• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cpl Maheshkumar "Mick" Islania

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Saw this on social media and thought it deserved to be shared on here. I remember his obituary being on display in the commcen at JHQ. Was sent to Air Cmd when we closed it, anyone know if it is displayed anywhere? Perhaps someone can perhaps shed some light but the story I used to hear was that members of the SF found them and passed on their displeasure, any truth to this?

On this day we remember Corporal Maheshkumar "Mick" Islania, aged 34, and his 6 month old daughter, Nivruti Mahesh, shot dead by 2 waiting IRA gunmen in 1989.

The incident occurred in Wildenrath, West Germany, 10 miles west of Monchengladbach, near the border with Holland.
Smita Islania, the child’s mother, was driving the car in which the victims were shot, but escaped uninjured. The family had stopped their British registered Volkswagen Jetta at a petrol station, when the gunmen fired 11 rounds into the passenger side of the car, which then veered out of control into a garden. The gunmen then fired through the back window of the car, before escaping in a Ford camper van driven by a third man.
Cpl Islania and his daughter were killed instantly.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

IMG_0815.JPG

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Mick was a very good friend of my old man and he was devistated when this happened.

RIP Mick & Nivruti

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The story that was told at Gutersloh when we did the training for gate guards was the gunman who shot the baby actually walked up to the car and fired the bullet.

I'll never forget the coffin of the baby being carried off the aircraft by a lone airman.

RIP

Molar Mob

KOS
What a poignant picture. I remember the reporting of the incident well as me and my family were at JHQ at the time. I believe they stopped for a schnelli and were attacked as they returned to the car. 27 years seems such a short time, my thoughts are still with them and the regiment guys murdered in Roemond. RIP.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
I was born at Wegberg in '89. My dad was one of the batmen for RAF G AOC from 87 -91. He remembers the day clearly, informing the AOC of a red phone call, the aftermath with RAFP/SIB/Other units. After a 39 year career he still says it was the worst time of his entire career.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
I remember that night very well. I use to live at the back end of the MQ's and clearly heard the gunfire, though initial thoughts, from my parents and me, was that it was fireworks being set off.

Was even worse, days later, travelling to school, and going past the garage. And also how many times we had all filled the car up at the very same spot.

Last edited:

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I too was at JHQ. The one thing I remember above all else was the the sadness felt by all and a very subdued atmosphere.
RIP.

fatalbert

SAC
PIRA terrorist Desmond Grew was shot and killed by UK SF in County Armagh on 9th October 1990. He was suspected of the murder of Mick Islania and baby Nivruti.

E Flammis

LAC
I was stationed at Wildenrath at the time Mick was killed. Not a dry eye when the small coffin was taken to the aircraft. I was posted to Northolt where a memorial to Mick and Nivruti was erected. The family gathered every year to show their respects. On my way to work I always stopped to salute the memorial.