• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Considering Re-Trade to SCNO ATC...

MattBombHead

Sergeant
At the risk of getting my head ripped off, i'm currently considering responding to the trawl for people to re-trade to SNCO ATC.

So, my question is, as a JNCO, with 14 years service under my belt, will I have to complete NCA ITC at Cranditz?

Also, what's the score with the rest of the Training? Is Shawbury a difficult course?

Any other advice would be of a great help...

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
At the risk of getting my head ripped off, i'm currently considering responding to the trawl for people to re-trdae to SNCO ATC.

So, my question is, as a JNCO, with 14 years service under my belt, will I have to complete NCA ITC at Cranditz? Yes

Also, what's the score with the rest of the Training? Is Shawbury a difficult course? Yes, just a bit

If you ring CATCS, you can get the gen straight from them and maybe even blag a visit to go and see whats in store....

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
At the risk of getting my head ripped off, i'm currently considering responding to the trawl for people to re-trdae to SNCO ATC.

So, my question is, as a JNCO, with 14 years service under my belt, will I have to complete NCA ITC at Cranditz? Matt, all entries into DE ATC below the rank of Sgt have to complete the NCAITC

Also, what's the score with the rest of the Training? Is Shawbury a difficult course? You'll complete the JATCC course at Shawbury. As to whether it is a difficult course, that is a question a TG9 bod can answer, having never done it myself! You will be promoted to A/Sgt (Upd) for the duration of your course.

Check your PM's mate.

Last edited:
M

medic1

Ask to vist as you will find it is not all in the tower watching planes comming down, It can get very hectic when you have 12 planes comming down and 2 of them running low on fuel.

But it is a good job it has it slow moments but every job does.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
If you are thinking this is a way to get your third stripe, I would strongly advise you think about applying yourself to your current trade and put your efforts into getting promotion in the traditional manner.

However, if you are interested in Air Traffic Control you should be aware that ATC is undergoing a major restructuring at the moment.

You will have to complete the proscribed course at Cranwell which is a very physically challenging course.

JATCC is also very challenging, but it is only the start.
Once you are successful you will have to fully endorse at your new unit within 18 months.
If you don't achieve this, you are out.
Once you have fully endorsed, you will be subject to 6 monthly standard checks, a professional knowledge examination every 3 years and examination by the Trappers on a regular basis.
After your first tour, you will also be expected to endorse at your new unit within 3 months, or again, you are out.

Another thing to consider is, that even after all your training and examination, none of your tickets are worth anything in civvy strasse. In order for you to transfer over you would still have to complete their training from scratch.

This is very far from being some sort of easy option to getting your third up, however, if you are interested in controlling you really need to get yourself over to your local tower and having a chat with some of the boys and girls already doing the job.
Any tower will be happy to have you across and answer any questions you may have, bring biscuits.

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Thanks for the helpful (and sometimes cynical :pDT_Xtremez_42:) advice so far.

I'm already in touch with Cranwell Recruiting, and I have already started making enquiries with regards to a Tower/ ATC visit at a local unit (my current Station doesn't have an ATC Section).

orgASMic

LAC
As has been said above, JATCC is not any easy route to getting your third up. You will not pass if this is your intention.

You say you have 14 years service in already. Be aware that, statistically, your chances of passing JATCC reduce dramatically as you get older (old dog, new tricks, etc). The age limit for ATC is now 36 (according to the careers site), but I seem to remember that FOA(ATC)s had to be on JATCC by age 30, which was judged to be a reasonable cut-off based on the historical data of who passed and who did not.

If you are going to do it, get researching, get some visits sorted and cross over soonest.

Best of luck.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Re Trade!

I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog :pDT_Xtremez_42:

You are dead to me :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Only joking, best of luck, at least you'll get more chance of a job when we are all sacked/army/navy/combined force europe.