the US should mind it's own business over what goes on in other countries, the thing is they are doing just that, the only ones they've filed charges against are those who broke the law in the US by carrying on their nefarious antics either within the US or through US financial institutions which of course come under US jurisdiction. I think Putin just doesn't want to get caught with his pecker in his hand over Russia being awarded the 2018 world cup.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
The sponsors are now getting twitchy, the whole house of cards would fall if they pulled the plug.

Credit card giant Visa said ""We expect Fifa to take swift and immediate steps to address these issues. Should FIFA fail to do so, we have informed them that we will reassess our sponsorship"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32910235

If MasterCard and American express follow VISA then the house of cards will truly be coming down...

I'll get that coat of mine.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I am sure that I have just heard on the BBC News that FIFA is a registered charity worth $ Billions.

The whole saga stinks and the rat at the top needs exterminating.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I am sure that I have just heard on the BBC News that FIFA is a registered charity worth $ Billions.

The whole saga stinks and the rat at the top needs exterminating.

It is. It pays little or no tax in Switzerland and also in the countries where World Cups are hosted. It stinks from the top down.

The problem is that Blatter himself is seen by emerging footballing nations as some sort of Messiah because his GOAL program has brought much needed cash to allow them to get their football infrastructure sorted. These nations will vote for him this afternoon and as they outnumber UEFA and any others who oppose him then Blatter will win again.
FIFA is a sick organisation that needs pulling apart and reconstructing from the top down. Blatter is drunk on the power his position holds and so blusters along in total denial of his responsibilities as the head man.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Hardly suprising that the US is taking it to court - after all, sueing people is almost a national passtime over there! I'm sure it's a skill that's taught at some level of their schooling (I'll probably be sued for libel / slander now...).

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
We see this through our western eyes, different cultures will see this behaviour as normal. At the end of the day corruption deprives some of something whilst benefiting the wrong people, in this case by many millions.

G

Gord

It appears that as expected Tw@tter was re-elected.

I believe it's charity status should be revoked but then again, I feel that way about most charities cos they're all being used as a way in which to ensure a small group of people make a lot of money, usually off the backs of those who can least afford to give.

It p!sses me off that I am forever accosted in a variety of stores I go into to give from my pocket to support some charity or other that has people at the top making a ton of money when most of the patrons of these stores are living pay cheque to pay cheque, or in many case pension cheque to pension cheque.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
So, Blatter resigns. FBI trail getting too hot for comfort, or simply ground down by all the negativity surrounding his re-election?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So, Blatter resigns. FBI trail getting too hot for comfort, or simply ground down by all the negativity surrounding his re-election?

I reckon he's in it up to his neck and the net is closing leaving him no option but to resign. The Swiss say he's not part of their inquiries but I reckon the USA have something on him which will come out in the next few days. He probably won't go to Canada for the women's world cup now, far to close to the US for comfort. Bang to rights he is Guv'nor.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I reckon he's in it up to his neck and the net is closing leaving him no option but to resign. The Swiss say he's not part of their inquiries but I reckon the USA have something on him which will come out in the next few days. He probably won't go to Canada for the women's world cup now, far to close to the US for comfort. Bang to rights he is Guv'nor.

It was announced yesterday that he wouldn't be going to the Women's Worl Cup due to other pressing business that would keep him in Switzerland.

I wonder if Switzerland has got an extradition treaty with the USA ...