• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Family Accommodation Hoohjummywhatsit help please?

AbsBaps

LAC
Hello all,

This sounds dull but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer anywhere else on the interest.
My partner and I are both in the application process for RAF, and will be off to RAF Halton soon, but for the past year we have been batting about the idea of getting married. Grim business I know but hey, you gotta do it once.
If we were to be wed after training, how would this affect our postings?
Would we still spend 2-3 years at odd ends of the country, or could we apply to have shared accommodation and be posted in the same station? Note: We don't have kids and aren't planning any.

Any information would be marvellous and very reassuring!
Many thanks
Baps.
:)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
The #1 Factor when the Career Managers decide on posting someone is, does it meet Service Needs?

You can apply for co-location but you may not get it, quite simply if you or your future husband is at 'X' and the other wants a posting there as well but no slots are available then you're out of luck.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
It will be easier to co-locate if you are joining one of the bigger trades. The career managers have always been pretty good in my experience when it comes to co-location, I've always served on the same camp as the Mrs, usually the same Sqn too although sometimes on a different shift pattern.

FootTapper

Sergeant
If you're married before you finish trade training then the career manager can at least take it into consideration for co-location. If you get married after you've got your first postings then the needs of the service are likely to suggest you spend at least a minimum period in your assigned postings before considering co-location.

In the military you are either "married" or "single" - it doesn't matter how long you've lived together, how long you've been engaged or if you own houses etc together. The regs/system is based on the assumption that if you are "serious" you'll be married, if you're not married then the military doesn't much care.

(Of course, the situation is different if you have kids)

(Of course, the situation is different if you have kids)

Speaking from personal experience the above quote makes no difference either, as you say you are either Single or Married, as far as the military is concerned I'm single with dependant children, so is my partner. it entitles us to the square root of F^&K all, I am entitled to exactly the same as a Cat 5. Some stations will bend the rules slightly if they have spare MQ's and then you have to choose which parent the children are going to reside with. manning have a pecking order for posting and it goes something like this. 1. Service Need, 2. Last tour of duty, 3. Compassionate need, 4. co-locatioin, 5. Promotion.

T

Tubby

I think foottapper is referring to being married with kids and co-locating, rather than max's situation were he is co-locating without kids. The op wishes to get married in the near future so it would be more relevant than your particular situation.

Last edited:

FootTapper

Sergeant
Sorry - didn't mean to throw things into confusion with the mention of kids.

Since the OP doesn't have kids - the sooner you're married, the sooner the RAF and your CM will take into account that you have a "family". Until you're married, your "family" are just the people they notify.

*Personally* - if I was in your position I'd look to marry sooner rather than later, even if you went for a small registry office thing and then had a big do later on.