• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day 1 of training

G

gtee87

Hi All just done day 1 of the fitness widget on raf site , done 1.5 miles cross country against high winds in just under 16 mins , done 18 press ups in 1 min and 24 sit-ups in 1 min.

Not enough to pass the test I know but I was pretty pleased as I do absolutely no exercise.

I know everybody is different but how long do you think with training I could reach the level of the test requirements ?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Gary.

Everyone is different in regarding to how quickly they progress. Just keeping working hard and and maintain a healthy diet as well. Follow the instructions on the website and you'll get their eventually.

If you don't progress as you wish maybe consider joining a gym and getting some professional advice. 16 mins for a mile and a half is very slow so you have a long way to go. Good luck all the same.

G

gtee87

Woo hoo , done a 1.5 mile run in 10:32 , not perfect but the requirements are 11:11 for my age group ,

the difference with this run than the first run is that it wasn't cross country it was on pavements/roads still up and down hill though.

just thought I would let you know , thanks for help I will keep trying

Well done, you'll be even quicker in a gym on a running machine. You might like to start running further to boost your stamina. Run at a steady pace for 20 mins, then start increasing to 25 mins then 30 mins etc. I found by doing this by the time it came to prtc the bleep test was no problem.

G

gtee87

thanks mate I will be doing that all this week , my brother is in the royal engineers he said I should be doing situps and pressups every day , is this right?

G

gtee87

sorry to keep spamming on this forum but I just want to give my self the best chance of making the grade for the raf,

now I ran today for 30 mins ( 15 mins in 1 direction , stop for 1 min rest , then 15 mins back in the direction I came from) I ended up doing 3.6 Miles according to google earth.

thing is my thighs are not killing me but they are a bit sore ( they have been feeling tender all day after my 1.5 mile run yesterday )

question is should I continue to run everyday , I know that I should take rest days but frankly I don't want to I don't feel as If I have enough time as I must contact the afco office within 13 days or my application gets revoked.

second question silvestermk2 is that I am going to do what you said and increase the time I am running so tomorrow I am going to run 17.5 mins in one direction and 17.5 back again , now my question is should I increase every time I run or should I pause on 15 mins for maybe 2 runs then on the 3rd run increase the time ?

thanks again mate sorry about the story above but I am just kind of nervous about everything.

cheers again

Don't run every day, you need to have rest days - at least 2 a week to allow your body to recover. Over-training your body will only lead to injury.

I don't know how long the recruitment process is going to take for you but it will have been about 6 months from initial application to start of basic training for me so you have plenty of time to improve your fitness.

If you are really concerned about your fitness or training then I suggest joining a local gym for some professional advice or follow the training program on the raf recruitment website.

Finally don't forget to work on your press ups and sit ups as well.