• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Core Meal Price Increase

So, almost two weeks after the 17% price hike and the promise of better scran. Anyone tried the 'invigorated' menu and care to tell us how much it's improved?

I remember when the PAYD roadshows first started coming round camps, and the whispers from the Old Sweats of "Be careful what you wish for!". Oh how they were right! Bet a fair few people wouldn't care about paying for their weekend meals without eating them now.

Sodexo - New Improved Menus

Daily Mail - Soldiers Boycott Army Messes...

Mag2grid

Corporal
So, almost two weeks after the 17% price hike and the promise of better scran. Anyone tried the 'invigorated' menu and care to tell us how much it's improved?

I remember when the PAYD roadshows first started coming round camps, and the whispers from the Old Sweats of "Be careful what you wish for!". Oh how they were right! Bet a fair few people wouldn't care about paying for their weekend meals without eating them now.

Sodexo - New Improved Menus

Daily Mail - Soldiers Boycott Army Messes...

Food in the JRM at a sleepy SH base in Oxford has always been some of the best I have had even before the price increase, can't say the same for the combined messing in SNECS/Officers Mess.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Same menu, just the price hike!

Drinks in jugs on the table about the only noticeable change tbh.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
God knows it needed the 20% hike. The quality of the food must be bloody awful

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So has this worked then? Those that stole beans wanted this so badly and now a few years into it are people wanting it reversed?

This strikes me as one of the things that could be reverted back once contracts have timed out or paid off. Good food is one of the staples of what an armed force 'marches' on and in the big picture doesn't cost that much when you consider the cost of a single smart weapon being dropped.

Last edited:

Mag2grid

Corporal
So has this worked then? Those that stole beans wanted this so badly and now a few years into it are people wanting it reversed?

This strikes me as one of the things that could be reverted back once contracts have timed out or paid off. Good food is one of the staples of what an armed force 'marches' on and in the big picture doesn't cost that much when you consider the cost of a single smart weapon being dropped.

dont know how easy it would be. Remember the mess is only a single part of the CRL programme, no doubt there are various fines.

also need to rip out the infrastructure they have installed, Costa ungraded Spa shops etc.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's being extended and regionalised, with the regions being run by a single contracting bidder. It's not a terrible thing and when the people get it into their head that the days of cheap food are gone and are ready for pay for more than grissle and cabbage, it will even be an excellent option

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Stevie, don't forget we all used to pay a pittance for good quality scran, now you're paying Whetherspoon prices for Little Chef grub.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes indeedy, and the crown always paid for people who were not there - hence the high quality.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Yes indeedy, and the crown always paid for people who were not there - hence the high quality.
Apart from bean stealers the Crown paid for no one.

Most people understood that not eating at weekends meant better food during the week, a fair price to pay and a lot less than what Pay as Dine has become.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk