• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Death of John Longstaff (Arm Eng) II(AC) Sqn

Roobsta

Corporal
Dear all

John had been battling with Leukaemia for about 9 months and the follwiong has been copied from the RAF Armourers website. For all who knew him, it will be a sad loss. I'm a fairy Sneck and have known John for 3 years and thought he was an all round bon oeuf. It's a rotten time of year to pass away, but please rest assured that the Sqn are doing all they can to ease the pain for his family.

Friends,

It with the sadest of hearts that I have to announce that John Longstaff passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of Sat 23 Dec 2006.

Please be assured that he was comfortable during his final hours and he fought to the end. At this point there is very little else I can add.

The funeral service for John will take place on Fri 5th Jan 07 at 14:00 in St George's Church, RAF Marham; followed by the burial in the Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery in Marham village. After the burial it is planned to hold a wake in the WO & Sgts'Mess.

Yvonne has asked that no flowers be sent and instead donations to Shouldham Ward at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn would be greatly appreciated. A collection will be made during the service and the proceeds will be forwarded to Shouldham Ward.

The policy line is Service personnel are to wear No1 Dress with medals; Officers, gloves and black arm bands, but I'm sure that the most important bit is that you get there if you can.

There is a limited amount of Service accommodation available, but the various mess' will not be open until the new year and I'm sure will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

Should you require further information please contact me at "tomthompson_uk@yahoo.co.uk" or from next Wednesday 3rd Jan 07 at work on 01760 337261 Ext 3512.

Finally, I hope to put a book together for Yvonne and the girls of Johns exploits both large and small. Any short stories that you wish to pen up and send along with any pictures you have would be gratefully received.

Please pass this information on to all, if anyone can put it onto e-goat I'd appreciate it. Hope to see a lot of you next Friday, in the mean time have a great New Year.

Tom Thompson.

D

Dhoby4u

My condolences to his family. A terrible thing to happen, especially at this tme of year.

Good luck to them all for the future.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Condolences

Condolences

My condolences to his family and friends.

It is painful to lose family or friends at any time of the year but at christmas and new year it especially painful.

E

Edzar

Our most sincere sympathy and condolences to John's family at this difficult time.
May he rest in peace

TrickyTree

Sergeant
This is the first time I've been on line since we all packed up for Christmas and this is the first thread I've read. I'm gutted. I didn't even know that he was ill.

I spent three and a half very happy years on Shiney Two's leckie desk between 1999 and 2003 and knew John very well. That's all I can say right now, those who also knew him will know how I feel.

I shall raise a glass to him and his family this evening, of that there is no doubt. Rest in peace, John. Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Last edited:

squipper

Corporal
RIP to a rugby playing friend and drinking buddy.
Old rugby players never die, they just go off side and keep rucking.

B

Bluntend

Sad news.

Sad news.

Condolences to John's family. I am sure that wherever he is now Saint Barbara will be keeping him safe.

G

gunner

I was saddened to hear of johns illness, I like the rest of you guys will miss him, but remember all the good things about him, an honest and very likeable guy who will be sorely missed by all.

M

Mad Bomber

Thank You - Yvonne Longstaff

Thank You - Yvonne Longstaff

Yvonne has asked that the following message be posted.

Jessica, Beth and I, would like to thank everyone who attended John’s funeral last Friday and the many who couldn’t get down but we know were thinking of us. Although an extremely sad day, I was glad to see so many of John’s friends and colleagues who had managed to get away from work to be with us and I know that he will be fondly remembered by so many of you.
Thank you all for all your support throughout last year and for your kind messages and thoughts.

Yvonne Longstaff.

C

cyder

John Longstaff

I knew John back in the 80's working at the ZOO (STC ASMSU) at Marham.

What a guy.. "Jonny Hot Dog's headlines" John's laugh a minute little news paper to raise a smile in the ZOO how we waited for it to roll off the press.

The man who brought song and laughter to our beer calls.

RIP John we are all better people having shared your time. Thanks.