• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Famillies...........

Gapjohn

LAC
Ok, so in the application process, AST, and selection interviews done, so still a little while to go yet, medical in a fortnight, looking at an approximate January start if all goes to plan. Married, 2 kids, one step son. Looking to join as a Gen Tech Mech. Just looking for a heads up of any possible pitfalls, which hopefully can be avoided by prior planning. Things like:

What's the likelihood of having to kick around Halton post basic training waiting for a start date in St Athan for trade training?

Does the RAF recognise step children as dependents? If not, would having parental reponsibility for said child make a difference?

Time scale for arranging married quarters in St Athan?

Anything else that anyone in the same(ish) situation has to offer will be appreciated.

E

erindoors

Step children are recognised, my Husband has 4.....a very brave man lol

P

P4uldustmonkey

Get a divorce lol.

Nah i joined up late and had 4 children etc what i would say is ask as many questions you can while you are in the training phase.

The only difficult thing i found was trying to get the family adapted to service life did take a while. Try and get them involved as much as possible be it Beer calls Sqn doo's your wife needs friends aswell.

Good luck with your application.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wives and kids at beercalls? There's an atmosphere killer....

Gapjohn

LAC
Rules for Singlies at Squadron 'Family' Events

1. Get drunk.
2. Embarrass the scaleys.
3. Dance with their wives.

Nice.....oh to be single again:pDT_Xtremez_19: Cheers guys, one of the main questions out of the way :pDT_Xtremez_19: How many readers ended up waiting around before starting trade training? Apparently the 'Satisfied Airman Scheme' has disappeared, and if there's a wait involved, it's spent in Halton? Is it common to be waiting for a space on your chosen trade? Reviews of St Athan quarters?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
East camp quarters very new and modern but the bedrooms, especially the 3rd bedroom is like a box room. All have garages. West Camp quarters, old style red brick - not as modern but bedrooms are bigger (no utility room in these though) I used to live in Curlew Crescent on West Camp. if I could have bought the house I was living in - I would have. loved it.
Curlew Crescent is the best road to have a house on West Camp.

Gapjohn

LAC
Cool, thanks for the quick replies from everyone :pDT_Xtremez_26: Just Had a google street view at Curlew Crescent, all tidy looking, was starting to worry about the space taken up by bikes, kids bikes, kayaks, etc.......doesn't look like it should be too much of a problem though, fingers crossed for a place with a garage though?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
There are SIF garages at the either end of Curlew Crescent.. no more than a 40 yard walk.