• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro exchange.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Does anyone know if 'we' (serving personnel) still get tax free exchange rates at airports?? Also which seller do I need to see for them. Going from Manchester airport and require euros. Thanks in advance. :)

Jaymac

Sergeant
By tax-free, I assume you mean commission free. If so, there are loads of places do this e.g. No.1 Money Exchange, Post Office etc.

However, they all give the "tourist rate", which today is 1.102 euros to the pound. If you use your cashpoint card abroad then you get the Visa Bank Rate which is at 1.13522 euros to the pound today. To get this rate, you will be asked by the ATM if you want to convert to Sterling. The answer is always NO, otherwise you will get the tourist rate plus any charges the banks stick on.

Your own bank will also probably stick on a charge e.g. mines charges £1 per transaction plus 1% which takes the rate to £1.1239. If your bank is the same then take the maximum out each time you use the ATM.

If you're with Santander I believe there are no transaction charges if you use their machines in Spain.

Whoever you're with, check their charges for overseas transaction and, just to reiterate, NEVER allow the machine (or retailer) to convert to Sterling.