• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dii and the Open University. Please help me!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Just a quick technical question about Dii for you guys that work in a C4I. I’m a current OU student and in the past I’ve accessed the OU from Dii. Only on authorised breaks and lunchtimes obviously, RISE and all that. For the past few months whenever I try to login to the OU site I get the “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.” It is an https site but I’ve tried logging into my internet banking and managed that.

Do you know if this is just something to do with an upgrade of Dii and I’ll never access the OU at work again, or do you think raising a fault with the SPOC will have it remedied?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I am mate. Just logged in now to double check. You are talking about the student home account page right?

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yeah, I've tried logging on using someone else's Dii account and it still won't work. I put my login and password in, push enter and it comes up with cannot display we page error. It's a right pain sometimes as I used to do stuff during lunch.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
To eliminate the possibility of a problem with the page have you tried accessing it using a smart phone or similar that doesn't use the DII system?

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
We're on XP and yes, I can get on with my phone and at home. It's something to do with Dii and that particular website.

It's just frustrating.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's odd mate as today I have logged on through xp, 7, a fixed DII workstation and a dii laptop.

The OU website is or should be blocked by the DII gateway.

I cant remember the exact reason why but can provide this information tommorrow.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
The OU website was blocked by the EGS filter/JCU before Christmas because of security updates that OU applied to their site. However because DII only runs IE8 it is incompatible and causes unstable java errors and potential security holes. They are hoping that Win7 will fix these problems but there is no guarantee.

OU Website is blocked (should be) under MOD policy at the EGS Gateway. This is because the site uses forums and blogs and that users can download .exe files all of which is against MOD policy.

Not my words tbh..

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Well there you go, MoD policy portraying the same finesse as always there. Do you know why some forums and blogs are banned? What's so disgustingly scary about them? As for the .exe files, anyone can email themselves files in, the same idiots have a multitude of ways to introduce viruses. I'd reckon the OU website is the least of the MoDs worries.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Dilbert

SAC
Some of the replies on this thread are b0ll0x. I only revisit it as I had the same problem. Raised it with SPOC, and as previous posters state, it is a security issue with IE.

Got Google Chrome now and absolutely no problems at all. The only area of my OU page that I cannot access is the mail - which is to be expected.

Nice to see some typical e-goat bull5h!t responses, though...:raf:

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
The OU website doesn't work because DII is actually a highly advanced AI system, which randomly decides which sites it will or won't be blocking every morning. The length of time DII will choose to block a site will depend purely on how often the site is requested - the more people use it, the longer it gets blocked for (because DII has an evil sense of humour)...