• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Death of the BBC

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
So I’ve not really watched live TV for a while and don’t really watch any BBC output, but have paid my TV Licence continuously forever.

However, after the way they have represented the news recently I’ve felt the need to cancel my Licence, which I’ve done today.

This is not a cost issue, it’s less than 0.1% of my monthly income, it’s a values thing.

Is the BBC in terminal decline?

Deltaitem

Corporal
They remain my go to news site. I'd say they're as impartial as you can get. I mean, they're a bit pro-establishment, and they do lick the royals' arse way too much for my liking, but other than that, it's a serious case of you'll miss it if it's gone.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've not used the BBC for years. The missus will watch one or two pieces of wank TV on it but I certainly won't use it as a news source, opting for open source media and Aljazeera instead.

Deltaitem

Corporal
They actually have some good coverage of a lot of stories, usually from a different perspective to uk outlets. It can be quite refreshing to watch from time to time.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
So I’ve not really watched live TV for a while and don’t really watch any BBC output, but have paid my TV Licence continuously forever.

However, after the way they have represented the news recently I’ve felt the need to cancel my Licence, which I’ve done today.

This is not a cost issue, it’s less than 0.1% of my monthly income, it’s a values thing.

Is the BBC in terminal decline?
the licence needs looked at for what they provide. We bought a Freesat box as the normal signal isn't great, works a treat. It would be a rare occasion that we would watch any BBC related programmes or watch the channels.

fourteen2two

Corporal
I would like to see the license fee binned and BBC going private or a pay streaming service. We rarely watch it now as there is so much choice. May well stop our paying license like many others.
They do make some good documentaries. I object to the likes of Gary Linneker getting a huge salary from license payers.
No interest in football anyway.:(

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The title of this thread resulted in me reflecting on what I watch on TV. I stream nothing and don’t have anything like amazon or netflix etc, I don’t use I-player or other catch-up gizmos. I pay a BBC licence fee and pay Virgin media monthly so the thought of paying a third bill to watch a series about the lives of David Beckham, Megan Markle or that bird with the fat @rse and her family no thank you. I watch factual stuff and sport mainly and that’s regardless of which channel is supporting it so if England football is on CH5 then that’s where I am, darts on ITV4, premier league on Sky sports and so on. I watch BBC for the news, regional news, natural history and other factual stuff. Also, documentary channels, history channels and the like and BBC Parliament to see just how much the powers that be are actually doing, I steer clear of any “reality TV shows” and anything starting with MTV no matter what channel. CH4 can’t remember the last time I watched that channel. I record stuff if I’m out or if it’s on at an anti-social time. The BBC licence becomes harder to justify every year with the vast choice of TV channels now out there, long gone are the days of just BBC1, BBC2 ITV and CH4 to chose from.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I still use the BBC - I think they do still do some good programmes both on TV & Radio. I tend to watch BBC2 on a Monday evening and often listen to Radio 4 when I'm driving and generally it's the BBC we go to for news. But I have largely given up on BBC Breakfast or music channels. My feeling is that they try to do too much to be all things to all men and seem to regard some of the 'talent' as sacrosanct and untouchable no matter what they do or how many people they offend. I do think they need to think long and hard about how much they are paying people, both 'talent' and behind the scenes, and whether it is really necessary to use so many people for coverage of some events.
For the moment they can continue to have the licence fee but shouldn't think it is an eternal spring of unlimited income.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If the racist, sexist, fascist, misogynist GB News is a sign as to how TV would be without the BBC, I'll happily pay my licence fee just to stop those vile people from dominating the airwaves.