• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Det songs?

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Have you ever been on a Det where you always hear the same songs over and over again? Or you hear a song years later, and think of the good or bad times away? My two that I cant seem to forget are:-

Hotel California / The Eagles - Always seemed to be playing in a Taxi whilst getting driven around Bahrain.

Paradise City / Guns & Roses - (Bahrain again) The drive to and from work in the Mazda minibus, with all the burnout bank robbery style getaways & down shift braking, making the locals laugh. It was the only tape casette left in the wagon (god knows how long it had been there?), and was always nearly played at full blast.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Similar but not exactly Det songs.

Every Breath you Take (Police) and I Guess that's why they call in the Blues (Elton John) from Infantry Basic Training in '83

19 (Paul Hardcastle) from Swinderby (19 Flt) in '85.

The entire 'Good Morning Vietnam' Album from Norway in '89 (the only other CD we had was Salt and Pepper (which wasn't played much)).

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Not any particular 'Det Songs' that stand out. But there are a couple from my stint down south.

Always get a big grin on my face though when I hear Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' after a great four months in the Falklands. Always remember a certain armourer's skinny arms waving around as he did the actions... booze fuelled of course!

For pretty much the same reason, every time I hear Abba's 'Dancing Queen' I get an urge to get up and start dancing. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I'm sat here grinning now... just thinking about it!

HTB

stingray888

Sergeant
Band of bloody Gold from Swinders 1970 (still makes me wince)

Another One Bites the Dust sung after every exercise on BA instructors course Catterick 198? Still brilliant

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Things Can Only Get Better - D:Ream

From my very long time on RDF - Recruit Development Flight (Biff Flt) when I was in basic training because of injury.

G

gemarriott

When will I see you again ---- three degrees

First song I heard and first time I'd ever heard it on arriving in Cyprus for the 1974 invasion by Turkey.

Pretty poignant as I'd moved into a quarter just a few days earlier as a newly wed, I assured her I wouldn't be going anywhere, went to work on nights, got given half an hour to draw KD nip home say goodbye and disappeared to Honington to fly out. We thought we were off to a shooting war but thank god it turned into phoney war.

She saw me again 2 months later with a great tan and shoulder length hair in answer to the song.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Karma Chameleon was no 1 for nearly the entire time I was at Swinderby - still have flashbacks when I hear it!

But the song associated with the best det ever would be 'Rock the Casbah' from Asi in the first half of '87 - it went though my head every time I saw a Tristar afterwards (as did memories of the night it came from !)

riggrrrr

SAC
Blackbird song - The Wurzels

Great memories of this every night in Timmy's down south. We used to hunt it down on the jukeboxes around Stanley as well, good times!

"I got to get out of this place" Always the last song at 12 FAC every time I've been down.CAMEL TOE on bfbs on Telic 3 every day and Sweet home Alabhama for the lads taking the **** up in Al amarrah.best tour I ever did in the RAF

P

pie sandwich

When will I see you again ---- three degrees

First song I heard and first time I'd ever heard it on arriving in Cyprus for the 1974 invasion by Turkey.

Pretty poignant as I'd moved into a quarter just a few days earlier as a newly wed, I assured her I wouldn't be going anywhere, went to work on nights, got given half an hour to draw KD nip home say goodbye and disappeared to Honington to fly out. We thought we were off to a shooting war but thank god it turned into phoney war.

She saw me again 2 months later with a great tan and shoulder length hair in answer to the song.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I didn't think they had invented music when you joined the RAF:pDT_Xtremez_30:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Some dodgy wraf in the Gull & Pengy, Xmas 93. Wouldn't say it was the best, but I vaguely remember it cos she had a better 'tasche than me.

gray

Sergeant
Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love: 1988
No Doubt - Don't Speak : 1997

Nothing else seems to be popping through the alcohol fuelled dets !

Gray

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Some dodgy wraf in the Gull & Pengy, Xmas 93. Wouldn't say it was the best, but I vaguely remember it cos she had a better 'tasche than me.

Either slightly off topic, or you wrote a song about this experience? Who let the dog's out?

Digzster

Sergeant
Who let the dogs out ---- sung many a time at Goose Bay in an inebraited state.

The ol' black rum's got a hold of me---sung many a time at Goose Bay in an inebraited state.

Living next door to Alice ----sung many a time at Mt Alice in an inebraited state.

Alice, Alice, who the F**k is Alice -----sung many a time at Byron Heights in an inebraited state.

Byron boys are on the p**s again -----sung many a time at Byron Heights in an inebraited state.

There seems to be a recurring theme here? and it's not singing!

Don't stop me now - Always reminds me of the trip from work to the Portacabins in the mystery machine at Tabuk 90-91. God knows why that was always played.
Hotel california in Akrotiri... every Friday night about 01.30, in the Aki Arms, meant it was time to either try and grab a taxi or do the walk!

Not strictly a det song, but Sloop John B reminds me of many,many afternoons/evenings in the rugby club at Bruggen. That place turned me from football to rugby, the social side was second to none, and it rescued me/gave me somewhere to go during a marriage breakdown.
The song just brings back very happy memories.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
"Leaving on a Jet Plane" - BFBS in Bahrain the day we were leaving on a jet plane back to Lossie post Gulf War '91.

"Camels Toe" - in the bar at Basra pre-dry days.