• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exceeding Annual Mileage

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have read on various places on the net that exceeding your estimated annual mileage you quote to the insurance company, on taking out/renewal is no big deal unless you are clearly taking the psih as it is only an estimate. Should I phone them and tell them I'm probs gonna be over my estimate by about 2K or just leave it?

Cheers.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Funny co-incidence, I re insured one of mine this morning and was told if I exceeded the estimated 8000 annual miles it was £500 per 1000 over (total policy cost was £250!) but I was wondering how the hell they would know seeing as they don't know what mileage it is on now?

Webbo

Sergeant
Funny co-incidence, I re insured one of mine this morning and was told if I exceeded the estimated 8000 annual miles it was £500 per 1000 over (total policy cost was £250!) but I was wondering how the hell they would know seeing as they don't know what mileage it is on now?

Isn't it now an automated system, with the mileage being on your MOT, although if your insurance in months after your MOT then I guess not. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

litterman

SAC

How do they know what mileage was when you took out insurance i have never been asked ??????????

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

50p a mile!!!!! How ridiculous is that. How can anyone accurately tell exactly how many miles they are going to drive?

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I do 550 miles per week.. 47 times a year.. Just for work and I know a lot of RAF personnel that do similar, if not more. Errh 8,000 miles that doesn't equal.. Think I'll let the insurers work that out before I tell them..:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I do 550 miles per week.. 47 times a year.. Just for work and I know a lot of RAF personnel that do similar, if not more. Errh 8,000 miles that doesn't equal.. Think I'll let the insurers work that out before I tell them..:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I told them 8000 miles, I normally do a bit less than that in this car per year. My other car has a 2000 mile restriction on it (again, which I specified) which is about right, and for that car they do ask for the exact odo reading at renewal. Specified mileage policies are normally cheaper hence why I do it that way.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And I'll bet you don't get cashback if you are under...:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I told them 8000 miles, I normally do a bit less than that in this car per year. My other car has a 2000 mile restriction on it (again, which I specified) which is about right, and for that car they do ask for the exact odo reading at renewal. Specified mileage policies are normally cheaper hence why I do it that way.

I just go for the standard, no questions asked..

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I just go for the standard, no questions asked..

I found out when sorting the insurance for Mr Tin Basher Senior that even at his advanced age there were savings to be had by using a reduced milage policy. From one MOT to the next he had amassed during the entire calendar year a grand total of 1790 miles (it failed on a perished tyre by the way) By changing to a milage policy rather than "standard" his costs were much reduced.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
I think it’s fair to say that given the way these Sh**ty insurance companies work and all the computer jiggery they have at their fingertips.....I would tell them about the pending increase in the "allowed" mileage.

"Mmmmmm Sorry to hear you have written off your shiny motor but as you have exceeded the mileage you stated at renewal we cannot honour your claim".

SCJ