• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v Sri Lanka

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Well the England side seem to be up to their old tricks again See here

Listening to Talk Sport this morning, they were implying that if Flintoff was fit and playing everything would be alright. Now I do think he's a quality player but 61-6 is an abysmal reply to the Sri Lanka total of 499-9, not even Freddie could turn a game that much.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Andrew Flintoff has flattered to deceive, really, since Ashes '05. He should never have been made captain in Australia and I said this before the home series against Pakistan had finished. The effect on Andrew Strauss, who was snubbed for the captaincy after doing so well that summer, was and is devastating - I'd argue he is just as much if not more of a loss. The same is true of Chris Read who did everything that was asked of him after he replaced Geraint Jones and yet three weeks before a ball was bowled in the Ashes he was told he would not be playing. Shoddy, very shoddy, but England's loss is very definitely Nottinghamshire's gain.

Kevin Pietersen has also displayed a lot of the traits that led to him not only wanting to leave Nottinghamshire but also (despite what the club said publicly)Nottinghamshire wanting rid of him. In fairness though he's shown less of this in recent months.

How Steve Harmison gets a game after Ashes 06/07 is for me utterly incomprehensible. To have our main strike bowler proclaim at a press conference as he did at Brisbane(?) that he "was not bothered" about taking the new ball is astounding. Could you imagine Glenn McGrath saying that? Or Jeff Thomson, or Dennis Lillee, or even a certain Frederick Sewards Trueman?! I truly believe that Steve does not even like cricket! They would (despite his 3 wickets) have been better keeping faith with Stuart Broad.

But I'm not totally full of gloom. It is notoriously difficult to tour the sub-continent and all this series does is put the successes we had under Nasser Hussain in Sri Lanka/Pakistan/India into context. Rather that berate England, I prefer to marvel at an astounding Sri Lankan performance.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
81 all out and 102 for 1 with rain having stopped play.

Chaminda Vaas 9.5 overs 2 maidens 4 for 28. That's pretty special bowling.

Just as an aside I was saw every day of the Trent Bridge test last year and to be sitting if the pavilion watching Murali take 8 for 70 was special, very special. Monty battled hard to get 5 for 78 too.

F

fergo

Absolutely shambolic fist inning for England!
Really have to hope the rain knocks off a day of play.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
No more play today - England might just scramble a draw, lucky barstewards. Murali is different class, but he has been well supported by Vaas and Malinga the Swinger.

F

fergo

Ah, just realised from looking at BBC sport that was stumps.

Murali on day 5 is never an easy prospect. Bet you they are all doing rain dances. 9 wickets in hand to save the test.
They will need a lot more back bone than they showed in 1st innings

Status
Not open for further replies.