• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

D-Day 80. How are you commemorating?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The D-Day veterans are getting fewer and as we pass the 80th anniversary of this momentus event, it's incredible to see such good press coverage and local events to commemorate those who took part in what is arguably one of the most powerful warfare event in human history.

At the same time, it saddens me to know that there's folk out there who have never learned about it, nor think it has any relevance to them.

What's going on in your area?

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I'm laying a wreath in Thornaby then off to a beacon lighting this evening in Stockton On Tees. Sunday we have a boat ride organised for WW II veterans and us Cold War warriors.

fourteen2two

Corporal
We are in France with our caravan. Came over yesterday but we will go to Normandy and visit the memorial at Vers sur Mer before we come home. We have been to the beaches a few times always interesting. Very moving going to the cemeteries at Bayeux and Omaha.
We owe the veterans and those who gave their lives so much. Thank you.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was very fortunate to attend a D-Day formal dinner last weekend and one of the speakers was a former Military Padre.

I've heard some good speakers at functions but this guy was incredible. I think he managed to pierce the hearts of everyone in the room with his powerful command of the audience, even choking the emotions of the Commandant of a large NATO base who really had to hold back tears and compose himself before he could make his follow up speech.

In another twenty years though, D-Day will be just another footnote in our history.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Was in Lincoln earlier and thought all the coppers might have been for an ‘important’ politician, but those special stickers weren’t on the manhole covers and then some RAF Police came by so thought it might have been for a march though town instead.

Couldn’t hang around so didn’t see what happened.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nothing formal at TB Towers just a bit of quiet time to gather thoughts and memories of TB seniors brother my Uncle who went up the beaches on the day and made it home in one piece at wars end.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Went to the local council's event at a nearby park and also published to my wider family a summary of my uncle's life and RM career up to and including being coxswain of one of the first landing craft to hit Sword Beach that morning . I shall be telling them the rest of his story in due course.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
News headlines on the radio today regarding Sunak leaving the D Day events to return to the UK to take part in an election interview. No end of criticism from Labour and Lib Dem and SNP for his actions, some calling it a ‘dereliction of duty’
Which is exactly why I’ll be putting my own box at the bottom and voting for the Bath Taps in Power party next Month. Those slagging Sunak off don’t in my opinion really give a toss about his returning to the UK and just see it as another opportunity to slag him off instead of working as a credible opposition. If Starmer was in power and did the same, the Tories would be doing the slagging off….and that is the state of British politics today with each party trying to score points in the media whilst ignoring their own hypocrisy rather than doing the job they are paid for.