• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Council Tax rebate on Ops - help!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Having recently returned from Ops i have been informed i can claim for a council tax rebate. However, i have been given so much conflicting gen i was hoping someone could clarify this for me. My position:

a. Own home.

b. Det dates 15 Oct 11 - 1 May 12.

c. I paid, £137 per month, Oct 11 - Feb 12 (Council Tax dates 1 Apr - 31 Mar 12 total - £1372.87) and £138 per month Apr 12 - May 12 (Council Tax dates 1 Apr 12 - 31 Mar 13 total £1380.44).

The confusion arises when some people are stating:

a. It is a set rate ie you only get back the same tax as what a MQ pays.

b. I need to contact my Council Tax office to arrange the refund (i did this and they directed me to my own PSF/HR)

c. There was a rate change from 25% to 50% refund from Apr 12.

Can anyone advise me on what i can expect to be refunded and the best way to go about this?! (i do have both Council Tax bills i can take in to PSF).

Thanks and i hope that was clear!

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Take both bills to PSF they submit the p/w and you get your rebate of 25%/50% in relation to time away
No need to get the council involved apart from having proof of your bills

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
IIRC (on leave today so can't check the JSP for you) the rebate is a set rate per day based on the average council tax bill. It doesn't relate directly to what you are paying your council.

Happy to be corrected as I don't have the opportunity to check the JSP.

Oh, and for the pedant community, it doesn't state if the 'average' is mean, mode, or median.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
It is a daily rate. According to the IBN: The CTR scheme is administered through a daily rate; this was previously £1.64 a day and from 1 Apr 12 this will increase to £3.29 a day. This is regardless of what YOU actually pay. It is an allowance provided by HR/PSF and not by your council. In order to claim you can prepare a written statement saying you will not be receiving remuneration from any other source for the period of deployment. Hand that in together with a copy of your council tax bill and there should be no dramas. You DO NOT need a statement or letter from your council despite what your clerk may tell you.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Can i back claim? tried to get a rebate for my OOA 2010 and was such a ballache I gave up.
I didnt claim for my tour Sep 10 to Jan 11 until around June or July. So should be OK. Incidentally there are a number of publications available detailing this subject. JSP754, IBN 12/12, IBN 08/11

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Ah! That is good gen, i was told varying different things, ie it is 25%/50% of what you actually pay, then i was told it was a set rate.

Now i have it in my head what should happen, i am fore warned before i venture into PSF.

Many thanks.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Be prepared however, the JSP is under review/amendment and so the method of claim may have changed by the time you are back but as of today the info Ive provided is correct.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Thread Update

Thread Update

Just to update this thread, I've just submitted my claim through to Deployed Ops Clerk, and it was as simple as writing a letter stating:-

1. Where I was deployed.

2. The dates.

3. The address I was claiming for.

4. That I hadn't recieved any reduction on rates from the local authority.

5. Signed (ie, not an email)

Hope this helps.