• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Electric cable/stud locators

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Anybody recommend a good electric cable/stud locator or any tips for finding an electric cable in the wall. I'm wanting to put up a shelf near a cooker

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Anybody recommend a good electric cable/stud locator or any tips for finding an electric cable in the wall. I'm wanting to put up a shelf near a cooker

I have found a high speed twist drill is excellent for finding cables and pipes.

Seriously, try >> HERE << and >> HERE <<.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I love screwfix...just saying.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Most cables and pipes tend to go straight up (downstairs) or straight down (upstairs) radiator pipes under downstairs windows will divert around the window one way or the other (put the heating on to find out which side).

Unless you are paying proper money for a device there tend to be far too many false positives and negatives with cheap detectors, electrical detectors very bad/vague and you may have lots of plastic pipes that won't be picked up by any devices.

Personally I follow the first set of rules and take it easy as go through the board, not let me down yet.

Any misunderstandings above caused by predictive texf

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Confused

Confused

I have one, but it beeps when it finds a stud for me to screw into...bit it also beeps when it finds an electrical cable where I shouldn't drill.

WHATS THE POINT WHEN IT DOESN'T TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE!

G

Gord

I have one, but it beeps when it finds a stud for me to screw into...bit it also beeps when it finds an electrical cable where I shouldn't drill.

WHATS THE POINT WHEN IT DOESN'T TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE!

That shouldn't happen as neither the copper wire nor the aluminium shielding that some cables are wrapped in are magnetic. most of these detectors pick up on the heads of the screws used to install the gypsum board/drywall onto the studs as they are made of steel so by simply picking up on two or more screw heads you can tell where the studs lay.

Cable detectors generally use electrical induction to pick up on the electromagnetic field created when current is running through a cable.

Faraday's Laws of Induction I believe.

Last edited:
Buy a good quality detector but don't trust them; they're fallible including, by experience, the Stanley product. When looking for battens use the detector and the 'tap' method together.

The advice of "cables down go up and cables up go down" is generally good but, as some amateurs don't follow the basic rules, double check with a "magic wand" detector. Also solid floor may alter the rules. Again the better the make the better the results but still use care as the detector may not warn if the cable isn't close. I use a Fluke LVD2 and I've known that to false alarm and fail to detect a live cable.

As the man said, drill with caution.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
stanley

stanley

That shouldn't happen as neither the copper wire nor the aluminium shielding that some cables are wrapped in are magnetic. most of these detectors pick up on the heads of the screws used to install the gypsum board/drywall onto the studs as they are made of steel so by simply picking up on two or more screw heads you can tell where the studs lay.

Cable detectors generally use electrical induction to pick up on the electromagnetic field created when current is running through a cable.

Faraday's Laws of Induction I believe.

The Stanley IntelliSessor homebaseuk/stanley-intellisensor-pocket-stud-detector
Is an example of where it all goes wrong. (I have one!) Worst bit is it reports EDGE when in fact it should say Cable! Pipe do not bang a nail in here!!!!!!!

G

Gord

The Stanley IntelliSessor homebaseuk/stanley-intellisensor-pocket-stud-detector
Is an example of where it all goes wrong. (I have one!) Worst bit is it reports EDGE when in fact it should say Cable! Pipe do not bang a nail in here!!!!!!!

I bought an old church which is all plaster and lathe in the outer walls. the new ones, for the bedrooms I built during the renovation, are of course studs and drywall but anyway, as we were checking the place out, I noticed a calendar hanging on the wall and when I removed it I found it had been hung on a f*ckin' 8 inch nail that was 1/4" in diameter, obviously installed by some bleedin' farmer as this is a country church. Don't tell me you are one of those.:biggrin::biggrin: