• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explaining to kids what you are going to be doing

Entropy

Sergeant
My 9 yr old has just worked out what I will be doing over the summer and has been asking an awful lot of questions (while I am away on a course). I can see that she's worried and I am really trying to think of the best way to explain what I'll be doing.

I seem to remember that there was a booklet out that helping with the subject and wondered if it is still around and who publishes it and if it was of any use. Also does anyone have any practical advice with helping them to understand and allay any fears.

B

bluetonic

Its a difficult one, my daughters are a little younger (7 and 3) every time i have been away i took a specific toy of theirs (jess the fookin cat actually, bit embarrassing falling out of my kit bag in the sand) and have managed to post pics online or send them images, they like it.

Strange, but the eldest have never really asked what i am actually doing whilst away, just if i will be bringing back a present!!!

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
My 9 yr old has just worked out what I will be doing over the summer and has been asking an awful lot of questions (while I am away on a course). I can see that she's worried and I am really trying to think of the best way to explain what I'll be doing.

I seem to remember that there was a booklet out that helping with the subject and wondered if it is still around and who publishes it and if it was of any use. Also does anyone have any practical advice with helping them to understand and allay any fears.

Your Station HIVE should have some packs for the families of deploying personnel that include loads of child related stuff.

There's also some links in the RAF Community website that could help: http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/operational/familyandseparation.cfm

This pamphlet offers some advice: http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/getmedia/downloader.cfm?file=CADF4F1C-5056-A318-A8C66B2302F30D14

Last edited:

Entropy

Sergeant
Sorry for the late reply guys as I have been on a course. Thanks as this was just the thing I was looking for. I went down to the HIVE while I was on my course, they gave me loads of stuff but it was all for while I was away.

Climebear, the links were what I was looking for. I'll print them off and digest accordingly.