• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

F.A.O Singlies and living in personnel

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
With what justification? Personally I don't think we should have to pay for a TV licence at all, but as long as we do I don't see why livers-in should be exempt.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
With what justification? Personally I don't think we should have to pay for a TV license at all, but as long as we do I don't see why livers-in should be exempt.

I thought I was with you on this one, but after reading the justification on the petition I am unsure.

"Many personnel, within the UK armed forces feel that paying full price for television license, is excessive, for example: A single accomodation block containing approx 30 troops will cost these personnel accumulatively £4500. Whereas today personnel held within this countries Detention Centres, are provided with televisions free of charge and are paying nothing towards the licencing costs. One other factor to contribute, is the amount of time forces personnel spend out of country, thus paying for what they are not using."

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
"Many personnel, within the UK armed forces feel that paying full price for television license, is excessive, for example: A single accomodation block containing approx 30 troops will cost these personnel accumulatively £4500. Whereas today personnel held within this countries Detention Centres, are provided with televisions free of charge and are paying nothing towards the licencing costs. One other factor to contribute, is the amount of time forces personnel spend out of country, thus paying for what they are not using."

I may be wrong, I am sometimes (lol), but I think if you are out of the country for an extended period, e.g., OOA, you are entitled to a rebate.

People in detention centres shouldn't get television anyway, IMHO. I would make an exception for asylum seekers, it would help them learn English (which should be a pre-requisite for all immigrants). And you never know, a diet of Eastenders and Jeremy Kyle may just persuade them to try their luck in France!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Dodgy one this. Even as a married bloke I have to pay the licence. What is the difference? I still go out of area as much as a singlie.

I do believe however, that people with who live in during the week that have a licence for their house, should not be required to have two.

Just an aside, people who run guest houses have to have a licence for each room

AllWoman

Flight Sergeant
Dodgy one this. Even as a married bloke I have to pay the licence. What is the difference? I still go out of area as much as a singlie.

I do believe however, that people with who live in during the week that have a licence for their house, should not be required to have two.

Not quite SSH they pay the same as everyone else unless they have more than 15 rooms.

F

Fablon biff chit

I may be wrong, I am sometimes (lol), but I think if you are out of the country for an extended period, e.g., OOA, you are entitled to a rebate.

Possibly, you really need to fight for it. Mine ran out just as I went off to the sand pit and I refused to renew it till I got back, the guy on the phone never heard of this before but was OK with it. Still got nasty letters sent to me in Basra though, tw@ts!!

tats

Sergeant
SirSaltyHelmet said:

Not quite SSH they pay the same as everyone else unless they have more than 15 rooms.

Not sure about guest houses but for multi tenant properties if there are lockable doors and seperate tenancy agreements then there have to be seperate licences. So any student property or the like have numerous licences, and for the average halls that can be anything from £16500 to £65000

PSF Angel

LAC
I'm with SSH on this one. Why should you have to pay for 2 TV licenses when you live in during the week? Especially if you don't have anyone else living in your house while you are on camp.

ailiebird

Corporal
Why? When I lived in the block during the week, because of family stability I had to pay for two tv licences. I don't know why singlies should be exempt.

techoz

chicken sh1t trolley
Sorry if its caused offence peeps, just thought it was something worthwhile looking at. Atb Techoz

Who? Me?

SAC
I'm with SSH on this one. Why should you have to pay for 2 TV licenses when you live in during the week? Especially if you don't have anyone else living in your house while you are on camp.

Don't know how true it is, but I was on a course the other week with someone who was told by the licensing people that he didn't need a separate license for the mess and his house as he wasn't watching / using both tv sets consecutively. He was informed of this after he annoyed them by ringing up each Fri & Sun and changing his address on his license to either his home address or the station address.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
easy answer?

easy answer?

If you live on your own you need one and if you go on a temp course det or live in during the week shifts etc You shouldn't need a second.

Singlies need to pay it, shouldnt be exempt just cos u live in, sorry.

If you live in the block during the week but family back home its always difficult.
Why not have a cheaper single user and a more pricey family license?

As I am overseas at the minute I dont pay for any, although getting that through to the agency is hard work. I have had a full rainbow of demands.
For some reason they take it off my LOA too ie I am better off in a country with no english tele cos I dont have to pay a license.

I am with you on the Cbeebies for prison though............or QVC or any of the free to view channels

T55

Sergeant
Perhap someone who has served in NI can confirm this but I believe there was a special rate for personnel there?

Singlies - if it is your prime residence then I see no reason why you should not pay.

Married unaccompanied - very difficult - why pay for 2 licences when in reality you could be out of the country for 4 months per year, on leave for at least 6 weeks and, if you are lucky, at home for the remaining weekends. That does not add up to much quality viewing. That is why at best there should be no need to hold 2 licences and at worst an abated charge licence.

E

Edzar

TV Cards in laptops/PC's

TV Cards in laptops/PC's

I have a TV card for slotting into my laptop when I go to live in the mess posted-unaccompanied soon. Will I need to buy a license for that?

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
yes

yes

yes indeedy,
and to be honest if your phone is also a radio, then should have one for that I think.

anything that can recieve tv needs a licence
I think you can still get away with temp use outside your home...ie a week long course or something.