• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Decent areas of Bristol

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Goaters of Bristol and surrounding areas (Current and Past). I'm looking for advice on where best to settle.

My previous thread helped me decide to avoid the new build shenanigans and I'm happy with the analogy pertaining to having a house with potential in a good area vs the house which has all the bells and whistles in a crap one. Looking for no more than 30mins by car to Abbey Wood with decent amenities nearby. My son is at a critical time in his Secondary Education, especially considering this year of learning can be written down as unorthodox so a decent high school within walking distance is essential.

As always gents, thank you for your help. 👍

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
When I was at Ascent I stayed in Bradley Stoke.

All new / newish housing.
Massive Tesco.
Very close to the M4 & M5
Very close to Bristol Parkway station.
Abbey Wood within comfortable cycling distance.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
St Paul’s has a nice, and interesting night club, not sure about the schools

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bristol ain’t cheap on the whole...your budget is going to shape your destination quite a bit. One of my colleagues rents in Northville specifically as he is in Shabby Wood every day and says it’s fine.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I used to commute from West Swindon - 30 mins on a good day, Sometimes a lot longer when the damn Highway's Agency didn't use the matrix signs on the M4. Traffic can be horrendous around the whole of Abbey Wood area hence many did the start early, finish early scenario.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just a thought but finding somewhere to sit in ABW was always an issue but word on the street is that working from home will become the new normal...

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Just a thought but finding somewhere to sit in ABW was always an issue but word on the street is that working from home will become the new normal...

I can imagine, best I try and find somewhere with space I can use as an office rather than a repurposed 'dining room' in a cramped 1960's 3 bed SFA....

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

More than the word on the street, it was already becoming the new normal in some teams and the past couple of months have demonstrated that many jobs can be done from home with minimal office time - couple that with the need to spread people out for safety for the next 12 months at least and you can see which way the wind is blowing. Of course, that is somewhat subject to the team you are going to - both the leadership and the nature of the work will have an impact. It would be very sensible if home buying for a job there to factor in a fair amount of working from home, the ability to commute by rail or bus (car parking is dreadful) and whether or not your job may involve travelling elsewhere on a regular basis.