• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Contacted my local AFCO today...

B

BigDan

I contacted my local AFCO today with a few questions about my chosen trade (WSOp).

After a few routine questions I was informed that they will not let me join the RAF as Aircrew because I have Hayfever. Apparently they 'can not ship me off to Afghanistan with a years supply of Piriteze'.

Is this a legitimate medical reason why I cannot join as a WSOp?

I was immediatley told i could however still apply and see what happens. So can I go for it or not?

Also the gentleman asked if I persued any team activities outside of work. My only response was 'I play for a local football team'. I was then informed that my competition for my chosen trade included a guy who has a Degree, has captained his rugby team for 6 years, helps out at a local disabled charity and also does long distance bike rides to raise money for other charities.

I CAN compete with this type of person by raising money and by partaking in volunteer work, however I cannot just obtain a Degree!

Am I in a dream world and in reality I have no chance of getting past the interview? Or should i go and visit my local charities and help out every weekend and plan a John O'Groats to Lands End Event to prove i can integrate with the community and be a real selfless team player?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

BigDan

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just my opinion.......but your hayfever will kill your chances. Dont take my word for it, go for the applicaton but prepare for the bad news and have some alternatives in mind.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Pish

Pish

.....Also the gentleman asked if I persued any team activities outside of work. My only response was 'I play for a local football team'. I was then informed that my competition for my chosen trade included a guy who has a Degree, has captained his rugby team for 6 years, helps out at a local disabled charity and also does long distance bike rides to raise money for other charities.

I CAN compete with this type of person by raising money and by partaking in volunteer work, however I cannot just obtain a Degree!

Am I in a dream world and in reality I have no chance of getting past the interview? Or should i go and visit my local charities and help out every weekend and plan a John O'Groats to Lands End Event to prove i can integrate with the community and be a real selfless team player?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

BigDan

Big Dan as others have said your hay fever will probably kybosh your application for aircrew, you could apply but the medical forms you fill in will stop your application, if you lie and get in then you get kicked out.

With regards the type of person you need to be, you don't need a degree to WSOp or similar just 5 x GCSEs and whilst it is nice for you to do extra curricular activities raising thousands of pounds is probably at the top of the spectrum, filling your spare time with extras will help, even its just volunteering in your local area. Just see it as a chance to display your own capabilities if you cannot in other ways.

There are other jobs that you might be able to apply for, SNCO ATC or Regt Officer might be worth a luck if you are looking for a challenge and responsibility from the off.

Either way good luck.

Last edited:
K

Kilo Tango

Also the gentleman asked if I persued any team activities outside of work. My only response was 'I play for a local football team'. I was then informed that my competition for my chosen trade included a guy who has a Degree, has captained his rugby team for 6 years, helps out at a local disabled charity and also does long distance bike rides to raise money for other charities.

With the greatest of respect you sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about this. The bloke at the AFCO was probably testing you and waiting for you step up and mention areas of responsibility in your life or think of a way to make your experiences relevant.

Admittedly I didn't go to OASC but one of the Cpls at the AFCO I am going through told us in our initial presentation areas of responsibility could be being an older sibling and caring for younger ones, in my interview I used the example of moving out on my own at a young age. Have you been treasurer or captain or your football team? If so what did it involve and what did you learn?

Again with all the respect in the world the last bit of your post is a bit facetious. The question you should be asking yourself if 'do I want to be in the RAF and put the graft in'? It doesn't mean doing all those superhuman things you listed but taking a bit of responsibility and seeing your shortcomings and making an effort to address them. Your interviewer will be impressed if you mention you thought you should do more and went out and volunteered or something. Just think of ways to demonstrate the qualities you think a WSOp needs and don't sweat too much about what the 'other' guy is doing - he sounds like a ****** anyway!!! :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh, but the recruitment process is long and at times infuriating and you are going to need to keep your chin up and do what you are advised to do, the folks at the AFCO know what they are doing.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am with KT (who, if not a chick ought to change the monaker).

Have a good think about what you want to be and do that sort of stuff because it means something to you (or because it may do), not because it opens doors that you need opened..............I think those days are gone.

Even if you miss your shot, no bad will ever come of it.

Look at it like this. This forum is full of people asking what they need to do to pass the fitness test, which is in effect a piece of dog doos for fit joe average, or indeed what they need to prepare for basic training, IOSC, IOT etc, when all they really need to do is buckle down to train just a bit, and feel good about themselves.

In this business, you are required to bull a lot of shoes, but Its always better if its a natural polish shine built up layer by layer over time, cos the painted laquer soon wears off.......and you can always tell.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
The hayfever will 100% stop you from getting any further than applying for becoming aircrew at all. You will not even make it to Cranwell as the med board will not allow you to carry on with your application. You have to be 4 years clear of this before they will even consider you to be medically fit for the job.

B

BigDan

Thanks to everybody for replying.

I now know that regardless of the latter part of my post I will never be able to join as Aircrew because of my Hayfever.

When I first contacted my AFCO I thought my main issue would be a height restriction (I'm 6ft 5). However I feel i've been led to believe that there is no point in me applying because the competition is so great. I specifically chose a trade for me that I thought would be challenging, rewarding and something I could be genuinely proud of achieving. I can't see another trade within the RAF that genuinely interests me.

On that note, thanks to everybody for their valuable input... if a Hayfever cure is found I will be straight down to my AFCO to put my application in.

BigDan

unruly1986

Sergeant
BigDan... Couple of questions - how severe is the hayfever, and have you ever been prescribed antihisthamines for it?

Do not withold information from the AFCO, if you are found out you will be kicked out.

As for extra-curricular/charity events, now is the time to pull your finger out and be proactive.

Look up half marathons, charity runs etc. These will not only be good prep fitness-wise, but will also demonstrate that you have a community spirit, commitment to a training programme, and are willing to better yourself and help others.

How about the Paras Ten run, up at Catterick garrison this September, in aid of H4H? Plenty of time to train and raise charity money.

Get down your local ATC squadron and ask if they need any adult instructors (they probably will). This will not only be a `tick in the box`, it will give you an insight to RAF trades, stations, service knowledge etc, that will help at OASC.

WSOp recruiting is tight at the moment, so don't rush into an application if you don't feel ready. Use the time you have to better yourself. If down the line you don't get into the RAF, then at least you have bettered yourself as a person.

One other thing, although WSOp is a great job, there are other rewarding careers in the RAF. Plenty of sports, social, decent training and travel if you want it - not a bad life!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dribble

Does hayfever stop you from doing other jobs in the RAF? if so have you had a look at something else you might be interested in. I know how you feel because i lost out on my first choice job due to medical issues, however in my opinion it all comes down to whether you just really wanted to do that job, or you really wanted to join the RAF in a useful role. If it is the latter then im sure you'll find a job which will intrest you that you could go for?