• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Considering the Navy.....

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
... is supposed to be full of rounded belly bearded batty boys I have just been to use their Gym at RNAS Culdrose and it is far better than any of the gyms that I have used in the RAF (with the exception of MPA but that's tri-service so doesn't count) They seem to have alot going on. Lots and lots of posters for expeds and courses that you can do. Lots of CV machines as well of lots of weight machines and free weights and to top it off a bloody decent swimming pool right there as well as in one center.

Home of the Puma was a tiny little gym and defo no swimming pool. Mind you 'sports' in the days when I was at Benson was Hockey tour in Afcent! (Ah good times and if anyone has ever been you will know that you don't generally end up playing hockey!) Home of TSW's gym was an OK size and it did have a sauna but again nothing else to write home about and Typhoonland's gym is laughable really. All spread out over camp. The sports hall in one place, the rec's center above the JRM so it's it ridiculously hot up there all the time and the last thing it makes you want to do is run any faster. The free weights bay is a completely separate issue and you have to be a separate pass holder (on top if your normal gym card) to get into there and 9/10 you have to go and get the keys from the MGR before you can even start... and if you want to use a swimming pool then it's over to the Sleaford Tech you go.

I am very surprised at how much better the gym here is and not only that how much better the equipment they have in it is. There was also quite a few mirror techs around to show you anything you needed. I must say... very impressed!

shettie

Flight Sergeant
RAF Gyms have improved vastly since "my day" The computer controlled/audited machines you have now are 100% more than we did - I think the gym at Leuchars had a medicine ball and a volleyball net!

The Navy PTIs are utter UTTER baskets though - NEVER get involved in one of their beasting sessions - you will not fail to see your last meal again!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Do you think it may be because the RAF has been paying lip service to it's own fitness programme for years?

Sorry, I'll get me coat, Commissioned Officers in the RAF only have the welfare of those they command and lead at heart, don't they?

Last edited:

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Aldergrove's was an old A/C hanger decked out with everything you could imagine. Bigger than the one in MPA. Best keep secret in the Air force for years.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
RAF Bird;449389Home of the Puma was a tiny little gym and defo no swimming pool. Mind you 'sports' in the days when I was at Benson was Hockey tour in Afcent! (Ah good times and if anyone has ever been you will know that you don't generally end up playing hockey!) [/QUOTE said:
Used to be an outdoor (covered) pool behind the old WRAF block, until the health & safety stepped in after the grant/subsidy meant that the pool could not properly be maintained. It eventally got demolished/filled in.

As for Afcent, I must have got it wrong, all these years I've been going. I played and partied (just a little bit!):pDT_Xtremez_30:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Used to be an outdoor (covered) pool behind the old WRAF block, until the health & safety stepped in after the grant/subsidy meant that the pool could not properly be maintained. It eventally got demolished/filled in.

As for Afcent, I must have got it wrong, all these years I've been going. I played and partied (just a little bit!):pDT_Xtremez_30:

I went once... the best bank holiday weekend I've ever had in the RAF. 1999 drove out there with RAF Odiham, spent the weekend absolutely wrecked drinking Grolsh... we did play a few games of hockey but most of the time it was the drinking game were you spun your head round on the hockey stick 3 times then had to run to the other end!... So drunk! Halton played a blinder that year. Every time the females were playing and the scored.... the men streaked the pitch... apparently! :pDT_Xtremez_42: and of course visa versa.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
.There was also quite a few mirror techs around to show you anything you needed. I must say... very impressed!

Impressed with the gym facilities or the mirror techs ? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Crack on.......................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I think the RAF mirror techs would give a left one to have great facilities, but broadband in rooms and social facilities tend to make the CO more popular on his spending of his budget that fitty stuff.

I'm on a base with close to 30,000 personnel and the facilities are good but a bit cramped, so I have joined a local gym at my own cost, which everyone has a choice to do if they are that fussed.

I do remember skinny dipping in the Culdrose pool after a cross country run. Should have showered first.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Glad to see the the matelots have lots of time to do expeds and such like.....

Maybe that shows, how UNDER worked they actually are eh?

Being down here at RAF Culdrose myself, I agree it is the best gym I've seen in my time.

The Navy system however, does differ from ours, and goes some way towards explaining why:

Navy personnel are expected to spend a long time afloat in dinghies and suchlike, where there are little or no PT facilities. Culdrose is where they return, battered and bruised, for some "shore time" Therefore the facilities are here for them.

They're still all b***mers though.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
The weight training must help them, they can keep their arms up longer when surrendering to the Iranian Navy! :pDT_Xtremez_28: