• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clearance from units - Post JPA

S

Scrufty Bear

Hi,

Have just found out I'm posted, yay!! Luckily it's to the unit where I already live in qtrs so don't have the removals faff etc. However, I rang my unit admin the other day and enquired about clearing from the unit. The response was "no, you don't have to clear. It's up to your own integrity if you owe money to accts etc to go and sort it." Still confused at this point and then was told that I didn't even have to go in to PSF at all, just let them know my posting date and they would sort everything out.

Now, showing my age, but I'd rather have the old clearance form where you run round like an idiot for a couple of days, going backwards and forwards to the same office because no-one will sign the card out of the right order!! At least you knew that you were properly cleared and there was no come back.

Can anyone please explain clearance procedures (or pm me if necessary), as I don't know if this is a general way to do it now or if it's just my unit being a bit strange!!

Cheers T.

M

mumof4

My other half ran round like a headless chicken for two days back in march when clearing getting his little bitty paper stamped.

R

Reformed Scribbly

It is unwise for a unit not to still have a clearance procedure in place, as we all know JPA is far from perfect and there are still many aspects that it does not cover. It's good housekeeping sense to still go through a form of clearance as having to chase individuals for information/funds/property can often be a fruitless and thankless task.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
There was an entry in Leuchars SRO's stating that "Although there is no longer the need to clear from the Station because of JPA, personnel still need to go to Clothing Stores". When I went to hand in my car pass on leaving the unit, I was told I should have cleared from them as well. You can't win!!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
You can't bin clearing!!!
That's for wasting away your last week, doing naff all and claiming, when asked to do a job, that you are just about to go back to such and such an office as they asked you to come back at such and such a time to clear!!
Oh, and the more unscrupulous of characters will probably do one when they owe money or didnt sort something they should have upon leaving!

Clearing = a persons fundamental right to skive in the last week prior to posting.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Essentially, its up to the Unit what the clearance procedure is; I've spent the last 6 years trying to reduce ours only for sections to ring up and insist that they're put on the chit! If you're unit don't want you to clear that's up to them but as Reformed Scribbly says, its a risky game!

J

JetLaverick

Having been out for ten yrs don't know the JPA but if no clearing procedure what happens with Inventory holders?
Sounds a bit dross to me!

S

Scrufty Bear

Thanks for all your replys. I'm on a tiny tri-service unit in the south west, so dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. I'm not an inventory holder or such like, but have a good mind to go to all section and do it anyway.

If anyone else can still shed light on things, any info would be cool.

cheers T.

PSF Angel

LAC
At Leuchars there is no need for formal clearance as every single assigment order is put onto a movements roll for all to see on the Leuchars PSF webpage. If the section wants them to clear then it's the section who can do the chasing. Once the posting date comes around they then email all the relevant sections and let them know that they have gone and ask them to make sure any docs are sent on to the new unit.

However, personnel who are discharged still do a full and thorough clearance.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
At Leuchars there is no need for formal clearance as every single assigment order is put onto a movements roll for all to see on the Leuchars PSF webpage. If the section wants them to clear then it's the section who can do the chasing. Once the posting date comes around they then email all the relevant sections and let them know that they have gone and ask them to make sure any docs are sent on to the new unit.

Yeh, but as I said in POST#4, Passes and Permits had a go because I didn't clear from them!!!

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
Yeh, but as I said in POST#4, Passes and Permits had a go because I didn't clear from them!!!

You still have to clear, or visit, the appropriate areas of the station before you depart. It is just that PSF, or most PSFs these days, are not going to check up that you did; it is now your responsibility. For example, if you don't sort out your inventory before you go, a bill will follow you shortly thereafter.

So for those who thought that they were going to loose the right, or need, to wander round the unit for 2 days (or in some cases 2 weeks) then you are OK.

Boarderlyne

Sergeant

Not wishing to sound cynical, but I will. Every section will duly view the webpage daily for the first month or so then after that, you will be lucky if they view the page once a week. And then when people Foxtrot Oscar leaving bills, Inventories, missing kit, etc, it will be the PD Clk/Unit Admin Clk who is at fault for allowing these alleged 'reprobates' to leave the Unit without clearing their mess up behind them.

Easy to catch the odd SAC or Cpl but how many clerks are going to shaft themselves over a strong-willed Wg Cdr leaving a Unit on promotion?

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
Not wishing to sound cynical, but I will. Every section will duly view the webpage daily for the first month or so then after that, you will be lucky if they view the page once a week. And then when people Foxtrot Oscar leaving bills, Inventories, missing kit, etc, it will be the PD Clk/Unit Admin Clk who is at fault for allowing these alleged 'reprobates' to leave the Unit without clearing their mess up behind them.

Easy to catch the odd SAC or Cpl but how many clerks are going to shaft themselves over a strong-willed Wg Cdr leaving a Unit on promotion?

But that used to happen anyway. You would be suprised at how many people used to forge signatures on the old clearance card. If the Chf Clk is worth his salt, it will not be the PD Clk who gets it in the neck - I remember someone issuing a sqn ldr with a bill for £480 for some APs (not that he needed them as he had been posted from one aircraft type to another) that he self certified he'd returned. Funny old thing, the APs came back shortly after.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
But that used to happen anyway. You would be suprised at how many people used to forge signatures on the old clearance card. If the Chf Clk is worth his salt, it will not be the PD Clk who gets it in the neck - I remember someone issuing a sqn ldr with a bill for £480 for some APs (not that he needed them as he had been posted from one aircraft type to another) that he self certified he'd returned. Funny old thing, the APs came back shortly after.

There is no-one better at forging signatures than a PD clerk, and we can almost always spot them on a clearance chit. If we like you we feign ignorance, otherwise the clearance chitty goes in the shredder and we make you do it again. I did that to a prima donna test pilot once. Bar steward went back around the station and did it properly, though.

At my present unit we still have a clearance chit. We are forever trying to cut sections out of it, only for them to whinge that it is essential they see people before they leave. Well, the bicycle store is important don't you know?

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
There is no-one better at forging signatures than a PD clerk, and we can almost always spot them on a clearance chit. If we like you we feign ignorance, otherwise the clearance chitty goes in the shredder and we make you do it again. I did that to a prima donna test pilot once. Bar steward went back around the station and did it properly, though.

At my present unit we still have a clearance chit. We are forever trying to cut sections out of it, only for them to whinge that it is essential they see people before they leave. Well, the bicycle store is important don't you know?

Spot them! I can tell you a funny story about that. The CMC of a Sgts Mess was sat in the Mess Office one day when a Sgt walked in. After a discussion with the civilian Mess Manager as to why the MM would not sign the card because he owed a significant mess bill, he stormed out of the office uttering the words "fcuk you, I will sign it myself". Imagine his horror when he pitched up at PSF and the CMC (WOPSF) was sat behind the PD Clk.

It now gets me that people can be trusted to work on aircraft and have peoples lives in their hands, or deal with multi million pounds worth of kit. However, getting them to take responsibility for their own life causes such a fuss. Just like JPA, it is a cultural change, one that people will have to get used to as we become a smaller airforce.

pomp101

LAC
Ive just cleared from my current unit... the clearance chit comprised of 4 signatures required! took me a whole 30minutes and that included "borrowing" some boxes from supply!

I was looking forward to at least 1 day out of the office :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Forged signatures isn't the only problem with clearances. I did a full clearance from my last unit (including SCAF as I was an inventory holder) so I know everything was in order on my chit when I passed to my PD clerk.

Why was it then that when my hubby tired to clear from the same Unit about 4 month's later he was told he hadn't cleared his inventory and the SAC in SCAF wouldn't sign his card. Que one ****ed off hubby who promptly pointed out to the SAC he did not have an inventory and what was the initials and service number of the inventory holder on record. It seems that the SCAF records had not been updated to reflect that the said inventory had been closed and the stuff on it either transferred or written off (it was my old inventory), thankfully there were at least two people in the office who knew about the inventory and soon put the SAC in his place.

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Spot them! I can tell you a funny story about that. The CMC of a Sgts Mess was sat in the Mess Office one day when a Sgt walked in. After a discussion with the civilian Mess Manager as to why the MM would not sign the card because he owed a significant mess bill, he stormed out of the office uttering the words "fcuk you, I will sign it myself". Imagine his horror when he pitched up at PSF and the CMC (WOPSF) was sat behind the PD Clk..

10/10 for the humour. I can relate to stories like that. A good mate often used to advise me of officers that tried to buck the system and the officers usually found themselves on the wrong end of a one-way chat with the AOC. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

W

wgaf

Spot them! I can tell you a funny story about that. The CMC of a Sgts Mess was sat in the Mess Office one day when a Sgt walked in. After a discussion with the civilian Mess Manager as to why the MM would not sign the card because he owed a significant mess bill, he stormed out of the office uttering the words "fcuk you, I will sign it myself". Imagine his horror when he pitched up at PSF and the CMC (WOPSF) was sat behind the PD Clk.

It now gets me that people can be trusted to work on aircraft and have peoples lives in their hands, or deal with multi million pounds worth of kit. However, getting them to take responsibility for their own life causes such a fuss. Just like JPA, it is a cultural change, one that people will have to get used to as we become a smaller airforce.[/quote]

Why should we when we minions like you to do stuff for us? We have much more important things to do.

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd

It now gets me that people can be trusted to work on aircraft and have peoples lives in their hands, or deal with multi million pounds worth of kit. However, getting them to take responsibility for their own life causes such a fuss. Just like JPA, it is a cultural change, one that people will have to get used to as we become a smaller airforce.[/quote]

Why should we when we minions like you to do stuff for us? We have much more important things to do.

I am sure that the Chf Clk at your Unit can produce a dedicated clearance card just for you when you get posted, with sections that have to be visited and signatures gained in strict order, A suggestion maybe, Regt Sect, MT Training and Licencing, DE(HD), Air Publications Store, Main Guardroom, etc.