• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commissioning from the ranks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jlong951

Are there regular opportunities to gain a commission as an officer, after joining initially as an airman? Reason being, I really would like to join as an airmen and get some experience behind me, and obviously depending on how things go apply for a commission in the future. I have 5 GCSE's and 2 A-Levels anyway but understand only the GCSE's are required for this. Cheers

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Are there regular opportunities to gain a commission as an officer, after joining initially as an airman? Reason being, I really would like to join as an airmen and get some experience behind me, and obviously depending on how things go apply for a commission in the future. I have 5 GCSE's and 2 A-Levels anyway but understand only the GCSE's are required for this. Cheers

You can apply from the ranks at any time

F

Flaps100

I don't understand your reasoning. You will find it a lot harder to Commission from the ranks. Why not try now? If you are applying for Pilot then you have nothing to lose. If you are not accepted for Pilot you could be considered for NCA as a WSOP. If you feel you still want a Commission then you can still have a go, but during this period you will be earning considerably more and you will be a Sergeant.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I agree with Flaps, albeit for different reasons. If you are educationally qualified and have ambitions to be commissioned then you should try for it now. If you are knocked back by OASC you will still have the option to join as an airman and apply for a commission at almost any time in the future.

G

gemarriott

I agree with Flaps, albeit for different reasons. If you are educationally qualified and have ambitions to be commissioned then you should try for it now. If you are knocked back by OASC you will still have the option to join as an airman and apply for a commission at almost any time in the future.

You say that as if Commissioned service is some sort of holy grail to be chased at every opportunty. What is wrong with doing some work before sitting back and taking it easy in the officers assylum?

J

jlong951

Well I am under the impression that to get into the RAF as an intelligence officer without a degree is very hard! So thought going for it after a few years in a similar area, with service & life experience would put me in good stead..? Plus, who knows, I have may have more qualifications by then... Not sure im ready to lead yet at 18, I just see airman as Intel Analyst a good step towards a commission. Surely if I display the qualities they want, plus some service and life experience, would act in my favour, rather than going to OASC now with a significantly less amount of life experience.

You say that it is even harder to commission from the ranks than from direct entry, I can't understand why... please put me in the know!

Many thanks

Last edited:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
What is wrong with doing some work before sitting back and taking it easy in the officers assylum?

Nothing at all. The difference between jlong951 and me is that when I was 18 I wasn't educationally qualified for a commission nor was I particularly interested in the big yellow cap badge; that came later.

Well I am under the impression that to get into the RAF as an intelligence officer without a degree is very hard! So thought going for it after a few years in a similar area, with service & life experience would put me in good stead..? Plus, who knows, I have may have more qualifications by then... Not sure im ready to lead yet at 18, I just see airman as Intel Analyst a good step towards a commission. Surely if I display the qualities they want, plus some service and life experience, would act in my favour, rather than going to OASC now with a significantly less amount of life experience.

Roughly speaking, half of all officer cadets are graduates, one-quarter are commissioned from the ranks and the remaining quarter are people in your present position.

There is no reason why you shouldn't join as an airman first, there is a lot to be said for it - Service and life experience being valuable assets. On the downside, you will be looking to go back into the training environment after some years in the 'real' RAF. That can be something of a culture shock.

If the only reason you don't want to go for it now is because you think you are too young to lead then why not apply and let OASC decide?

J

jlong951

Well I don't think at OASC I would have to much to show for really, i might have the aptitude to learn how to lead, and the educational requirements, however I havent ever had a job before where Ive worked in a professional environment.

Its something that is engraved in my mind and whenever I go through a little phase of thinking well maybe I should apply as an officer or NCA it pops up and I then go back to thinking well im going to be seriously disadvantaged in the life experience department. I think that surely the majority of other people I would be competing with would have something to show that they can lead and they have had real responsibilities before - whereas I havent... other than working in a supermarket and running a volunteer website for cancer research UK!

I suppose, its just that I really really want to do something useful and start supporting myself. I understand the whole process of applying as Officer or NCA can take ages, and if I was to get knocked back, well then thats more time wasted, then I find myself needing to re-apply again this time for an airman role..

G

gemarriott

Well I don't think at OASC I would have to much to show for really, i might have the aptitude to learn how to lead, and the educational requirements, however I havent ever had a job before where Ive worked in a professional environment.

Its something that is engraved in my mind and whenever I go through a little phase of thinking well maybe I should apply as an officer or NCA it pops up and I then go back to thinking well im going to be seriously disadvantaged in the life experience department. I think that surely the majority of other people I would be competing with would have something to show that they can lead and they have had real responsibilities before - whereas I havent... other than working in a supermarket and running a volunteer website for cancer research UK!

I suppose, its just that I really really want to do something useful and start supporting myself. I understand the whole process of applying as Officer or NCA can take ages, and if I was to get knocked back, well then thats more time wasted, then I find myself needing to re-apply again this time for an airman role..

sorry if this sounds brutal but it seems to me you are scaring yourself without any real reason other than you are naturally timid. Why are you so convinced you are going to fail? Start preparing to succeed or you will be stuck with failure forever!

J

jlong951

Im not being negative... i just thought I was being realistic, but I can see your point that if that's what I wanted it would be best to go for it now rather than later. Suppose there isn't really anything to loose. Anyone know typically how long the recruitmnet period could last, from application to OASC, then start date? Although know it varies...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
You've answered your own question there it varies. It could take from 6 months to up to 18 months.

You never know, you may surprise yourself. The people at OASC know what they're looking for and may see it in you, even if you can't. If you don't try - you'll never know.

P

PAGreenwell

Ever considered going to University and joining the Auggies?

F

Flaps100

Well I am under the impression that to get into the RAF as an intelligence officer without a degree is very hard! So thought going for it after a few years in a similar area, with service & life experience would put me in good stead..?
4 days ago you wanted to be a Regiment Officer. Okay, without being rude to you I can now see that you probably are not ready for Commissioning. Perhaps the Airman route is the right one for you.

J

jlong951

I didn't.. it was written by me, but not for me.. it was for a friend that I know without internet access so I posted what he wanted to know. I wrote it as if it was for me to save any comments...

F

Flaps100

Im currently considering joining the RAFP as a Policeman (airman) as im not currently quite old enough to join as an officer (must be 21 in RAFP).

And which mate was this for?

J

jlong951

Mate I don't have to, and will not, explain myself to you. Think what you like, but you really don't have a clue. Maybe you should just ignore and resist the tempation to post in threads like these in the future, then you wont create any possibilities for conflict.

F

Flaps100

I am trying to help you, but if you are not prepared to answer perfectly reasonable questions then I won't bother. Good luck with what ever Trade/Branch of the Royal Air Force you eventually decide on, but you will need an attitude transplant.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think you should get your story straight or put people into the picture as to what you're up to or you will attract the kind of attention you've had so ar on this thread...

I strongly suggest that you go to your nearest AFCO for a chat and let them assess you initially for suitability to go forward to OASC...

My feeling from what you've typed here, and I accept that it's slim pickings to make an assessment with, is that you may as well apply but you may be wasting your time if you're as under-confident as you come across...

Last edited:

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Just apply, if you get it great, if not then you'll have some experience if you apply from the ranks in a few years.

stingray888

Sergeant
I never met an officer who had come up through the ranks who wasn't a complete t0sser. They were either little Hitlers or wanted to be "one of the lads"
My advice would be to go for a commission to start with. You will soon find out if you're good enough or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.