• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day out in Rome

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Got a day in Rome this weekend, obviously doing the colosseum, any other not to miss places, not worried about museums but wouldn't want to not see any key places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Visit the Vatican and see the fountain full of the tears of all the children abused by members of the Catholic Clergy.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Paletine Hill, which is just opposite the Colosseum. You can get a combined ticket for both. If you take this suggestion up, then buy your ticket at Paletine (Colosseum queue is horrendous). Don't buy from the people on the streets selling tours - they are vastly inflated.

We spent 5 days in Rome a couple of summers ago and did pretty much all of the attractions - the two above were the best in our opinion. The Colosseum is an absolute must!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Sistine chapel, just to say you've been in there although for one day the queue will probably be too long, couple or three hours at least.

gray

Sergeant
Comfy walking shoes & water !

I usually start (or finish) at the Colosseum, then... Palantine, Forum, Trinity College Pub for lunch, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona... St Peters, then mooch around a few churches... if I have time. (Can be done in reverse)

Sistine Chapel, and Vatican Museum are good, but take up a lot of time, unless you are there before the queues.

So much to do, in so little time :)

Edit: I've done it a few times now, so don't hang about too long in each place. It might take longer the first time. (Nice cafes around the Pantheon).

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Trevi fountain is nice but it was absolutely rammed when I visited so hard to see just how ornate it really is. Watch out for the legions of "Roman legionnaires" who will happily take your dosh for a simple picture by the coliseum. Find a street corner café on a busy junction, preferably with traffic lights and just watch some of the craziest driving and motor bike antics you will ever see very entertaining whilst you take time to chill out.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Me and Mrs Ted did Rome a few years ago. Our hotel was near the Line A metro so we got a day ticket and hit the tourist spots in one arrow. Line A has stops near Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Del Populo and St Peter's/Vatican, Line B has stops near Circo Massimo and Coloseum. The day tickets were cheap and can also be used on the bus and tram. Next day we got the tourist bus which took us to see the same sights but was quadruple the price of the public transport day ticket. Of course, on the metro you don't get to see where you're going, on the other hand you don't get stuck in traffic jams.

Digzster

Sergeant
Pedestrian crossings are to Rome drivers what indicators are to Cypriots!

Remember that and you won't visit any hospitals..... enjoy.