• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closing Muharraq

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
How awesome is that?????? All those within Trade Group 9 who are sand dodgers that pick and choose their dets might have to do a proper det now.

One fecker at Shawbury will be crying in his squash

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Have to say it's one of the "nicer" dets !! Spent a month there guarding a tent....when the 'rod was on the ground...otherwise didnt need guarding.....lots of rates (before JPA) and we stayed in the 5* Gulf hotel.....good old Sherlocks bar..i ate, slept and drank myself stupid there.....TABS are a really bad idea !!!

Crack on.............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

P

POB

It will be a terrible day if they do close the det completely...And as for sand dodging SSH, hah, what do you know? I'll have you know there is loads of sand in Bahrain, why I even had to call for the staff to clean the sand out of the aircon units sometimes...There was even a time once, when the pool temperature thing went wrong and I had to wait a whole 3 hours before I could go swimming in the rooftop pool. It was very distressing I tell you!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
It will be a terrible day if they do close the det completely...And as for sand dodging SSH, hah, what do you know? I'll have you know there is loads of sand in Bahrain, why I even had to call for the staff to clean the sand out of the aircon units sometimes...There was even a time once, when the pool temperature thing went wrong and I had to wait a whole 3 hours before I could go swimming in the rooftop pool. It was very distressing I tell you!

Not having a pop at you POB, just some of the feckers in our trade who get up and down graded when Bahrain comes along.. Besides I got bored with Bahrain :pDT_Xtremez_19:

P

POB

I loved Bahrain, but would not really want to go back for another det...It got a bit repetative towards the end.

Day 1: Work
Day 2: Air hostess
Day 3: Work
Day 4: Air hostess
Day 5: Work
Day 6: Air hostess

etc etc...

I couldn't believe it when the poster rang me and asked if I would be able to go to "Some place called Muherrr, Muharr, erm, look I can't pronounce it but its in the desert." I kind of bit his hand off!

P

POB

Hi,
has anyone else heard the rumour that they are going to close Muharraq and moving to pastures new?:pDT_Xtremez_17:

To answer your question, not heard the rumour, and would be very surprised if it went completely. Can't say why, too public, but I was lead to believe that the RAF would be there, in some form or another, for a very long time. The det has shrunk a lot just recently, but there are still a few there, could it have been this that you heard?

Last edited:

Meathead

LAC
They were on about shutting it down when I was there in 02.

Best det ive been on!
Came back about a stone heavier, 2 and half grand better off, laden in gold and then the fcukers gave me a medal FFS!!

So what if its an easy det...

Was coming around to holiday time again, phoned the drafter, asked if MHQ was due, informed that someone had glassbacked, short notice, if i want it chuck in a gen app, 2 weeks later bobs your uncle...cheers easy.

If you dont ask you dont get!!

Yep it's the only really decent det left, italy was good, i was in muharraq 2000, brilliant place, good laugh. i hope they don't close it, people say that al udeid is good and seeb.

W

wgaf

Does anyone remember the two gulf air stewardesses getting sent home in the mid 90's after testing positive for HIV ?

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Hunters lodge sizzling steaks, Warblers pork sausage and mash, TCs for fit birds and bevvy, Dip on a wed for prize kareoke oooh yes!

Used to go across the causeway from that stinking sh1te hole that is saudi at every opportunity when we did 4 monthers on the Sqn at Daharan.

C

Comms_Lad

Hunters lodge sizzling steaks, Warblers pork sausage and mash, TCs for fit birds and bevvy, Dip on a wed for prize kareoke oooh yes!

Used to go across the causeway from that stinking sh1te hole that is saudi at every opportunity when we did 4 monthers on the Sqn at Daharan.

Nah, Nah, Nah you got it all wrong you go to Warblers for the Rib Eye Steak, and Nelson and the band (feckin awesome).

As for the rumours about the lovely det closing down, that rumour has been in and out of fashion for a couple of years now. When I went 3yrs ago the rumour was out then and from what people were saying then it had happened before. So just like the other rumours in the forces (pay 2000 happening in 2000) ill believe it when I see it. lol:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Ahh spent many a happy hour bouncing between the bars out there. I was gutted when we got turfed because we were 'having a good time'. As pleasant as Bahrain is we still worked bloody hard. Not heard any rumours about it shutting though, but have heard some about us heading back. Since we're no longer there I can't think of any reason for it to be open. The shiny little thing that's there in our place could easily be rehoused somewhere else.
I think shutting the DOB completely would also mean it being lost to UK personnel forever, so we could always keep it open 'just in case'.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Totally agree with you SSH, people are sudenly becoming medically upgraded when bahrain appears on the horizon. Bloody good - get into the sand and get some real work done.

Last edited:
C

Captain Gatso

They can't close down Barhain. Went there during 2000. What a place. I remember all the bars were fighting to get our custom. Warblers always managed to get the hotel minibus to pick us up. There burgers were fantastic. The gold souk was great. Shopping brilliant, were could you get a suit for for 30 dinars. Worked my arse off during the day though. Went through five bottles of water in an hour working on the jets. All got a bit stupid after 9/11 though. The Americans only been allowed out of there camp two months before 9/11. After one sailor had apparently run off with some saudi princes.