• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Engineering Officer (Fresh Out of Uni)

Hi Dingo, I’m going to attempt to answer a few of your points. However I’m using my phone and it’s struggle to read/post simultaneously; but here goes.

Slackers - Generally speaking, it would usually be JNCO/SNCOs who deal with this in the first instance. It’s their job and is often sorted at that level. As an EngO you may have the odd bit of paperwork cross your desk for this which comes down to Administrative Action. You’ll essential review the case and dish out the punishment (it doesn’t often get to this point).

Accountability - Mistake happen and again, JNCO/SNCOs are in place to manage the workers. They ‘should’ pick up on an individual acting out of character, from personal issues etc. This doesn’t always happen and mistakes do occur. However, this is called Human Factors (we do training on this). The supervisor (generally a Cpl) should be ensuring all work completed is to the correct standard and sign it off to say as much. There is much less ‘blame culture’ present and more effort to find out how/why errors have happened and how to mitigate them in the future. However if this impacted Air Safety then there would be a full MAA review. In 12 years I’ve not experienced an instance that has jeopardised Air Safety *touch wood*.

Your job is to make sure your SNCOs are ensuring all personnel are qualified and experienced enough to work on equipment, and provide the correct levels of supervision. It relies on trust (upwards and downwards) that everyone is fulfilling their roles.

Don’t worry about things like that, it’s part of the job and the risk is relatively low.

Thanks for the info Ell, that clears a few things up for me.

Seems the role is a little less micro-management than I expected, but that's a good thing. It's definitely better to have the JNCO/SNCO personnel deal with those matters. Not as any benefit of 'less work' for the EngO, but naturally because there's a better understanding and relationship amongst the enlisted men on the shop floor (or could be me being ignorant in that view).

Certainly sounds like a MAA review isn't something one would want to be associated with then... Though it's good that they appear so rarely, owing to things running smoothly. Naturally you have to meet someone to trust them, but I've no few would have trouble trusting the skills/judgement of a tenured SNCO.

i can say with a degree of certinty that this would not be the case, the last thing i would have wanted was a wet behind the ears JENGO with nil type experiance trying to get involved.

Mildly mannered indeed, Mr. Janitor!

The statement was more for showing the intent of getting involved with the team, though at my work place, it was definitely appreciated to operate the crane/tighten some bolts every now and then when the labor force was tapped out. Also served as a good exercise in learning to appreciate the time/difficulty of performing tasks, which was good reference when planning projects. I'm sure it's quite different in the RAF from a technical standpoint alone, i.e qualifications to even be performing tasks. Also as stated earlier in the thread, not many people (if any) are keen to have other leaning over their shoulder whilst working. As some have said though, operating a winch etc might be appreciated as an extra pair of hands, but that's obviously down to the chemistry on the shop floor.

Back in the early days of the Tornado on the Senior Bomber squadron our SENGO (a very good bloke by the way) had all the BENGOS out in the HASs working with the linies until they were competent at flight servicing ,after that they had short spells with the trade desks.

Simple but effective.

Good timing, Barch! I was just writing some replies when you posted.

I'm supportive of that methodology, for sure. Sounds like a good bloke who wanted people to appreciated the work done on the shop floor, and the time and difficulties associated with them. Not to mention building some better relationships with the linies.

Always a good way of learning what tasks are considered 'a pain' too, and let's you determine/talk out whether it's a pain because of necessity or some concocted BS. Helps in identifying the areas for improvement. (Again, could be me being naive!)

Hi all,

I'm posting here to just give a quick update on my application. I have my Filter Interview coming up pretty soon. It took a while to get it booked, but the AFCO's have understandably been swamped, so it is what it is.

I've learned NATOs history, including the proceeding treaties that precluded it and their years of signing. Though I have yet to do an in-depth look at the UKs part NATO's in armed interventions in Serbia, Kosovo and Libya.

I'm currently in the middle of learning the tenets of Air Power, though the only solid information I can find on it is the official JDP 0-30 report. That being said, it does make for some interesting reading, but I doubt they expect knowledge that comprehensive, but that only means I get the chance to exceed expectations.

I'll update the thread again after my filter interview, hopefully with positive news.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

I'm posting here to just give a quick update on my application. I have my Filter Interview coming up pretty soon. It took a while to get it booked, but the AFCO's have understandably been swamped, so it is what it is.

I've learned NATOs history, including the proceeding treaties that precluded it and their years of signing. Though I have yet to do an in-depth look at the UKs part NATO's in armed interventions in Serbia, Kosovo and Libya.

I'm currently in the middle of learning the tenets of Air Power, though the only solid information I can find on it is the official JDP 0-30 report. That being said, it does make for some interesting reading, but I doubt they expect knowledge that comprehensive, but that only means I get the chance to exceed expectations.

I'll update the thread again after my filter interview, hopefully with positive news.

Quote some of this....

Cheers Stevie, I did memorize a good few quotes from there, unfortunately never got the chance to use them. Seems they were only after the three fundamentals and four roles of air power.

On the bright side, managed to pass the Filter Interview (scored quite well apparently, but never asked for the numbers)
Got my phone medical booked for early next month, then should have the face-to-face medical done by the end of next month according to my recruiter. Should be smooth sailing, barring some new diagnosis I'm not aware of.

Working on my fitness at the moment, been plagued by shin splints because I did too much (relatively) too soon, but I've managed to sort that out with some foam rolling and daily stretches/exercises, so running is now back on the menu (and pain free)! Push-ups and sit-ups are already up to scratch, going to just try for some more intensity from now (circuits etc).

I've also got to get out there and do some adventurous activities and community work. Got plans for canoeing, rock climbing, hiking and some (waterfall) diving. I've got some football coaching lined up for community work, but I'm going to also get out there and do some work in elderly groups.

I'll keep the thread updated after my medical, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can prepare/make myself a more attractive candidate for OASC, please let me know! Other than that, I'll answer whatever questions get posted in the unlikelihood that anyone has one.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Your prospects will be good if you have played the right game when you are in. Often following the script for rapid advancement does not translate into high employability whereas bagging every course, qualification and chartership you can for free (or part funded), which may not marry with what your Desky wants, will set you up for a far higher paid role in more interesting and explorative fields than you'll see in the mob...I'm ex-Aircrew with an engineering background. I work for a high end consultancy alongside a number of ex-EngOs who are now earning far more than when in and doing very well from it.

Hope this helps.
I know shag all about EngOs, other than some of the tools I had the misfortune to call my boss.

However, in terms of prospects, you can quite easily achieve what Vim has listed here leaving as a mere SAC(T). I did exactly that in 2009 and have enjoyed a very lucrative career in the rail industry ever since, although it took a lot of work and a little bit of luck.

Nobody outside gives a shit that you were a SAC(T), Squadron Leader or Master of the Universe, unless you go and work in a MOD type environment where I assume the vestiges of rank remain....

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Nobody outside gives a shit that you were a SAC(T), Squadron Leader or Master of the Universe, unless you go and work in a MOD type environment where I assume the vestiges of rank remain....
I'm now MOD (Ex long standing 2 Banana) about to replace an ex WO in a very high profile role and nobody bats an eyelid to my past as I bring the required behaviours to my professional environment, running rings round certain well established wholly civilian colleagues as they just don't quite get it, or just don't want to. It did initially feel weird being on 1st name terms with still serving seniors who have considerable amounts of scrambled egg on their attire but that didn't last long.

Hey all,

I'm back again with an update. I had my phone call medical and face-to-face medical this month. I was slapped with a TMU at the phone call medical, but at my face-to-face the doctor was bewildered with what they wanted to know, and deemed me medically fit without even needing the GP notes! (It was really benign stuff from a life time ago). Feel like I've dodged a big bullet there with the capita process.

Onwards and upwards to the PJFT next. I should be cracking on with that within the next month (fortunately the backlog of people waiting since lockdown has cleared now). I'm a bit shy off of the run at the moment, but will nail it within a few weeks. It's possible now with a lot of effort, but out of my comfort zone for sure.

As always, I'll be back to drop an update when I've passed my PFJT (or failed 😬).

M

mehmenmike

Good luck with the PJFT Dingo_Ranger. I'm in pretty much the exact same position as you - applying for EngO (CE). Just a couple months behind time-wise. Passed the filter interview on Monday!

I hope this thread becomes one that people will come across in the future and that details Dingo_Ranger's long (but successful!) ride to becoming an EngO. Thank you!

This thread has been massively helpful, thanks for making it. I've quietly been following it for some time. And big thanks to all who have posted with their insights and knowledge too.

Good luck on your application.

Good luck with the PJFT Dingo_Ranger. I'm in pretty much the exact same position as you - applying for EngO (CE). Just a couple months behind time-wise. Passed the filter interview on Monday!

This thread has been massively helpful, thanks for making it. I've quietly been following it for some time. And big thanks to all who have posted with their insights and knowledge too.

Good luck on your application.
Fast forward to today... I'm prepping for OASC now at the end of May. Had Crapita hold me back at the medical stage for a few months because apparently I have a bony wrist...

I won't lie, I'm a nervous wreck. Just hoping that my 'interview demon' assumes control of my body on the day. 😵‍💫

One of the most important things you're supposed to display at OASC is confidence, or a lack or nerves. Rats.

Last edited: