• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CPI Crash and Pension link

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Latest UK CPI rate for August 2020 (released today, 16 September), gives a significant drop to 0.2%, from the July figure of 1.0%.
Worth keeping an eye on the September figure (released in October), as this is the figure which is [currently] used for the following year's Pension increase.
Here's hoping there's something in the pot for 'us oldies' next year, - although I fear it could be worse to come...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Blaming it on the eat out deals, quite a few places have kept their deals going so could be interesting

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Blaming it on the eat out deals, quite a few places have kept their deals going so could be interesting
How did that affect the prices, it's a consumer PRICE index. I don't believe the prices changed, only that the government was picking up half the tab (up to a tenner). Manipulation of statistics at it's finest there.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you trust the BBC here’s a link

Eat Out to Help Out drives UK inflation to five-year low https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54173658

The fall to 0.2% is overwhelmingly the result of the impact of Eat Out to Help Out and the temporary VAT cut for the hospitality sector.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Being a crusty old Vet, in receipt of the pension, the subject does interest me. Being a Yorkshireman to boot helps too. Ever since the Govt swapped the Pension from RPI to CPI, we have been on the lower rate, and there was mention at one stage of the revised CPI(H) rate being used. Currently, that may have aided us this year. Either Oct 2020 figure for September will buck the trend and see an increase, or stagnate, or worse, reduce further. Bah humbug (or is that too early...?)

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
It is a little bonkers I find myself wanting prices to shoot up so whenever I get to the point that the rises are added I feel better off, ignoring the fact that by wishing for higher prices only mean what I get now is worth less ha ha.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Released today, 21 October, - September CPI Rate at 0.5%.
Better than last month's rate, but possibly low over the coming months.
0.5% SHOULD be the increase rate for April 2021; but, in this climate, let's wait and see...

GOV1

LAC
Without sounding like “pissing on your chips”, according to the official ONS site it’s 0.7%.
The BBC are stating 0.5%

I am sure Vauxhall will piss on my chips if I’m wrong.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Without sounding like “pissing on your chips”, according to the official ONS site it’s 0.7%.
The BBC are stating 0.5%

I hope you're right, I'm happy to be corrected if I interpreted it wrong.
As the saying goes, "every little helps..."

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Whether it's 0.7 or 0.5 its a rise and a welcome addition to my monthly bank account income.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
The BBC are stating 0.5%

The BBC are stating 0.5%

Sorry, I'm going to disappoint. The CPI rate is 0.5%. It is the CPIH rate which is 0.7%. It is the CPI rate which will apply to pension increases.

GOV1

LAC
Thanks Vauxhall, my chips are well and truly pissed on!

Seriously though, thanks for all your advice now, in the past and in the future.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thanks Vauxhall, my chips are well and truly pissed on!

Seriously though, thanks for all your advice now, in the past and in the future.
I did read the CPI(H) being at 0.7, but that's the (relatively new) CPI(Home) value which is an additional one to both CPI and RPI. We used to use RPI, but that was changed to CPI, - and there was even talk at one stage of using CPI(H) for our pension link, rather than CPI; - that of course was when CPI(H), was lower than CPI...
Clear as mud.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Governments preferred measure for payments is always the lowest.

Just as its preferred measure for increases tends to be the highest.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
So both 0.5 and 1.1 go on my tracker. Another big difference between what I'll get since the RPI/CPI change. Although I'd put 2 in as part of my random predictions. Not bitter.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
So, 0.6% then, not as good as recent years, but not as bad as 2015 - could have been worse and every bit helps us older folks to maintain a reasonable lifestyle.
Please be aware that your quoted figure of 0.6% relates to the rate of inflation, - and NOT the CPI value of 0.5% given earlier, which is the September 2020 figure used for the 2021 variance in April onwards.