• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disturbance allowance.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Why do we still have this stupid system where you only get your disturbance allowance before you move if you submit the claim before the mid month pay run?

I'm sure it could be issued before you move, you know - the time when you could do with it!!

How come this hasn't been changed?

BJW

Corporal
Agree MM, if you are posted in the first two weeks of the month you can get it in your pay that month (just, maybe!?). If you are posted in the 2nd two weeks of the month you end up waiting at least 6 weeks for it. Not being able to apply until 42 days before seems a little unnecessary, surely you should be able to claim once the AO is issued?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I didn't realise it was 42 days, it used to be 30 days.
42 days would cover it fine.

Shame I didnt find out about that!

M

monobrow

surely you should be able to claim once the AO is issued?
Claiming for it just before you were due to move was never an issue when it was kindly deposited in the account outside of the pay run. If it was paid like JPA expenses it wouldn't be an issue.

S

stickleback67

Do you apply for D.A 42 days before your posting date or your march in date?

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Are you sure about that?

JSP 752 says a claim can be submitted 45 days prior to expected move date using online JPA form. I'm not at work currently, however I filled it out recently and am pretty sure it asks for the date on your assignment order - not the date of your march in. I started work at a new unit on 03 May 11, I submitted DA claim 45 days prior to this date on JPA and had no problems from HR, even though I didn't move quarter until 17 May 11.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
JSP 752 says a claim can be submitted 45 days prior to expected move date using online JPA form. I'm not at work currently, however I filled it out recently and am pretty sure it asks for the date on your assignment order - not the date of your march in. I started work at a new unit on 03 May 11, I submitted DA claim 45 days prior to this date on JPA and had no problems from HR, even though I didn't move quarter until 17 May 11.

It is the date that you (if claiming the single rate) or your family (if claiming the married rate) move address which governs the entitlement to disturbance allowance. For the sake of 2 weeks I wouldn't expect HR to give you any problems but if you were moving several months ahead of your family for whatever reason, e.g., your wife is a teacher contracted to finish the school year, that would be different.

In the case of moving your family 2 weeks before the date on the assignment order then it is the earlier date which should be used.

It is a good point about the questions which you have to answer when submitting your claim. I was not the only one to raise the ambiguity of those questions directly with the programmers at the very beginning of JPA's existence; we were told it would be rectified as part of the first major upgrade following the initial rollout to all 3 services. I'm still waiting...!

If in doubt, ask your JPA expenses authoriser how you should answer the questions in order to get the right payment at the right time.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Cant be bothered to work out the days exactly but I applied for my D.A 24/05/11 for my posting date 11/07/11 moving date 08/07/11 and it is in Jun 11's paypacket.