• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cosford...A different perspective.

L

LukeT

propersplitbrainme
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeT
Over the years I noticed as the aircraft became easier to work on, the standard turned out by Cosford fell.
Which is exactly what your seniors thought when your generation arrived!

And what's more, they were right.

A happy airman is a moaning airman.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
propersplitbrainme
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeT
Over the years I noticed as the aircraft became easier to work on, the standard turned out by Cosford fell.
Which is exactly what your seniors thought when your generation arrived!

And what's more, they were right.

A happy airman is a moaning airman.
Just think if you were still in you would be retiring in a couple of weeks:pDT_Xtremez_30:

jamier

LAC
Cosford...Tossford? Woteva where do i start?

As an AMM not long out of that dreadful place ill give my honest opinion.

Majority of instructors are sound and will (if your willing to learn) help you infact theyll even help the ****s who are only here for a paypacket and not really interested in the job to learn. You come across one of two instructors at Cosford....the ones who know what its like to be on an active squadron and will treat you like a human then you get the ones who think they are all knowing, treat you like a child and every thing you say starts with yes/no corporal (or equivelant rank sgt etc) or ends with yes/no corporal (or equivelant rank sgt etc) where after having time on a "REAL" squadron myself have realised they were in my opinion cocks.

The training is good, quite thorough and precise down to the point. When i went through Cosford we had been reduced from 5 day pulses to 3 day pulses an pushing on from that only got 3 days instead of 5 to do all the theory behind how a jet engine works to dropping it, doing intake inspections, doing engine inspections and mag plug changes and then refitting the engine into a JAG. I think we would have been better off with also doing an oil replen on the engine as the JP is alot different for oil replen to a GR4.

Another real gripe of mine is the seeoff procedures and servicing tasks....i really wish we could have 3-4 men per seeoff and a man a,b,c,d and nco for the servicing. When we do line training they try to get us out of the Cosford mentality of "oh i cant do that as ive not been told i can" and just get on with servicing the jet i.e walking along the wings to the end to inspect them, walking along to the fin of the jet to inspect it!

Anyway thats my rant over,

Jamie

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Another real gripe of mine is the seeoff procedures and servicing tasks....i really wish we could have 3-4 men per seeoff and a man a,b,c,d and nco for the servicing. When we do line training they try to get us out of the Cosford mentality of "oh i cant do that as ive not been told i can" and just get on with servicing the jet i.e walking along the wings to the end to inspect them, walking along to the fin of the jet to inspect it!
And? Training is a different enviroment to the "real Air Force world". Have 4 men doing a servicing? Get a grip! That may work for the yanks, but not for us.
I've never been on a Tonka Sqn, but on a Jag sqn, you were very lucky to have someone do tops for you, the majority of the time you did every servicing on your own and there was just one NCO, the Line Walker, to cover the entire sqn while you did your servicing.
3 or 4 men per see-off, why?
Just do what you're told, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. There are reasons why we do things like they do.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
The good think about the AMM scheme is they get to know what it is to be a real liney working on real aircraft in the real airforce before they become too indoctrinated by text book theory.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
When i went through Cosford we had been reduced from 5 day pulses to 3 day pulses an pushing on from that only got 3 days instead of 5 to do all the theory behind how a jet engine works to dropping it, doing intake inspections, doing engine inspections and mag plug changes and then refitting the engine into a JAG.

Just to make sure I'm reading it right you did all that in three days?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Just to make sure I'm reading it right you did all that in three days?

He just thinks he's done all the theory behind how a jet engine works Duffman! They get a 'How Stuff Works' overview of it. And the engine is all disconnected before they start, they just help drop it and refit it without reconnecting it.