• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eyesight when serving

Jenko123

LAC
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Hello,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I apologise for how random this question is but it's been worrying me for quite a while. I am very short sighted and the limit for the refractive error on entry is -6 for ground trades. My eyes are -5.75 and -6, so it's within the limits and I've passed my medical; however they will more than likely deteriorate in the future. Once they pass this -6 threshold in the future whilst serving, what will happen then? Will I be medically downgraded? Will I be allowed to continue to serve? I appreciate any information anybody has on this.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Kind regards

Jenko[/FONT][/FONT]

Hard to answer as I am not medically qualified. But, if you have passed your medical for entry into the RAF then that is the main thing right now. once you are in and have qualified as a trade if there are any issues then the RAF should be able to help and also adapt your work place to assist. For example (and its a broad example!) you cant join the forces with a limb missing but, those who have lost one on operations or during service career are kept on if they can be or medically discharged. I am not medically qualified as I say but I would suggest that right now concentrate on completing your application and getting in. once your in if there are any issues they can be dealt with.

My eyes are -6.25, not sure what they were when I joined up. Aside from the initial medical, no one ever asked my prescription for glasses after that point. The medicals I had after that acknowledged that I could see nothing without my glasses, and with I could see perfectly. That was the extent of the medicals.

Left last year after 22 years, so you should be fine.

Happy to be corrected by people who are medically trained obviously.