• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Family Visiting MPA.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm off to waste another 4 months of my life soon down The Falklands and my stint covers Xmas. My Wife & Son want to come over and visit during RR to have a look around to make up for this.

I'm after info (inc Costs if possible) on booking an Indulgence Flight (Return) and accommodation for them, also possibly a wagon for getting about in.

If any Goaters have any decent advice for us, it would be much appreciated.

gray

Sergeant
Only 4 months ? ;) No R&R unless you do 6.

2 years since I was down, so things might have changed slightly....but they have family rooms on MPA you can book, Indulgence was about £310 return at the time (you pay each leg separately (UK - ASI - MPA)). There are wagons you can hire from the PRI.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Last time I was down was 2009, middle of Winter. This meant it wasn't all that easy to spend your R&R constructively if you stayed on the Island and had no family visiting.

Cheers for the heads-up though Gray.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
More up to date gen any one on the classic 4 month Det (now less than 4 months, just), is not entitled to any R&R not even the old 4 days on island you used to get. But depending where you are working over that period, Xmas is on a Friday so you will get 3 days off anyway. So there is a possibilty of coming down on the flight before xmas and leaving n the one after.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Something better than nothing eh? I'll see if I can tap the HIVE up for any additional info.

Cheers everyone!

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Sorry to jump on this thread but I leave for 6 months at MPA in early May. If anyone has gems of advice or some good heads up gen I'd really appreciate it.

This message was sent using my thumb.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I bought a barbour (perfect for the days off), good walking boots and wellies and brought fishing gear for the inlets - and ****loads of sports kit.

Oh and learn to write letters again. Yeah, you could type, but you know what goes down better.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Is there nobody else on the whole of the goat with gen on MPA for those visiting for the first time???

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Is there nobody else on the whole of the goat with gen on MPA for those visiting for the first time???

The best person to ask is the guy you are replacing - things change down there all the time. I came back in Feb and gave the guy replacing me all the gen he needed and more.....at least his advice will be specific for your needs ie job/Mess etc etc

glen

SAC
Agree with Billy Whizz - best up to date gen will be from the guy your replacing.

Been a wee while since my last visit but from memory

Gym good but as you can imagine gets very busy at peak times
Squash Courts
Paintballing area - I used to marshal here on weekends - get paid for it and gets you out room/complex
Pool good size - water was ionized when I was there not chlorinated so not so sore on the eyes
Internet suite
WiFi - recall can use phone card for calls or internet
Cinema - SSVC shows recent ones not so long after UK
Bowling alley
Can hire car to go exploring
Education centre - can sign up for courses - they pay if you haver a subject you can teach - also organise helicopter trips and battle field tours.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
have warm kit ready for when you arrive, as the temp is getting a bit cold now, currently feels around low single figures. Some of the wildlife areas have closed down now sea lion island etc. There are some still open for the odd helibid. If you are going to bring a camera and have the choice between a point and shoot or something more technical, bring the more technical camera and experiment.

Depending where you will be accomodated the sure wi-fi hotspots are hit and miss, you get either a 30 min phone card or a 100 min wi-fi. There is area 51 for internet and you will be entitled to 45 min a day, or 30 mins on one of the skype terminals. There can be a bit of a wait at busy times.

The gym and pool are open from early morning 0530 (0600 for pool) until late at night 10 ish. So if that is your thing it is perfect for passing the time.

The old folks home rules have changed recently, you are no longer allowed to wear t-shirts at any time in the mess.

Depending on what mobile phone network you are on in the uk, you might have roaming down here O2 certainly do, 40p a text to send nothing to recieve, calls are just expensive. You could cancel or put your contract on, I didn't and it proved useful when one of my kids broke themselves and the wife ended up in hospital over night with them, I was kept up to date so I wasn't worrying, just because of that it was worth paying andnot using any uk allowance.

I have been down here numerous times, and I have overpacked everytime, I have bought clothes down I haven't worn. At the end of the day if you don't bring something you can shop amazon/cotswolds tax free, and it will usually only take 2 weeks to get down here. I have got away with 2 sets of uniform, 1 pair of boots. At least one set of really smart cloting is essential even as a junior for unit functions in the seniors mess.

Bring your toiletries as they are around 1/3 again more expensive than uk, and limited selection.

If you're bring a laptop for films etc, bring an external drive to keep your collection up to date.

That is all I can remember if you have anything specific PM me.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
have warm kit ready for when you arrive, as the temp is getting a bit cold now, currently feels around low single figures. Some of the wildlife areas have closed down now sea lion island etc. There are some still open for the odd helibid. If you are going to bring a camera and have the choice between a point and shoot or something more technical, bring the more technical camera and experiment.

Depending where you will be accomodated the sure wi-fi hotspots are hit and miss, you get either a 30 min phone card or a 100 min wi-fi. There is area 51 for internet and you will be entitled to 45 min a day, or 30 mins on one of the skype terminals. There can be a bit of a wait at busy times.

The gym and pool are open from early morning 0530 (0600 for pool) until late at night 10 ish. So if that is your thing it is perfect for passing the time.

The old folks home rules have changed recently, you are no longer allowed to wear t-shirts at any time in the mess.

Depending on what mobile phone network you are on in the uk, you might have roaming down here O2 certainly do, 40p a text to send nothing to recieve, calls are just expensive. You could cancel or put your contract on, I didn't and it proved useful when one of my kids broke themselves and the wife ended up in hospital over night with them, I was kept up to date so I wasn't worrying, just because of that it was worth paying andnot using any uk allowance.

I have been down here numerous times, and I have overpacked everytime, I have bought clothes down I haven't worn. At the end of the day if you don't bring something you can shop amazon/cotswolds tax free, and it will usually only take 2 weeks to get down here. I have got away with 2 sets of uniform, 1 pair of boots. At least one set of really smart cloting is essential even as a junior for unit functions in the seniors mess.

Bring your toiletries as they are around 1/3 again more expensive than uk, and limited selection.

If you're bring a laptop for films etc, bring an external drive to keep your collection up to date.

That is all I can remember if you have anything specific PM me.

One thing I will add - I had a Falklands Sim (handed down to me) and used What's App instead of texting - v good value for any time contact and for sending photo's etc back home and for receiving stuff. Left just as the new Mess rules came in re T-shirts although did get one b0llocking from an army c0ck zob whilst we were sharing their Mess - I think he noticed the eyes rolling and massive tut!

Mine was 3rd tour - last 2 in winter - and I made a conscious effort to get out and about as often as I could - don't intend ever going back!

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Massive thank you everyone. Unfortunately the DAMO I'm replacing left months ago and I've only three weeks or so to prep so your gen has been extremely helpful. I'm sure the 6 months will fly by...

Cheers