• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exped to USA

T

Tally Ho

I've just been told of an exped to the States where the vast majority of personnel are made up of officers with a few token airmen to assist with funding. Is this the norm?

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
No, these expeds are open to one and all, you just need to know where to look to find out about them. It used to be in DCI's but I can't remember what they are called now (another sign of old age).

Last edited:
T

Tally Ho

Thought so. However, I understand from my sources that there are 12 officers and 3 token airmen going on it. The majority of funding is coming from our station sports fund and SIF; the airmen are from another unit. I may have to eat humble pie - but it sounds a bit iffy to me.

Basically mate, anyone can arrange an exped. You do however need an exped leader, and need to open it to your whole unit.

But, lets say you wanted to organise one for 12 people. One would be you, one would be the exped leader, and the other 10 from the unit. If though whilst organising the exped, 10 of your mate said they wanted to go, then they would have their applications sat on the desk waiting for you to submit the details to PSF for SRO's, at which time their applications arrive on the desk at PSF before anyone elses.

Therefore all the spaces are filled. It was opened to all, but people you know just happened to get there first, know what I mean???:pDT_Xtremez_15:

There are exceptions to this rule, but that is what tends to happen.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Main problem is the "we are far too busy to let the lads off for expeds" from some of the Seniors. Those of you who have read my threads know my feelings on time off for fitness and expeds, so you know I could get quite heated over this thread. I ensure as many of my troops as possible benefit from the expeds the RAF have to offer, be it skiing or wandering around the Mendips! It is all to do with planning and programming (Yes I am well aware of the flak I am about to get from Lyneham, BZN etc, I still stand by what I say)

Just an observation!